• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Charity Idea

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Fellow swingers of the hallowed sticks of alleged promotion I wish to pick your brains. I am thinking of organising a Lands End to John O'Groats golf challenge. I have a straight forward format in my head, that being playing one course in the counties and scottish regions that link the two working in a south to north diredtion. I have a couple of routes in mind and have 14 days as a target time, looking at 1 round per day plus travel and recovery. The main aim is to get the challenge completed and raise as much cash for my chosen charities, as well as play thehome of golf, but as yet have to approach courses/clubs to see if they're willing to let a RAF fourball play gratis and if possible feed us for a bit of publicity. All I ask from you at the moment is suggestions of courses to play in whatever counties you think the route may go through, the duration can be extended to suit. Ideally I'm looking for long yet good courses as the handicap spectrum will be quite broad. I shall also be looking to utilise military accomodation as much as is reasonable to keep costs/begging down.

At the moment things are still in the planning phase but all input and guidance will be most welcome. The caharities I'm looking to support are one that is national and one local. They are MacMillan cancer support and Severn hospice (see links below). I have my resasons, mainly the fact that Mrs Techie is currently battling cancer and we have recieved so much support from both organisations I want to give something back. Once I get up and running with the challenge I shall post more information and hope to get myself to grips with online donations. Thank you for your time reading this and hope you can give some good suggestions of courses to play, ideally starting with Devon and Cornwall.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx

http://severnhospice.org.uk/

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
You could start by trawling the the courses each station has an affiliation with en route. Here are the POCs for last season. This will not only give you a good footing with regards to cheap/free golf but also help with the publicity.

I have helped a few similar events in the past, I think the key for fund raising is to stretch yourself, if it looks like it will be a grueling event people will be likely to cough up. I would consider doing it when the days are long and doing 36 holes per day, it will take hell of an effort, but you will then complete it in a week, and give you far bigger bragging rights.

Typical day...

0700 tee off
1130 round complete (worst case)
1300 Fed and watered, start driving.
1530 150 miles traveled
1600 Tee off
2030 2nd round complete

etc etc

If you stick up a list of counties I am sure we can quickly fill it with some great courses that have military links.

Cornwall - Trevose golf club, great course near St Mawgan, RAF Champs has been played there a few times.

Devon - Woodbury Park, Very good course at the foot of the M5 owned by Nigel Mansel.

Somerset - Yeovil Golf Club, great parkland course affiliated with RNAS Yeovilton.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
2 rounds a day sounds like a top idea, could even push it to 28 counties and regions and bring wales into the equation. I shall put a 14 and 28 round route together and see what people think.