• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CEA allowance for admins

B

Bizjetter

Hi,

I have been to see my AFCO careers office today and went through a list of about 40 questions about the RAF and RAF life.

I have thought of a couple more leading on from things I was told, I wonder if anyone can help?

1) As a Personnel Support how often might you be deployed abroad unaccompanied?

2) How much chance would I have to work in a NATO or FCO role, or personal assistant to Officer?

3) If I got my choice of local base as first posting (and able stay in our own home & commute) I understand I wouldn't move unless I was promoted. Does this mean that I would not be eligible for CEA for my son? I am a bit confused about CEA. His education means a lot to me, and if I have a chance of sending him to a good private school I would jump at the chance. If it means choosing another trade that is eligible I might consider that...

Thanks!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I'm not 100% sure what the present turnaround time is for Pers (Spt) but it was down to around 2 years between deployments not so long ago. Certainly I know a lot of adminers who have been deployed in their first year out of training.

The chances of you getting posted to a NATO unit overseas are fairly good, particularly in comparison with other trades, however, you should realise that the opportunities - while comparatively good - are limited and there will invariably be a number of people applying for each vacancy. If by FCO you mean an embassy somewhere around the world, that won't happen until you make at least Sgt.

To be eligible for CEA your career manager would have to certify that there is a likelihood that you will be posted more than 50 miles away (from your first post-training unit) within 4 years. The chances of that happening are not specifically tied to promotion but you stand a better chance of moving in a trade like Pers (Spt) than in many others. I would advise against making your trade choice based on whether you may become eligible for CEA, though. 9 years is a long time to do a job for which you have no real motivation.