• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boots

D

Dribble

Hi. Got my boots after my PRTC and am currently breaking them in and polishing every day. What ive been doing is using a brush to put the polish onto the boots, just a nice layer so the shine from the boots goes and dull the black colour then leaving them in my room for a period of time (this is varying between a few hours to over night) then with another brush taking the polish off and then using a pair of old tights just to spruce up a bit of shine at the end (A tip from my dad ex - civvy bobbie). Is this sufficient for the polishing they expect at RTS? The SGT told us he didnt expect them to be shiny like his shoes, just well polished and broken in.
Cheers

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The important thing is to feed the leather and get them fitting your feet so you don't have any, or have fewer, problems with your feet once you start your RTC.

The highly polished toe caps will come once you get to Halton.

Brackens

SAC
What you're doing is fine, no need for any more than just polish on then polish off/ you don't bull boots (the shiny toe cap thing mentioned above so just carry on doing what you are

Mag2grid

Corporal
If the DI's are anything like IOT then if you 1 persons boots are bulled to DMS inspection standard....you'll have to do it, not a good way to make friends on your first day!

Just keep up what has already been posted up.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
You were fully briefed on what to do with your boots. You would also have been briefed on the standards expected (of boots and yourself) for when you will be arriving at RTS.

RTS Lesson 1- listen to what you're told, remember it, and do EXACTLY as you were told.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
You were fully briefed on what to do with your boots. You would also have been briefed on the standards expected (of boots and yourself) for when you will be arriving at RTS.

RTS Lesson 1- listen to what you're told, remember it, and do EXACTLY as you were told.

Quickly followed by RTS Lesson 2 - Refer to Lesson 1.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Dribble, (and anyone else that is using this thread as reference...)

Do not burn the polish onto your boots. Just brush polish them, as briefed on PRTC.

If you do try to burn the polish onto your boots, and end up screwing them, you'll straight away go straight to the top of your Flt Staffs sh!t list. Trust me.

D

Dribble

Thanks everyone. I haven't tried bulling or burning the polish on as to be quite honest I wouldnt have a clue how, just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something!

Cheers again

Boots! Polishing and Breaking In

Boots! Polishing and Breaking In

Hi All,

I was going to put this in a the Recruit Forums, but it was specifically related to RTS Halton.

I have around 3 weeks left until I go to RTS Halton, very excited!

However, I have aquestion regarding my combat boots. I have been polishing them regularly, but they still don't have a proper shine. I'm using an 'on' brush and an 'off' one. I know it isn't rocket science, but can anyone suggest anything else to get them looking a bit smarter?

Also, the heel section of the boot still doesn't feel like it has worn in. They fit fine, they're very comfortable on short walks/sitting down. But over long walks (which I imagine RTS Halton will consits of) I can feel the rubbing get a bit sore on my heel. Can anyone suggest a way of breaking this down more? I've been wearing them for 3 weeks so far!

Thanks in advance!
:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Jaymac

Sergeant
The best way would be to leave them overnight in a bucket of pi$$:pDT_Xtremez_14:.

However, not many people are keen on that method so try sticking them in a bath/bucket full of water overnight and allow to dry naturally (stuff them full of newspapers whilst drying).

As for getting them shiney, spit and polish is the best method.

Now that you know where your hotspots are I would suggest getting some Zinc Oxide tape too..

298360_10150771258655065_650215064_20368585_4044786_n.jpg

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There is a prize of absolutely no cash or anything aside from my admiration to the first person who can provide a link to a thread on this very same subject that ran a while back and went on and on....

GO!

Elwood

SAC
There is a prize of absolutely no cash or anything aside from my admiration to the first person who can provide a link to a thread on this very same subject that ran a while back and went on and on....

GO!

It's a link at the bottom of this page!

Do I win?

Jaymac

Sergeant

GO!

Here it is. Do I win your admiration????

It's a link at the bottom of this page!

Do I win?

No. You never put the link in. I did. So there!!!! But thanks for pinting it out.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well done Jaymac...You are elevated to both 'bearable' and 'quite useful'.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Hi All,
Also, the heel section of the boot still doesn't feel like it has worn in. They fit fine, they're very comfortable on short walks/sitting down. But over long walks (which I imagine RTS Halton will consits of) I can feel the rubbing get a bit sore on my heel. Can anyone suggest a way of breaking this down more? I've been wearing them for 3 weeks so far!

Thanks in advance!

Are you wearing 2 pairs of socks? I usually try two thins pairs, but you might have room for one thin and one thick pair. Plus all the usual stuff about walking around and getting them thoroughly wet, i.e. soaked through. Then taking them off and stuffing them loosely with crumpled up newspaper (change it after 2-3 hours) and leaving your boots to dry naturally, i.e. not in front of a fire. You're trying to get the boots to mould to your feet, not your feet to mould to the boots! I hope you enjoy your RTS Halton walks. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Jaymac

Sergeant
Well done Jaymac...You are elevated to both 'bearable' and 'quite useful'.

Woo hoo. I'm going to print this out and show it to my boss who thinks I am an insufferable, useless cnut. This'll show him differently.

Cheers Vim:pDT_Xtremez_30:.

Mods - Thank you for merging this post with a previous thread (should have used the search button).

You now get your combat boots when attending PRTC which is a 2 day course roughly 6 weeks before you begin RTC.

Northern Monkey

Corporal
Top tips for boots:

* Do not bull the toe cap. They are to be brush polished only. You will quickly run out of time if you go down that route.

* One pair of socks only is advised. It's only on medical advice that people have been told to wear any more.

* Ensure you can walk several miles in these boots at a quick rate. A lot of people will suffer wearing boots anyway, whether they like it or not. Try to limit the damage by getting used to wearing them doing strenuous activities.

Hope this helps.