• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BSc(Hons) Intelligence & Security Systems

Awesome feedback thus far Witty. Your advice is appreciated. From what you've described it sounds like I have an appropriate template to work with based on the research paper - a similar format to what I had to use to write a Work Based Assignment paper for IMLC a few years ago.

Keep on going and good luck (although from the sounds of it, I don't think you need it).

Last edited:

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Cheers witty

There's a few of us due to start in September who are keeping an eye on this thread now.

Looks like I need to get some research done........

Polkiol

LAC
i have heard from a dude on this course, he said it is a bitch and is behind on deadlines due to the boring bitchyness of it.

they are selling this course to us as intelligence personnel but i really do not think it is suitable to those of us that have just done imint.

i have looked into it and will give it a miss, don't want all the stress!

see ya at the j soon ac love gs

i have heard from a dude on this course, he said it is a bitch and is behind on deadlines due to the boring bitchyness of it.

they are selling this course to us as intelligence personnel but i really do not think it is suitable to those of us that have just done imint.

i have looked into it and will give it a miss, don't want all the stress!

see ya at the j soon ac love gs

This is the dilemma for me - is it all worth it considering not much relevance to IMINT but there is a future in it outside life in the blue suit though.

Looking forward to returning 'home'.

Tocsin

LAC
Its a difficult choice... however, speaking with a civvie hat on, a degree is often the "price of entry" to many jobs nowadays. Could be any degree, but it makes sense to do one that (a) is a subject you enjoy, and (b) has some relevance to the job you are (or intend) doing.

A bit like the PAYD thread - if the material is not relevant/ carp, then take it up through both the RAF and Uni CoC - time and money is being spent. Don't think that "tight deadlines" is a runner, though ;)

Watching this thread with interest, as I was thinking about the course for "fun" (already have a BSc)...

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
More coursework incoming

More coursework incoming

Hi all,Looks like the first batch of reading material for the next module is incoming, and it's predominantly cyber-warfare based. I can't think of another topic that is more relevant to the current train of thought within the Int world, so should be very interesting and above all, useful. I'll let you know when the assignment comes in.As for the other comments about the qual and the course - everyone will have their own perspective on things, and you will only get out of it what you put in.The first 2 modules ran side-by-side, which left us with a lot of typing at the end. If you manage to keep on top of the reading material as it comes in, I suppose it will be simpler when it comes to assignment deadlines, but let's not forget that there are numerous qualifications within the qualification if you want to put the work in to get them. Eg - Ethical hacking modules - with some extra work you can get a civvy qual as a Certified Ethical Hacker, which on it's own can lead to a well paid job in civvy street. And yes, you have to remember that your ELCs will stump up for the majority of the cash needed for this degree, and at the end of it you will have a BSc(Hons) - probably one of the cheapest quals you are able to get (usefulness is debatable in line with career aspirations...).I've also heard of people doing the qual and really struggling due to the complexity of the topics. As I think I said before, the Uni has made certain assumptions about the academic level of those applying for it, and fastidiousness with a computer and, dare I say it, computer programming or language / behaviour was one of those assumptions. I'm also aware that the course I'm doing is a pilot course, so I have no doubt that it will be tweaked before the next batch start in September - there have already been changes made to the way in which they handle the course content, so the second bunch of stucents should benefit from our 'pain'.As a SIGINTer by trade, I don't really think that I have any particular advantage over an IMINTer on this course, it's all really down to intellectual efficiency and being able to suck up vast amounts of information and sort the useful stuff from the superfluous. There is nothing on this course that I have ever covered in my 11 years service, so I am not at any trade-related advantage. If you think you can handle the study requirements (lots of reading / looking things up / working out what the hell they are talking about so you can do more research just to keep up) then I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of trade background.Sorry all, waffle-section complete, more useful information to follow at a later date.

Witty. Thanks for your continuing updates.

Clearly, from my last post on this subject, I was somewhat aprehensive about starting it but now (and following your continued sound advice) I'm more determined now than ever to crack-on with it.

It's gonna fit in well with my circumstances too as I'm posted come August. Roll on September!

Keep going and, of course, best of British.

Last edited:
I've just signed up for the course starting this September, and I've just genned up on everything you've all had to say. Very helpful so far, defo keeping my eye on this thread from now on.

There's a lot of guys from our place (Marham) who are thinking about doing it - normally boasting to the gaffers so they can put it on their SJAR without planning on doing anything at all.

Thanks for all the info so far.

smik

LAC
Hi. I've also signed up for this course starting in September, the stuff already covered in this thread is useful. Other than the basics, however, I haven't had much info about it so I'll probably be posting loads of questions as I think of them.

