• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BOOTS! How the hell to polish them properly

A

AshBen89

Hello All,

I have just been issued my combat boots after a successful PRTC. They are comfy as hell and are slowly breaking in...but how the hell do you polish them properly? and also will i get in the **** if i get them bulled before phase 1 training?

Im not "failing to prepare, prepare to fail" so want to give it my best 24/7/365/infinity

:):pDT_Xtremez_30:

I don't think it would be a good idea to bull your boots, I guessing in all liklihood they are for use on exercise/ranges/TABs etc before any parade ground stuff - I stand by to be corrected.

As for polishing them (not bulling which is very different), the following method always worked for me.

1) Always use standard kiwi black shoe polish (not parade gloss)

2) You need three brushes, an 'on' brush, an 'off brush' and a 'shine' brush (the latter having very soft bristles)

3) Using the 'on' brush apply a small amount of polish to the brush and then rub onto the boot in a circular motion. Apply an even layer of polish to the boot and allow to dry.

4) Using the 'off' brush, brush over the polish in a similar manner to how it was applied until the boot is clean.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 untill satisfied, normally twice is enough.

6) Using the 'shine' bring the polish up to a fine shine usually by brushing in just one direction, especially over the toe of the boot.

Everyone will have their own methods i'm sure, but i expect the most important thing is that your boots are broken in rather than how shiny or bulled they are.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Don't leave the polish on to completely dry, take it off while it is still a bit damp.

A little bit of water on your 'shine' brush (although I have only ever used 2, on and off) will bring it up a touch better.

A good few layers of brush polish on before you start bulling (if you have to now at Halton with boots?) will make it easier as well.

JPJ83

SAC
Not sure if you need to bull your boots. Doesn't seem an awful lot of point as they will be scratched to f==k the first time you wear them anywhere muddy or dirty.

Just build up layers and layers of kiwi black. Take laces out, layer it on, plenty, work it into all the seams and leave one boot whilst you stick polish on the other. Polish off with different, softer, brush until shiny all over. Repeat times lots.

Aim to get through a tin or two before you start there.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I don't think it would be a good idea to bull your boots, I guessing in all liklihood they are for use on exercise/ranges/TABs etc before any parade ground stuff - I stand by to be corrected.

As for polishing them (not bulling which is very different), the following method always worked for me.

1) Always use standard kiwi black shoe polish (not parade gloss)

2) You need three brushes, an 'on' brush, an 'off brush' and a 'shine' brush (the latter having very soft bristles)

3) Using the 'on' brush apply a small amount of polish to the brush and then rub onto the boot in a circular motion. Apply an even layer of polish to the boot and allow to dry.

4) Using the 'off' brush, brush over the polish in a similar manner to how it was applied until the boot is clean.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 untill satisfied, normally twice is enough.

6) Using the 'shine' bring the polish up to a fine shine usually by brushing in just one direction, especially over the toe of the boot.

Everyone will have their own methods i'm sure, but i expect the most important thing is that your boots are broken in rather than how shiny or bulled they are.

And do it when the boots are warm, for preference

A

AshBen89

Brilliant...thanks for the advice.

Mother dearest wants to get at them before me but i quite enjoy the prospect of ipod in...boot in hands...1 hour away from the missus... but thats me

:pDT_Xtremez_34:

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
DO NOT "BULL" YOUR BOOTS!!

Just keep them brush polished all over. Also don't bother with the magic sponge either as it just degrades the leather.

Only other consideration if you have the time is to get some waterproof dubbing on initially. Comes in handy when sloshing through the undergrowth.

A

AshBen89

I have just polished my boots... one brush to apply a s~~te loads of polish and left to seep into lether as other boot is drowned... then removed with an off brush.

They dont squeek any more and already feel soft as hell!!!!!!

GF wont let me wear them out tho...something about boots not going with shorts :pDT_Xtremez_14:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Sod the ball and chain... if I were you - I'd have them on your feet all the time. You want them fitting like a glave and moulded to your feet and ankles before you start.

A

AshBen89

Indeed, i wore them last night out...she got to live with it.

They are very comfy...rub against the top of my foot and shin abit but i assume thats just going to be like that untill the leather softens?