• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CAS Station Visits

fatbaldchief

Corporal
I had the pleasure of been ordered to attend a briefing very recently from CAS Air Chief (Not a proper Chief, he's not fat or bald) Marshal Torpy and would like to know if any other members of the Goat have had the pleasure?

A very nice man, know of him from my Tornado days, who gave a very honest account of the RAF future vision to a rapt crowd of all sorts of Non Commissioned type rapscallions. Even PTIs. You could tell. They had posh jackets on.

Obviously, we cannot discuss specifics here but does anyone think that this level of bigwig contact is needed/appropriate/does any good/ improves morale/increases knowledge/addresses specific problems/eases worries?

Or do you think we should just do what we are told as per Trenchards days?

I know people seem to want 'What kind of Cheese am I?' Threads here lately but I just hoped to get some real feedback and opinion from the switched on real (Not pond life) people in today's Mother Air Force.

Thank you for listening. And ............... discuss.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
These type of "forums" are good IF the participating lecturers are willing to give honest answers. I for one have never been to one where i thought yeah i know where they are coming from and i agree with what they say.

Have to say i have been in the RAF 21 years and so far have only met 1 officer i trust and respect.......(Now Grp cpt) Colin Basnett...ex ranker (of wich most officers are complete knobs) he looked afer our sqn and made it what it was....since he has gone the sqn has gone to "rat****" and the snco's and jnco's are doing just that...jumping ship to civvi street.

F

Fablon biff chit

Personally I would like to see more feedback from the grassroots level. Like that "U need 2 know" thing.....

U

UpLander

I am meeting the CAS tomorrow, at the 6 monthly CAS Forum, any juicy pieces of news I will post on here when I am back. Got to go from Cranwell straight to Warton for meeting Fri, so won't get back to you all until Sat at the earliest. Not met the new one yet, so no opinion yet, going with (naive?) open mind.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
A senior Hired Help who actually listens and takes notice and actualy does something about it (It'll never catch on) would be nice. Rather than someone who says he's listening, but actually doesn't give a flying fook about the shop floor and would rather butt fook us dry with sh1te computer systems and new ways of working, just to boost their pension plan and set themselves up with an Executive Directorship Sir. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Rant over - all calm now.

Chaka

Sergeant
How do we not know that CAS does not visit the Goat? If he did who would he be? PS or ILLBW? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

I am sure that the CAS wants the best for the RAF, he is just tied to the Politicians and Bean Counters of this dreadful Government.:pDT_Xtremez_25:

Remember the CAS sh1ts like the rest of you, he just has a gold bog seat to sit on every day and unlike the rest of us, a full pay retirement fund to look forward too. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Some good points Chaka. I do believe that the full pay pension has gone out of the window now, feel free to correct me any Shiny types.

Having being an IPTer I do know that money makes the World go round, irregardless of Government, and we have to do the best with what we have.

My concern is are we buying what equipment we really need to support the kind of operations we are likely to be involved in?

Contracts, Politics, jobs and local area concerns all play a part but are we getting what we need?

What do we need? What do you Goaters need to be able to do your job properly?

And CAS is Penguins Suck without a doubt!:pDT_Xtremez_35:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
I agree he is a top bloke Bit. However, when he visited an SH base in the south all he talked about was Typhoon and how it is so important, top of the list etc. Typhoon will never leave the country except for selling it to the Saudis. Not the type of thing you need to hear when half the base is deployed 6 months of the year with helicopters.

Someone came out with the stats the other week that the two SH bases provide nearly 40% of the deployed manpower in the two hot theatres.

fatbaldchief

Corporal
SirSaltyHelmet said:
I agree he is a top bloke Bit. However, when he visited an SH base in the south all he talked about was Typhoon and how it is so important, top of the list etc. Typhoon will never leave the country except for selling it to the Saudis. Not the type of thing you need to hear when half the base is deployed 6 months of the year with helicopters.

Someone came out with the stats the other week that the two SH bases provide nearly 40% of the deployed manpower in the two hot theatres.

We have bought Typhoon and there is nothing contractually we can do about it now so we will have to make it work.

What can we use it for?

And I don't mean melt it down to make Chinooks. :pDT_Xtremez_06:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
fatbaldchief said:
We have bought Typhoon and there is nothing contractually we can do about it now so we will have to make it work.

What can we use it for?

And I don't mean melt it down to make Chinooks. :pDT_Xtremez_06:

I am not saying that buddy, just there is more to the RAF than Typhoon and other fast and pointy things. It wouldn't go to the Stan for years, it might make Al Udied in a few, but that is it. Looks good on the display circuit though

fatbaldchief

Corporal
SirSaltyHelmet said:
I am not saying that buddy, just there is more to the RAF than Typhoon and other fast and pointy things. It wouldn't go to the Stan for years, it might make Al Udied in a few, but that is it. Looks good on the display circuit though

Sorry Sir Salts didn't mean that response to be curt. I agree totally. My last IPT involvement was chiefly with SH and I know how hard they work and how hard pushed they are and it was constantly frustrating that they seemed to be way down the pecking order.

The Typhoon thing was meant to be a general question along the lines of 'We got it, what we gonna do with it?'

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
fatbaldchief said:
Sorry Sir Salts didn't mean that response to be curt. I agree totally. My last IPT involvement was chiefly with SH and I know how hard they work and how hard pushed they are and it was constantly frustrating that they seemed to be way down the pecking order.

The Typhoon thing was meant to be a general question along the lines of 'We got it, what we gonna do with it?'

I didn't take it as curt, must be the JD hangover. With reference to the "We got it etc", as I said, it is great on the airshow circuit

Kiwistacker

Clinically Insane
Chaka said:
How do we not know that CAS does not visit the Goat? If he did who would he be? PS or ILLBW? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

I am sure that the CAS wants the best for the RAF, he is just tied to the Politicians and Bean Counters of this dreadful Government.:pDT_Xtremez_25:

Remember the CAS sh1ts like the rest of you, he just has a gold bog seat to sit on every day and unlike the rest of us, a full pay retirement fund to look forward too. :pDT_Xtremez_30:
Just referring back to Chaka's quote,

Do you think that senior RAF officers visit the goat to get a true feel of what we, the pond life are really feeling?

I look like Bruce Willis

I Suck Like George Michael
NEQcounter said:
Just referring back to Chaka's quote,

Do you think that senior RAF officers visit the goat to get a true feel of what we, the pond life are really feeling?

If they do, I am sure that they will be disappointed by the low intellectual level of posts on here; apart from mine that is.

D

Dirk Thrust

I look like Bruce Willis said:
If they do, I am sure that they will be disappointed by the low intellectual level of posts on here; apart from mine that is.

If you have nothing worth while or constructive to say, keep your gob shut

I look like Bruce Willis

I Suck Like George Michael
Dirk Thrust said:
If you have nothing worth while or constructive to say, keep your gob shut

And your post was constructive and worthwhile how?

Are you seriously suggesting that the CAS would be impressed by the majority of threads on here? Mind you having had a quick look at the majority of your posts I place you firmly in the bottom 10% of the intellectually able who post on here.

What you should be doing at a CAS presentation is sitting smartly down and listening to what he has to say, I am sure he will have a lot to say about Airpower and process re-engineering using LEAN methodology.

fatbaldchief

Corporal
This was supposed to be a grown up thread. I do not like the fact that an attempted hi-jacking by a follically challenged Gimp has arisen. Please refrain, chimp.

I am aware that in certain dark corridors in Whitehall 'The Goat' and the glory boys over technical high brow 'ner ner ner' crewroom that is 'PPRUNE' are examined and reported on on a daily basis. I was told this by a man who had a thick stripe, then some thin ones and another thick one, I think. Can't be sure I had a hangover.

fatbaldchief

Corporal
I look like Bruce Willis said:
What you should be doing at a CAS presentation is sitting smartly down and listening to what he has to say, I am sure he will have a lot to say about Airpower and process re-engineering using LEAN methodology.

I did, I did and he did and he didn't.:pDT_Xtremez_32: