• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Britain chapel faces fight for survival

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A chapel at Biggin Hill built to remember that aircrew and flew out of Biggin Hill and died in this pivotal part of WW2 is about to become the next victim of MoD cut backs...

ST GEORGE'S RAF Chapel of Remembrance in Biggin Hill will close after the Ministry of Defence decided to withdraw all funding for the building.

Since 1951 it has served as the only monument to the 453 aircrew who died flying out of the former RAF base, immortalised for its role in the Battle of Britain.

Bit if a shame isn't it? I wonder how many traditions within MoD are kept up even though they serve little purpose?

http://www.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk...ght-survival/story-25792873-detail/story.html

CISTRS

LAC
MOD Planned Closure of St. George's RAF Chapel of Remembrance Biggin Hill

MOD Planned Closure of St. George's RAF Chapel of Remembrance Biggin Hill

By March 2016,the Royal Air Force/Ministry of Defence are withdrawing all support from the Chapel. If no one or group takes on the responsibility of this magnificent Memorial Chapel, it will be closed without access to the public or church services.
This Chapel was built as a Memorial to Aircrew, who had their lives taken in World War ll, they fought and they died.

We, today, have the freedom to forget.

E-PETITION DETAILS HERE:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/73191

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
Good to see Vim picking up an article from the local paper where I used to live:pDT_Xtremez_19: I signed the petition through Facebook yesterday and there were less than 2500 signatures, a check a short while ago and this has doubled! lets keep this ball rolling and getting bigger until this is unstoppable!

Ronsuddes

SAC

6A1

SAC
Signed.
If they want to save money and pay for this why not sack a few senior civil servants who thought of the idea. A mass cull of airships wouldn't go amiss either!
The problem lies in the fact that very few people under the age of 50 know anything about the battle and have never come into contact with these marvelous old boys and they do not understand that these guys help alter the course of history.
Rsoles all of them!

PB86

LAC
The MOD has just tweeted that they are committed to preserving the chapel which is good news. I have copied the tweets below for those that are not on twitter.

Ministry of Defence@DefenceHQ 6m6 minutes ago
1/2 DefSec: I can confirm MOD is committed to preserving Battle of Britain memorial at St George's Chapel, #Biggin Hill.

Ministry of Defence@DefenceHQ 3m3 minutes ago
2/2: DefSec: Ministers are working with heritage bodies & local groups to find a solution to secure its long-term future. #BigginHill.