• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cheapest European cities.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Im looking to take a few european city breaks this year. Im looking for value for money when I get there. I don't mind oaying extravfor air travel if I can make it back in cheap beer and good food

Ive been to budapest, prague, bratislava, krakow so looking for somewhere different.

On another note going on a stag do to Hamburg in August. (Stag is into the beatles), how cgeap/expensive is Germany these days. Any tips of where to go. Went to the reeperbahn in the 90s and thexstag would like to go off the beaten track so to speak.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Nowhere in Europe is what you would call cheap nowadays. Prague is one of the most expensive places to go to. Even Riga is ramping up nowadays.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Got to agree with Warick... Europe is VERY expensive now, prices pushed up a ready supply of tourists on budget airlines Amsterdam isnt too bad though, or fly into Eindhoven from Stansted, hire a car and go and relive A Bridge too Far, taking in Eindhoven, Nijmagen and Arnhem.. Good bars in all cities.

Funky

LAC
Done a bit of a European road trip couple years ago in an old pink limo. Great fun. Lille was lovely and not too expensive. Andermatt was very quiet and like stepping back in time 20years, St Christina was stunning but quiet. Prague was great fun.
One of the guys in work has been to Warsaw twice in the last 3 months with his Missus and loves it. Cheap beer, lots to see and relatively easy to get to.
But it depends if its a couples break or lads jolly?

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Have a look at this link....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...987/The-10-cheapest-European-city-breaks.html

Have you had a look at Gibraltar? More bars than you can shake a stick at, fantastic weather, still reasonably priced and dead easy to hire a car and get over the border and up the Costas for a change of bar scenery.

Gibraltar is probably the equivalent to your average UK town or city price wise. In fact I'd say most of the UK is cheaper to drink in than most Eurozone places. Bulgaria is still relatively cheap to visit if the ski resorts are anything to go by.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Belgrade is well cheap, I went for a long weekend with Mrs Ted. I think we spent less than a hundred quid but ate and drank out all the time and did lots of touristy things. Other cheap places I've been to in the last few years that haven't already been mentioned are Chisinau, Skopje, Bucharest and Minsk. I've booked to go to Rzeszow in Poland later this year, don't know what's there but it's cheap flights and Poland is usually good value for money. Baltic states are quite cheap too. Prague can be cheap if you choose restaurants and bars aimed at the locals rather than tourists. Warsaw was cheap for food and beer but Mrs Ted bought some clothes and the prices were similar to the UK. Kiev was cheap but maybe wait until things settle down a bit.

If you're going to Hamburg there's Groninger Privatbrauerei on Willy-Brandt Strasse. It's in a massive cellar but no beer garden. Great food and beer brewed in the cellar. You can get the most humungus platter with sausages, meatloaf, sauerkraut and potatoes, it's well worth a visit. There's also a Hofbrauhaus on Esplanade, 8 which was ok.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I went to Constanta once in Romania...It's a sh1t hole in parts but still has lots of the communist architecture and huge statues and is a seaside resort but the appealing bit was that my daily allowance was £30 a day for lunch, dinner and drinks and I struggled to spend it...obviously I did spend it but I went up a bra size in the process! It's one of those places where a bar would have a collection of Cayennes/X5's parked outside but there would be someone going through the bins for their tea!

I spent a little time in Sophia which was interesting for many reasons...Bulgaria can be cheaper in other smaller towns but it was still fine with a beer for less than a quid. Tons of places to wander around and sort of adhoc markets that sold just about anything including gold fillings that the stallholder told me were taken from dead German soldiers during WW2!

G

Gord

"gold fillings that the stallholder told me were taken from dead German soldiers during WW2!" Who probably got them from the millions of Jews who went through the concentration camps.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think you possibly meant "Sofia", Vim.

Unless you are a film buff of dubious sexual taste.

I stand by my original statement...which is something Sophia couldn't do for some time after.