• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chillies

S

scopedope

Ihave grown some chilli plants that are now covered with chilliies, not being much of a gardener I was wondering if anybody could help. I was under the impression that they went green then red. The only problem is several have gone black but others have stayed green all one the same plants. They are not bad as when I have cut them open they as fresh as the green ones. Is this normal or do you get black chillies, the wife asked that one. Thanks in anticipation

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Try having a look here.

http://www.botany.com/capsicum.htm

or here because some varieties also turn black before ripening.

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=43310.0;prev_next=next

The blackness however may have another cause. If you have greenfly on your plants they will secrete a sugary liquid as a byproduct this will drip onto fruits and leaves of the plant. This sugar forms the basis for a black mould to form on the surface. From what I can gather it's harmless but it can discolour your chillies. I depends wether the black is in patches and blotches rather than the whole fruit being a uniform black colour I suppose.

Last edited:
We've just grown some ourselves and ours went a black colour before turning red. If any others turn a black colour just try leaving them a few more days and they might turn red.

S

scopedope

Thanks for that, no greenfly or fungus. I don't know what variety these are but they certainly liven up a curry. Thanks again.

F

Firm Ovary Syntax Slap

This has to win the award for most sh1t first post on the goat.

As for chillies, the hottest one I ever ate was pure white. Hellish little thing, it was.

If such an award existed I would have to insert that in your anus, Mr Chilli Nonce.

S

Syntax Slap Firm Ovary

Has anybody ever tried The ají pepper, also known as Peruvian hot pepper...ouch!