• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bring On Cold War (II)

sumps

Sergeant
After all that glasnost and perestrokia suff it turns out that Red or dead Borris was telling a huge porker just to get us reduced in numbers and/or dispersed around the world.

From the Daily Telegraph - Now where did I put all that Kit :pDT_Xtremez_17: - Bring back British Forces Germany!!!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Or read here

Russians are coming again, Tories warn

By Christopher Hope, Whitehall Editor
Last Updated: 1:16am GMT 19/02/2007

"The Russians are using billions of dollars of oil profits to rearm, just as British defence chiefs prepare for cuts in the summer's Government spending review, the Conservatives have warned.

Liam Fox, the party's defence spokesman, sounded the alarm about "the growing and accelerating rearmament in Russia" in a House of Commons debate.

He claimed that President Vladimir Putin's government is planning to spend $183 billion (£94 billion) over the next nine years — or $1.7 billion (£900 million) a month — on its armament programme.

His warning of a Russian resurgence comes amid increasing concerns about the 'overstretch' of Britain's Armed Forces and cutbacks in the defence budget in this summer's Comprehensive Spending Review. The weapons shopping spree between 2007 and 2015 could push Russia's spending towards Cold War levels.

Dr Fox, who visited Eastern Europe earlier this year, said that weapons on order include:

• 69 Topol-M missiles with between 70 and 200 nuclear warheads;
• five nuclear ballistic missile submarines;
• 60 Bulava intercontinental ballistic missiles, with 400 to 600 warheads;
• 1,400 tanks;
• 4,100 infantry fighting vehicles;
• 3,000 armoured personnel carriers;
• 1,000 combat aircraft and helicopters;
• 60 theatre quasi-ballistic missile systems.

He warned that Russia had been covertly rearming while "the eyes of the West have been elsewhere".

Dr Fox added that while the UK is planning to invest in the next generation of the Trident nuclear deterrent "the Russians are already investing heavily in more warheads".

Russia has been careful to manage its expenditure using its oil and gas reserves. The country's central bank now has gold reserves of almost $65 billion, and currency reserves of $259 billion.

Dr Fox said: "Every $1 rise in the price of a barrel of oil provides another $1 billion for the Russian exchequer."

He continued: "It goes hand in hand with its increasing willingness to use natural resources, and fossil fuels in particular, to achieve political ends."

Signs of this growing aggression have been seen in Russia's energy rows with the Baltic states and with Ukraine, Georgia, and Belarus.

Despite Dr Fox's warning, a Government spokesman said: "Russia is a key partner across issues including Iran, the Middle East peace process and the fight against terrorism. We are in close touch with Russia bilaterally and through international organisations including the G8."

Earlier this week relations between Russia and the West took a downturn after Moscow expressed outrage at US plans to station interceptor missiles in eastern Europe.

Gen Yuri Baluyevsky, the chief of staff, said that Russia was now considering withdrawing from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty.

The treaty was viewed as a landmark in ending the Cold War, when it was signed in 1988 by Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev.

"We shall see how our American partners act," said Gen Baluyevsky. "What they are doing at the moment is totally inexplicable."

Mr Putin has rejected explanations that the missile defence shield, which will be located in the Czech Republic and Poland, is a deterrent against Iran and North Korea."

Last edited:
D

dodgysootie

Scary stuff! The nuclear sub issue should get alarm bells ringing at Whitehall because I've a feeling that NATO isnt quite as good as it used to be at ASW. Still I'd be one of the first to volunteer for a posting back to BFG... Bring it on!!

C

Chuffybum

Bring On Cold War (II)

Scary!!!! Visions of pre-1939 & pre-1914 comes to mind. We will be screwed big time if this is genuine. I suspect we can't even go back to using the hardened shelters as I suspect none of these buildings have been maintained properly since the end of the Cold War due to lack of finacial resources. Best Blair & Co (or Brown & Co) get a grip on this.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Ruskies are more likely to re-align themselves with an up and coming super-power like China...Communist ideals with an inherrant hate of the auld enemy i.e. Uncle Sam...

Now those two colluding together is a scary thought....

P

pie sandwich

hura for the commies,

Got to be a good thing for us if they take them seriously.

L

loopallu

hura for the commies,

Got to be a good thing for us if they take them seriously.

there is only 2 chances of this being taken seriously the 1st on none and it does not take mastermind to come up with the other !!!!

G

grumpyoldb

It's sabre rattling......................
We haven't got the numbers for it, and neither have the US.
Mind you, Bush is stoopid enough to try, even without the numbers.

M

mad_mo

He warned that Russia had been covertly rearming while "the eyes of the West have been elsewhere".

