• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bastion advice - Gnashers on tour

Gnasher

LAC
Hi all. Just been on the receiving end of a short notice det to Bastion. Now it's a new post (so no one to ring and get info from) and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. It will be my first 'warry' tour so I don't want to be turning up with all the wrong gear etc. especially as I think I'll be working with the army (6 month tour).

Any fellow goaters got any advice or know who I should be calling to find out more info?

TIA,

Gnasher

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
The kit you get issued is pretty good.

Bastion is fairly comfortable as HERRICK goes.

Paradigm phones and Internet terminals are around.

There's a free wifi service that is designed for messaging and checking emails rather than surfing/downloading. It's slow especially in the evenings. Good enough to access goat though (as I am at the moment)

There a rather pricy alternative that's good enough for Skype etc.

Tv reception (10 channels of BFBS) across the camp. You can connect to a laptop with a dongle thingy.

Uniform at all times apart from when doing phys - so no need for civvies apart from one set in your hand baggage for the flights in and out.

There's some coffee shops and concessions (pizza hut etc). The EFI shop isn't cheap (UK convenience shop prices) and the range is limited. You can get access to the US BX in Leatherneck.

Most do guard duties (perimeter tower sangars etc) so you may need to bring warm kit if on a winter tour. It's not too cold (has been down to -4 at night recently).

Accommodation varies from tented camp to Tier 2 with decent rooms - dependent on unit.

Cookhouses have plentiful reasonable food. There's no need to go hungry.

Drop me a pm if you need anything specific.

Last edited:

Gnasher

LAC
Ta mate. At least no civvies saves on baggage lol! Come out end of feb so it'll get warmer while I'm there.

big_dawg

LAC
Gor-tex is a good idea to take too if working outside. There was some rather heavy rain to say the least when I was out there a couple of years ago (Dec to Apr).

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
You get issued PCS gortex now so that should solve that one. As your going about the same time as me dont take the summer socks, Several lads have said the winter ones are actually cooler. Send yourself a parcel with bulky items like socks, a week before you go. saves space.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Dont forget kit for a 24 hour stint which has been known to turn into a 48 or sometimes even 72 hours in Cyprus for depression.... Sorry I mean decompression. Again this is something that you can have set aside at home to be posted out to you towards the end of your tour.

Gnasher

LAC
Ta for the replies lads. Found out some more info today (cant post obviously) which has alleviated a good few questions, keep the replies coming, any advice is always welcome!!

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I will be arriving in Bastion about mid feb so pop up to the aeromed cell at the hospital for a brew if you get chance. Pm me for anything.

jti

LAC
I'm in the same boat as you and got here 2 months ago, I'm in a Close Support role if you have any questions on that side give me a PM.

Gnasher

LAC
Many thanks for the replies chaps - all info taken on board. Luckily enough a couple of the lads I'm off out there with have been a good few times before so I'll be picking their brains too!

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I'd invite you to my place but, it's not that exciting and it's got a huge fence around it with locked gates so it's hardly welcoming.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I volunteered as they wanted to send me to watch penguins for free, one nicely worded gen app later I'm drinking mountain dew and marshalling 747's