• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British Soldier Goes AWOL to Fight IS

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hot off the press on Sky news

A 19-year-old serving soldier in the British Army has left his base and travelled to the Middle East to fight Islamic State.
He said he was joining the Kurdish Peshmerga in their battle against the extremists in Iraq and Syria because "these guys need our help".

What's the button for this on JPA? Volunteer from the Snowdrops to go fetch him?

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Reading the report on Sky News:

And a third said: "I'm so sorry to put you through this but I do good, I will get in trouble for being AWOL but it's minor and no prison sentence."

Now I may be wrong but doesn't AWOL carry a Colchester jail term and a custodial sentence?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Crazy thing to do and what a massive PR coup for the nut jobs if they get their evil mitts on the poor sod.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
He's not awol as e is currently on leave. Will all change if he doesn't return from leave.

Speaking from rom experiance of having an SAC of mine go AWOL the police have no real jurisdiction (IIRC) to bring him back. My lad was left to come back to camp on his own effort, P1 just kept in touch with him and reminded him that the earlier he came back the less harmful it would be for him.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
There is a power of arrest for AWOL and civ pol will also arrest if you are stopped for anything as PNC will flag it.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Crazy thing to do and what a massive PR coup for the nut jobs if they get their evil mitts on the poor sod.
Well if he ends up in an orange onesie, he has only himself to blame....What a plonka, its not our fight ......YET.
Mr SCJ

FOMz

Warrant Officer
AWOL or not, you only have to read press reports about foreign fighters joining the Kurdish Militia with the aim being to form a foreign fighter battalion.There is obviously an established pipeline to get these guys in.If you think he will be back in barracks by next week.. You are dreaming.

ISIL now only have one foreign hostage, who is a PR dream for them... And now with the press coverage of this prat, how long do you think it will be until ISIL capture him and we see him in an orange jump suit? After all, the amount of 'white faces' in the forces are minimal at best and it wont take long to single him out and make a concerted effort to capture him. ISIL need more hostages as either a cash cow (France, Italy 'allegedly' paid ransoms) or as a terror weapon by killing them on TV.

Personally, I think the family should have kept quiet about this and let UK PLC sort it out quietly. He has played staright into ISIL's hands.

morse1001

Sergeant
in Palestine in 47/48 British troops deserted to fight with the isrealis, the also handed over weapons and vehicles. ex RAF pilots flew Czech built ME109s. In one action, 5 RAF furies were shot down by former RAF pilots including Screwball Scering.