• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bit breezy tonight

M

Mrs_Monobrow

who remembers the ''Great Storm''?

I was 4 at the time and have no recollection of it at all. My mum and dad in the past have tried to fill me in on what my reaction was and what the storm was like but even that doesnt help! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

A

auchtermuchty

I remember it - was living in Scotland before joining up. Wondered what all the fuss was about, its typical west coast October weather!

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Poor Michael Fish, he completely lost his street cred over that forecast !!

And Gordon Kay (Rene from Allo allo) nearly lost his life !

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Poor Michael Fish, he completely lost his street cred over that forecast !!

And Gordon Kay (Rene from Allo allo) nearly lost his life !

"I will say this only once.... the Estate Agents sign is in the dashboard!!"

And it was the January Storm of 1990. As Gordon was headbutting the hoarding, I was driving under fallen trees on the back road between Harlow and Lower Sherring to Bishops Stortford as the M11 and A414 were closed and all the traffic in Essex and East Herts was trying to drive through Sawbridgeworth on the old A11. I got home in 20 mins, My father took 4 Hours...:raf:

The sight in my rear view mirror of the tree I had failed to spot wasn't pleasing. Drove around 3 other fallen trees on that journey as well.

The 1987 storm happened when I was in Germany. Never saw the Micheal Fish forecast.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:
M

Mrs_Monobrow

And it was the January Storm of 1990. As Gordon was headbutting the hoarding, I was driving under fallen trees on the back road between Harlow and Lower Sherring to Bishops Stortford as the M11 and A414 were closed and all the traffic in Essex and East Herts was trying to drive through Sawbridgeworth on the old A11. I got home in 20 mins, My father took 4 Hours...:raf:

The sight in my rear view mirror of the tree I had failed to spot wasn't pleasing. Drove around 3 other fallen trees on that journey as well.

The 1987 storm happened when I was in Germany. Never saw the Micheal Fish forecast.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Nasty road to be driving down at the best of times!!!!! :pDT_Xtremez_31:

D

dodgysootie

who remembers the ''Great Storm''?

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Remember it well, we couldn't get to Honington from our blocks at Barnham because the roads where blocked with fallen trees, so we had to go to Thetford on the lash in typical TWCU liney fashion.....
DS

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Remember it well, we couldn't get to Honington from our blocks at Barnham because the roads where blocked with fallen trees, so we had to go to Thetford on the lash in typical TWCU liney fashion.....
DS

Hope you were armed up mate :pDT_Xtremez_15:

skevans

Flight Sergeant
I remember the storm, but to be honest as a mere 13 year old at the time what I remember most was the following days news broadcast.

sumps

Sergeant
I was at Wattashame in the engine bay at the time a tree fell across a car the car stopped the branches of the tree going through the roof of the transit block which at the time was full :pDT_Xtremez_42:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Nasty road to be driving down at the best of times!!!!! :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Off Topic The bit from Sawbridgeworth to Little Hallingbury via Gaston Green is worse. Off Topic

Was at West Raynham in Oct 87 and during the middle of the afternoon before the storm the large air defence exercise that was being run was endex'ed early due to the bad weather that had been forecast. Somebody at the met office was on the ball. I was woken at 5am by a loud bang as the window of my room was worked open by the strong gusts, and it was very windy outside. Closed the window and went back to bed. By the time I was up and going into work on the other side of the airfield, the wind had dropped somewhat, though the building in which I worked was surrounded by a deep pool of rain water. I managed to get back to my parent's home that evening by train and noted the number of cut up tree's that had been removed from the railway lines during the day.