Back in the late 90's, I often had a few pints with the Russian assistant Army Attache in London, he kept all this quite!. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
The Ruskies are more likely to re-align themselves with an up and coming super-power like China...Communist ideals with an inherrant hate of the auld enemy i.e. Uncle Sam...

Wasn't this a Nostradamus prediction ? :pDT_Xtremez_35:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer

This has been predicted in a book I read recently called "Another Bloody Century" which looks at the wars of the 20th century and tries to guess what may happen during this one.

I used to say a Russo-Chinese alliance could never happen - Stalinist Communism and Maoist Communism were just too different. Now, with both countries adopting a free-market approach which is generating enormous wealth, I'm going home to dig myself a nuclear shelter.

C

Chuffybum

Bring On Cold War (II)

Definitely some scarey thoughts going on here. However, I really can’t ever see the Russians and the Chinese joining forces as such. These 2 countries are more likely to kick s**t out of each other with the winner (probably China) then facing up to the US. They are much too frightened about each other and certainly don’t trust one another. China has the fastest growing economy in the World and will soon outstrip all other countries including Japan & the US. I believe we should be more concerned about China than Russia. Another point to note is that as China’s economy grows it does so on the back of fossil fuels and will also soon be the World’s main polluter…. if it isn’t already – that alone could have far more dire consequences than anything else.
The idea of the Russians re-arming is still scary enough though, but they have always had an inherent distrust of us in the West (mostly Uncle Sam methinks) so it’s no surprise really although I can’t see where all the extra finances have come from to support this re-armament. If you think about it, it was partially the fault of the size of their defence budget that broke them in the first place and help cause the Cold War to finish.
Just my thoughts for pondering, after all I’m only a dumb Techie so what do I know!

TACAN

Corporal
From today's FT - Ahhh just like the good old days ...........

Russian missile threat to Poles and Czechs over US shield plan
Financial Times, Tuesday February 20th, 2007

Poland and the Czech Republic could be targeted by Russian missiles if they host elements of the planned US missile defence system, the commander of Russia's strategic missile forces warned yesterday. The warning came as both Warsaw and Prague signalled they were likely to respond positively to US requests for them to site anti-missile defence bases on their territory.

O

Oh sir

Even better......

A posting to Prague! :pDT_Xtremez_17:

Large pilsner Urquell please barman, make it snappy I've got some russians to keep an eye on.

Besides, I doubt the Russian Army will have anyone left to man the new weaponry they're buying. All the men are either on Holiday in Dubai, running football clubs, or serving or drinking expensive cocktails in London bars.
All they have left are big gruff looking old women in headscarves.

C

Chuffybum

Bring On Cold War (II)

From today's FT - Ahhh just like the good old days ...........

Russian missile threat to Poles and Czechs over US shield plan
Financial Times, Tuesday February 20th, 2007

Poland and the Czech Republic could be targeted by Russian missiles if they host elements of the planned US missile defence system, the commander of Russia's strategic missile forces warned yesterday. The warning came as both Warsaw and Prague signalled they were likely to respond positively to US requests for them to site anti-missile defence bases on their territory.

Both Poland and The Czech Republic are now members of NATO. If the Russians fired missiles at these 2 countries then it would be seen as an attack on the whole of NATO (yes, back to the Cold War). Unfortunately for the World both the US & Russia (as well as ourselves and France) still have sufficient nuclear warheads to wipe out the whole of mankind. Unlikely to happen I would like to think.

TACAN

Corporal
Both Poland and The Czech Republic are now members of NATO. If the Russians fired missiles at these 2 countries then it would be seen as an attack on the whole of NATO (yes, back to the Cold War). Unfortunately for the World both the US & Russia (as well as ourselves and France) still have sufficient nuclear warheads to wipe out the whole of mankind. Unlikely to happen I would like to think.

Agreed Chuffers, but we have seen very little 'sabre rattling' from our Eastern cousins for some time now. I suspect that with their new found confidence/bravado ( and maybe oil revenue...) we will see much more in the near future. Plus they have certainly not been sitting on their ar$es in the airframe/weapons development arena since the end of the Cold War and the indoctrination that is Glasnost !

I doubt very much that a Sino-Soviet scrap is in the offing either. Rather more likely a pact of sorts to attempt to keep the US in check - if that's ever possible !

Whatever, we are in for some very interesting times ahead and I don't think we will have long to wait before nastiness of some sorts erupts....

Any bets... N.Korea, Taiwan, Iran, Basingstoke ?

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Dr Fox added that while the UK is planning to invest in the next generation of the Trident nuclear deterrent "the Russians are already investing heavily in more warheads".

Eh? What does an orange talentless middle of the road pr1ck of a DJ know about Russian plans? :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
We should have bought some of their hardware while it was up for grabs, now we'll be stuck with that puny American GR9 wanna be ::/: