• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cbt

M

mad_mo

Does anyone know. when a CBT is taken, do you have to re-take it again once the certificate runs out. I think it has a 2 year period on it.

Cheers.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Does anyone know. when a CBT is taken, do you have to re-take it again once the certificate runs out. I think it has a 2 year period on it.

Cheers.

if you cert runs out and you havent upgrade to a small capacity licence or the a full capacity licecne then you will have to retake your CBT. (unless thing have changed in the 3 years since i did mine)

CBT-http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

As a side note best do your direct access post haste as the rules changing about having a big bike licence, like you cant have one for a while. cant find owt on net yet, will post if i can find it.

basically if your over 25 you can do direct access the current age limit is 21.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/archive/86493/86816/86884/86905/?&R=EPI-86905

Last edited:

The Loan Ranger

Corporal
You have 2 years from date of issue to upgrade it, did Direct Access in May this year and haven't looked back so go for rhe big bike licence before it changes for the worse, test is being made bloody hard to pass that's what my instructor said anyway

M

mad_mo

if you cert runs out and you havent upgrade to a small capacity licence or the a full capacity licecne then you will have to retake your CBT. (unless thing have changed in the 3 years since i did mine)

As a side note best do your direct access post haste as the rules changing about having a big bike licence.

Cheers. I only have a 125 which does the job. Im not that big into bikes to take a full test.

So when my cert expires, Do I have to take a more advanced test then?.

Parky

Corporal
If memory serves once you have taken your restricted test, you are then limited to a 33bhp bike for a year upon which you automatically upgrade to an unlimited licence, If you are happy with your 125 i would still suggest taking your test before the powers that be decided change the CBT rules.

for anyone else interested the 33bhp limit can be applied to any bike. you could take a GSXR1000 from a showroom and have it restricted to 33bhp though i would not recommend it.

M

mad_mo

Horses for courses, cant be doing with plastic pocket rockets myself, prefer a muscle bike. last one i had was a Bandit 12 that had been tinkered with.

I must say though. I have a Sym Joyride 125 and its a superb runner. Ive taken it up to London from Southampton many times. It just reaches under 70mph.

Ohh and it leaves the chavs on there 50cc's standing. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Horses for courses, cant be doing with plastic pocket rockets myself, prefer a muscle bike. last one i had was a Bandit 12 that had been tinkered with.

Horses for courses indeed, scared my self to death on a bandit 12. so many torques i very nearly went of the back when it decided to become a monobike. And i normally ride a RSV mille which has enough torque to turn the world. The new street triple 675 for £5320 looks like its going to be a good seller this year.

Parky

Corporal
I am being tempted by a 93 GTS1000 at the moment, always fancied somthing different and always fancied Fightering one of these, Just been looking around for mods for the Exup engine that it runs.

tourettes

Corporal
If memory serves once you have taken your restricted test, you are then limited to a 33bhp bike for a year upon which you automatically upgrade to an unlimited licence, If you are happy with your 125 i would still suggest taking your test before the powers that be decided change the CBT rules.QUOTE]

Done my A1 test in February, the 33BHP/25KW applies for two years before you are upgraded automatically.

Yes you can call me a gayer if you want as I'm riding an old GPZ500s thats been restricted, but it still got enough poke to make me smile on the way to work.

fileeth

Corporal
I believe you can get your bike test done through the Mob (i'm sure a goater will correct me if i'm misinformed!)
It depends if your PIC number is established for it or who you know to blag a space but the training is done at Leconfield and includes a week on the Harleys crosscountrying at the end of the course:pDT_Xtremez_30:

tourettes

Corporal
Fileeth, thats how I did my test, first couple of days is CBT & training rides then Test on Friday (retest on the Monday if you are unlucky).

The 2nd week is navexes on road then the x-country phase which is some of the best fun I've had with my clothes on!
Try doing x-country at night with no lights on, trying to follow the cyalume thats bodge taped to the back of the instructors helmet, interesting!

GunnerP

SAC
When I was in Cyprus, you could take your test at the local test centre. You just rode up the road, turned round and rode back and hey presto - full licence.
One of the lads on 34 actually knocked a woman over whilst taking his test and still passed:pDT_Xtremez_35:

P

Parky

Corporal
Did my course in NI, did the CBT at Aldergrove and my test over in Holywood.

My mate was an instructor and managed to borrow a couple of bikes from our powers that be, and his mate was the examiner, so hey presto majority of our unit got free bike licences.