• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best breathing ballast trip…

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Ok, quick question for the non-aircrew (or aircrew not in their own type)..

What’s the best / most fun trip you managed to blag? (Scheduled flights not allowed)

For me several come to mind:

• My first trip in a Hawk from Valley (Weather check) – threw up everywhere, but for the 10 minutes I was allowed control of the jet – I absolutely loved it (even if I spent an hour afterwards cleaning the cockpit!).
  • The tanker doing the airbridge from Asi – the crew were a great bunch to be with – and the pictures from the back while fuelling the other Herc were great, as was the trip round Asi afterwards – and the time spent flying the thing
  • Several trips in the AAC Gazelles’ in Cyprus

But the number 1 for me, was blagging trips with 22Sqn at Valley – and playing “thing on a string” through the mountains in North wales – getting ‘accidentally’ dunked waist deep while walking on water as the crew practices height control etc

p.s - the E3, Nimrods, Shack etc that I managed to blag trips on were all great - just didn't make the shortlist for best one!

1. Nimrod to Keflaivik for a two week holiday stomping around Iceland unsupported, apologies to those on British Rail as we made our way back from Kinloss to MRM as we were honkin!

2. F3 from Conz on leaving the Sqn, tour of UK, suspersonic run, flypasts at Wainfleet range where Mrs Bellowyelly was on the balcony.

3. Lynx over Bosnia P1 for 20 mins low level through hilly country.

4. Hawk 20 mins wazzing up and down were i live in the flatlands.

5. 20 Mins poling a Chippie with a grown up in the front.

6. Gazelle across RAFG, left to wander around an Army base in blues for 40 Mins by the pilot, how popular was I !!

7. Percival Pembroke local sortie from Wildenrath, the coldest I have ever been in an aircraft.

8. Unusual attitudes phase of Microlight Training, i.e we are now 60 degree nose up, now recover from that says the instructor...eeek!

9. Thank for the reminder Kryten, VC10 approach to Bahrain over water was interesting! The LOA was outrageuos :))

Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Flying with the VC10 guys out of Manama in Bahrain in 1995 - got to watch air to air refuelling, enjoy a pretty good meal on the plane and then finish the day with a few beers in Warblers.....