My main concern at the moment is about cost - when is payment expected? Also, how would I go about using ELC to cut the cost down?

Has anybody who has signed up for the September course received anything other than the reading list yet? Thought I would have had some more info by now!

Negative Wes, not even received a reading list yet. Would appreciate if you have it could you PM it to me.

I did email the clerk of the course in April and she stated that an email with e-enrollment details will be sent 'some time in August' with the relevant course codes so one can get the ELC finance ball rolling!

The dates I have is that it starts on 24 Sep with induction on the 17th.

Last edited:

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Same here, I didnt realise there was a reading list till a mate mentioned it. Not had anything else regarding the course, i was beginning to wonder if i was the only one.

Negative Wes, not even received a reading list yet. Would appreciate if you have it could you PM it to me.

I did email the clerk of the course in April and she stated that an email with e-enrollment details will be sent 'some time in August' with the relevant course codes so one can get the ELC finance ball rolling!

The dates I have is that it starts on 24 Sep with induction on the 17th.

For the Academic Research/career Planning module:
How to Research - 3rd Edition, Loraine Blaxter, Christina Hughes, Malcolm Tight. Open University Press, 2006. ISBN 9780335229536.
For the Cyber Warfare module:
Cyber Warfare: Techniques, Tactics and Tools for Security Practitioners, Jason Andress, Syngress Press, 2011. ISBN 978-1597496377
Also related:
Cybercrime and Espionage: An Analysis of Subversive Multi-Vector Threats, Will Gragido & John Pirc, Syngress Press, 2011. ISBN 978-1597496131
For Ethical Hacking:
This is for background reading but also covers some of the same areas as Ethical Hacking.
Exam Cram CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 – Third Edition, Kirk Hausman, Martin Weiss, Diane Barrett, Pearson IT Certification, 2011. ISBN 978-0789748294
OR
CompTIA Security+ Study Guide – Fifth Edition, Emmett Dulaney, Sybex, 2011. ISBN 978-1118014738

have you seen how much they all blo0dy cost though? I've looked in our local library and they can't get any sent in on loan at all (however- they only stopped burning books in Norfolk in '98).

Does anyone have any ideas where the cheapest ones can be found? Amazon isn't too bad if you've got a kindle

That's my thinking right now although I was given the advice that once enrolled you can order these publications from the Uni's library and will be sent via post.

I would, however, like to have my own copies to highlight, add notes etc. E-books are cheaper but are they practical for studying?

As far as that reading list goes, the "How to Research" book was a waste of money for anybody who's ever done any report writing! I found it a bit noddy.

The Cyber Security book was very interesting though and worth the money.

In addition to the reading list they recommend, depending on your level of computer knowledge, you might want to check out the following:

The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and PenetrationTesting Made Easy (Syngress Basics Series) by Patrick Engebretson

Networking All-in-One For Dummies by Doug Lowe

Linux All-in-One For Dummies by Emmett Dulaney

Cyber War:The Next Threat to National Security and What to Do About It[Hardcover] by Richard A Clarke

Google Hacking for Penetration Testers by Johnny Long

Nmap in the Enterprise:Your Guide to Network Scanning

The books can be pricey but the best bet is to look at the Amazon Sellers for used versions. That can shave off a few quid.

With regards to the induction mentioned a few posts ago, does that require a trip to the Uni or is it all done on line? Plus has anybody been given a finalised price yet?

With regards to the induction mentioned a few posts ago, does that require a trip to the Uni or is it all done on line? Plus has anybody been given a finalised price yet?

Many thanks again for the further reading recommendations Wes.

I've no idea if induction is at the Uni or if it's done online. I guess I/we wait for this enrollment email from the Uni later this month with further instructions although I do feel it's getting a bit tight for time.

As for the finalised costing for the course, this was to be amended for this September's start (again, not sure if this a slight decrease but one assumes it'll probably be an increase), however, £2200 was the cost for enrollment last year.

If I haven't received anything within the next couple of weeks, I'll be giving the clerk a poke.

Last edited:

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Guys

Ive got all the pre-course reading on a USB stick. Im in the US at the min for a few weeks but will be happy to share when I get back.

Sixty - if your still at Waddo for a few more days, our mate DT can give you my USB stick with all the stuff on it. Just let me know and i'll give him a shout.

Im also tempted to give the clerk a shout about whats going on. Have any of you done any paperwork for the ELC's yet, or is it a matter of waiting until the price is finalised?