• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BMI for medical

Shuck

LAC
The BMI. I've never trusted it and think its a load of old tosh.
I'm due the medical for Auggie Regiment in November, and am now way above the requirements for the MSFT for my age (mid 40's), but the BMI max of 28 is eluding me.
I'm currently static at 28.8 (dependant on which calculator I use), I'm eating more dust and green stuff than I have ever done before, swapped ale for water, running 4 miles each day etc , but the weight just isn't dropping.
The question is how rigid are the medics on the max BMI figure?
Your thoughts are welcome, as are any weight loss tips, as long as it doesn't involve exlax, surgery or colonic irrigation!

Cheers

Wuuf

LAC
The first thing I would do is go and get a proper measure of your body fat - many gyms can do this either using calipers or electrodes. This will at least give you an idea if you really do have a problem, or you are shifting weight from fat to muscle and BMI will not pick this up. BMI is so inaccurate that most rugby players are classed as obese if you use this measure.

Entropy

Sergeant
Yep they are quite strict I think that the upper limit is 28. When I joined you were given an upper BMI that you had be under when taking your medical. If you didn't make it you didn't get in. I think the Doc also has a degree input to see if you are a rugger bugger or a pie muncher.

Shuck

LAC
Thanks for replying, folks, its appreciated.
I'll get that sorted, but until then, the water and wafer diet will continue!

Shuck

LAC
Update re the medical/fitness test. Passed, and rather chuffed that I got way above the required levels for my age.
I'll put it down to cutting out on ale, change of diet and sheer bloody determination!
Subject to security vetting, hopefully start the training in March.

Entropy

Sergeant
You will probably find that most of the people on basic are in the 35+ age bracket. Even when you meet the people from other Sqns at Halton.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I am on day 10 of the 15 day halton course of 27 dudes. ages are 24 to 54 (me) and weighted well above 35. You'll be fine. The toughest bit is the transition from privacy to none at all at any time. Other than that age means nothing.

37isntOld

LAC
I am on day 10 of the 15 day halton course of 27 dudes. ages are 24 to 54 (me) and weighted well above 35. You'll be fine. The toughest bit is the transition from privacy to none at all at any time. Other than that age means nothing.

Good luck and hope you're enjoying it. I must admit my biggest concern is being able to get any sleep when I do the 15 day course next year. Got my ear-plugs purchased already! :)

Shuck

LAC
Thats interesting to hear about the the age groups.
I was expecting, at 45, to be in the minority.
Perhaps the RAF like the idea of life experience?

Entropy

Sergeant
newcomers club . Everything else is oob. Just like the kids.we even have a 2300 curfew.

OMG, we spent every night in the Vee club then the Rose and Crown at the weekends. I think midnight was the usual turning in time. There was one night in the R+C and there was a brilliant band with covers from The Jam, 2tone, the Clash, killers etc. We all still talk about the night 3 years on.

I went home on the mid Saturday night as I live in Tring. Did my washing and managed a cuddle before going in Sunday morning.

Next you will be telling me that you were not allowed in the instructors tea bar at the weekends.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
OMG, we spent every night in the Vee club then the Rose and Crown at the weekends. I think midnight was the usual turning in time. There was one night in the R+C and there was a brilliant band with covers from The Jam, 2tone, the Clash, killers etc. We all still talk about the night 3 years on. I went home on the mid Saturday night as I live in Tring. Did my washing and managed a cuddle before going in Sunday morning.Next you will be telling me that you were not allowed in the instructors tea bar at the weekends.
that we. Do get. However, 4th bullnight tonight, and only because we passed all the others. No complaints.you ought to see what the kids endure.

wench02

SAC
I have my interview next week... Any tips on what might come up?

is the reserves course at Halton basically IFPT? Do you have to do the square of death?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

is the reserves course at Halton basically IFPT? Do you have to do the square of death?
it is IFPT As all the rest has to be done beforehand, excepting the gsk exam on the first morning. Its all guns, guarding, searches, first and combat aid annd cbrn. They love Cs here that's for sure.

ends with a 2 day exercise for us very soon.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
:pDT_Xtremez_40:

...oh and its the same as for the regular interview, but look up FR20 as well.