• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boots

MattBombHead

Sergeant
The best way would be to leave them overnight in a bucket of pi$$:pDT_Xtremez_14:.

However, not many people are keen on that method so try sticking them in a bath/bucket full of water overnight and allow to dry naturally (stuff them full of newspapers whilst drying).

As for getting them shiney, spit and polish is the best method.

DO NOT PI$$ IN YOUR BOOTS OR PUT THEM TO SOAK IN WATER

Doing so will wet the cardboard insoles, and wreck them before you've even started.

Just get them on your feet as much as possible, get plenty of polish on them (left on overnight if you can) and only use the socks you've been issued and they WILL get more comfortable.

OldMedic

Corporal
Don't forget your feet, often the most neglected part of the body. If you have any problems such as hard skin, corns, nail infections etc get them sorted before you start, including cutting nails correctly.

Going to a podiatrist / chiropodist isn't just for us golden oldies, younger people often need help and advice!

God these youngsters have it easy, do they really need told how to put on and wear a pair of frinkin boots.

1. Put them on your feel (left on left) (right on right) dont get this wrong or it takes ages to break them in.

2. Then lace them up (you can get your mum to help with this)

3. Walk about in them (you can run if you like but i'm sure there's some pussy H+S rule about not doing this.)

4. Take them off.

5. Apply polish (not furniture) with a brush or cloth.

6. Remove polish with a brush.

7. Repeat as neccessary.

Hope this helps!!! :raf:

Gsmudge

LAC
The staff at Halton dont like you using the water method. Unfortunatley, just wearing them and dealing with the blisters is the prefferd way. Get the blisters now and hopefully you wont have as many when you get to rts. As for the shine, spit and polish and try buffing them with an old pair of tights afterwards. Dont bull them tho.

Northern Monkey

Corporal
The staff at Halton dont like you using the water method. Unfortunatley, just wearing them and dealing with the blisters is the prefferd way. Get the blisters now and hopefully you wont have as many when you get to rts. As for the shine, spit and polish and try buffing them with an old pair of tights afterwards. Dont bull them tho.

Wrong on a few counts here. The preferred method aint spit for a start! Would you want last nights food amongst your polish? err no. A tin of kiwi and two brushes are the preferred tools of choice! As for any cloth you use, I would suggest its a jewellers cloth or similar, such as a selvyt. And, judging by the number of blisters that do occur and people going sick, its time to put down the playstation control and get out and wear them in prior to RTS. Its pretty obvious this aint happening.

A

Aaoi

I have around 3 weeks left until I go to RTS Halton, very excited!

However, I have aquestion regarding my combat boots. I have been polishing them regularly, but they still don't have a proper shine. I'm using an 'on' brush and an 'off' one. I know it isn't rocket science, but can anyone suggest anything else to get them looking a bit smarter?

Also, the heel section of the boot still doesn't feel like it has worn in. They fit fine, they're very comfortable on short walks/sitting down. But over long walks (which I imagine RTS Halton will consits of) I can feel the rubbing get a bit sore on my heel. Can anyone suggest a way of breaking this down more? I've been wearing them for 3 weeks so far!

Just walk in them, all the time, everywhere. I've just finished at Halton so if you need any advice or anything (finished tuesday) feel free to pm me.

You really need to break the boots in and there really is no other way but to wear them. Dont fanny about with stupid methods like soaking them, just wear them. I know it sounds silly but so many people just dont bother breaking them in properly and it will be horribly evedent after the first boot walk when 50% of the flight end up on sick parade with blisters!

To be honest you wont do too many long walks or stuff for the first few weeks, it will just be around base and you'll only do one boot walk before IFPT. However, when you get to IFPT you will be expected to run in them and during CPT you'll be running across uneven terrain and in all weather conditions, so make life easier for yourself by getting them comfy now.

And dont bother trying to get them to shine, just brush polish them, honestly thats all you need to do.

Best of luck with rts :)

Now that you know where your hotspots are I would suggest getting some Zinc Oxide tape too..

298360_10150771258655065_650215064_20368585_4044786_n.jpg

I have been looking for some of that tape, would micropore be OK?
The reason I ask is because I'm walking my dogs in the boots, and whilst they don't give me blisters, on one of my feet (where the heel slips against the back of the boot just slightly) I'm still getting sore hot spots, they don't look red or swollen and don't turn to blisters... With just a couple of weeks to go I'd rather tape up than be on sick parade on the first day!

Thanks!

J

JagCabMan

My Dogs in the Boots !!!!

My Dogs in the Boots !!!!

I have been looking for some of that tape, would micropore be OK?
The reason I ask is because I'm walking my dogs in the boots,

I can just picture you getting your dogs to break your boots in for you.

I doubt it happens now but on the subject of polishing Boots and shoes for parades, you would NEVER EVER beat GEF. Our Painters & Finishers did the best toe cap job in the world, SWO would often say "How the hell do you guys get such a shine"? Cellulose Lacquer, Hard As . . . . . . .

Regards, Nick

MattBombHead

Sergeant
I can just picture you getting your dogs to break your boots in for you.

I doubt it happens now but on the subject of polishing Boots and shoes for parades, you would NEVER EVER beat GEF. Our Painters & Finishers did the best toe cap job in the world, SWO would often say "How the hell do you guys get such a shine"? Cellulose Lacquer, Hard As . . . . . . .

Regards, Nick

Thankfully, the ItsABigWorld will have no idea what you're on about... and if hes does know, he'll stick to the advice that was given to him (or her) on PRTC.

If you're getting blisters/ hot spots, get down the chemist and ask.

"I have been looking for some of that tape, would micropore be OK?"

You can buy Zinc Oxide tape from most Chemist Shops. Micropore would be next to useless.

J

JagCabMan

Good Luck

Good Luck

Bombhead, I did not offer itsabigworld advice, I am sure he has all the correct advice being fired at him, I am sure he will inwardly digest and apply it, as we all did during our basic training. The best training in the world always was and always will be.

Itsabigworld, no matter what, always keep your sense of humour.

Nick