• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Career in Civvi Aviation

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
....The Technical Paper is something like 5000 or so words to demonstrate that for IEng you have engineering bachelors degree academic knowledge, or for CEng that you have postgraduate (or Masters) engineering academic knowledge - and this means theory. This must be matched with appropiate grad/postgrad experience.

Not having any experience of the Railway world, I was assuming that some sort of supervisory technicians job would be all I could get when I left the RAF initially. If I could go in at Engineer level straight away, I would be happy to do so, unfortunately, without testing the water somewhat, it is difficult to know what route to take.

Network Rail run a cross-over scheme for Engineering personnel with a minimum of a HNC and 5 years of experience - would this be a suitable path to go down?

Another route I was looking at was a company called Engineering Service Group based at Toton Depot, Notts. they take graduates with Engineering degrees and fastrack you to CEng, however, it seems they want me to have an accredited degree, so I'm thinking get IEng or at least as far as I can with it before I leave the forces before I apply?

I don't think the technical report will be a problem for me IMHO, I'm quite academic when I want to be.

Last edited:
Not having any experience of the Railway world, I was assuming that some sort of supervisory technicians job would be all I could get when I left the RAF initially.

As I said, if you didn't have that damn degree ......

If I could go in at Engineer level straight away, I would be happy to do so, unfortunately, without testing the water somewhat, it is difficult to know what route to take.

Do they still do those Familiarisation Attachments, Work Experience weeks and so on? If so, use them for this. Have a natter with your SEdTO about what resettlement courses are applicable - I don't know haw far in advance of demob you can do these, though. Have a look at some of those university short courses - apart from a week on the p!ss they are (were) very good.

Network Rail run a cross-over scheme for Engineering personnel with a minimum of a HNC and 5 years of experience - would this be a suitable path to go down?.

Sounds good to me, matey.

Another route I was looking at was a company called Engineering Service Group based at Toton Depot, Notts. they take graduates with Engineering degrees and fastrack you to CEng, however, it seems they want me to have an accredited degree, so I'm thinking get IEng or at least as far as I can with it before I leave the forces before I apply?

Worth a look, and it's always good to have options, although watch out in case they get you to support Notts Forest as a pre-requisite.

I don't think the technical report will be a problem for me IMHO, I'm quite academic when I want to be.

Have a go at some of those university short courses then - believe me, you just don't know how valuable they can be when it comes to interview time.

M

monobrow

Off Topic
Monty, do you REALLY have to quote the post that was one before yours... Especially as it's an essay length post at times.
Off Topic

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Mono

Mono

Apologies, I'm just being lazy.

Edited for your viewing pleasure....:pDT_Xtremez_28:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Do they still do those Familiarisation Attachments, Work Experience weeks and so on? ........

I'm doing a weeks attachment to Network rail at Derby as part of my BSc, might be able to get my foot in the door.

Worth a look, and it's always good to have options, although watch out in case they get you to support Notts Forest as a pre-requisite.

I wouldn't worry, I'm from that area anyway, not a filthy Forest Fan though

Have a go at some of those university short courses then - believe me, you just don't know how valuable they can be when it comes to interview time.

Nice one, I'm certainly going to have a shufti at the next lot that come around

I'm sticking with the BSc (almost 1/2 way through now). I'll just take the time to do some leadership courses and short courses as you suggest.