• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Blue suede boots....why?

Undinist

LAC
Hi everyone, this is my first post at e-goat. It's a bit tumbleweed in the fire section....is anyone else here? I'm a civilian with happy memories of being an air cadet and I've just ordered a pair of those fabulous cold war blue suede boots from an army surplus site. I'd love to know why they were ever deemed suitable for fighting aircraft fires.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post at e-goat. It's a bit tumbleweed in the fire section....is anyone else here? I'm a civilian with happy memories of being an air cadet and I've just ordered a pair of those fabulous cold war blue suede boots from an army surplus site. I'd love to know why they were ever deemed suitable for fighting aircraft fires.

Welcome to the Goat.

Some fireman will probably come on and mention fire proofing, heat protection or similar but that's not why firemen wear blue suede boots. Nor is it a weird fire section Elvis tribute fashion item. Following decades of research between polishing engines and coiling hoses they discovered that on an outdoor grass volley ball court they are the perfect thing winter or summer.

Undinist

LAC
I'd assumed they put trainers on for the volleyball! But maybe the rules say that you're not at readiness for a fire unless you're wearing all the gear?

Undinist

LAC
Exactly!

Maybe Tin basher is right. Other fire services only put their boots on when there's a shout, so their boots can be tall, reinforced wellies. But the RAF, for some bizarre reason, have to wear their boots all the time, so they're a compromise, suitable for volleyball, cleaning, going to the mess etc.

Another thing I don't get is why the RAF fights aircraft fires in a woolly green suit whereas everyone else puts on the reflective aluminized gear.

If only I'd asked all these questions when I was a spotty cadet visiting Coltishall. I think we were all a bit taken aback by the big men in green string.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I am lead to believe that the Blue Boots were for H+S reasons. They are used to clean the Alloy wheels when washing cars on duty thus saving the individual from bending down and straining their backs.

Digzster

Sergeant
I was told that the boots also had felt on the soles. That way the corridor from the crew room to the kitchen & toilets were always at inspection standard.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Exactly!

But the RAF, for some bizarre reason, have to wear their boots all the time, so they're a compromise, suitable for volleyball, cleaning, going to the mess etc.
Aha, maybe that's why aircrew wear growbags all the time - in case they have to jump into a cockpit at a moments notice :)

Having worn said boots for a couple of years I can confirm that they were not waterproof, were knackered when fuel or foam got on them, did not keep the cold or heat out, were crap for volleyball and were more of a hindrance than a help while working on cars or motorbikes. However, when sat in the crew room, feet up and a brew in the hand, the blue boots were like slippers.