• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Basic/trade training

Hiya fellas, just a couple of quickies, am off to Brize in July for the open day (4626 Sqd) with a view to joining as an RAF medic. My questions are: if ex forces, army and TA, left just over 3 years ago, would I still have to do a recruit course? Not a problem if I do, also would anybody know what course I would have to do for my trade? I am a paramedic and I know I would have to do some conversion course (there is no paramedic vacancies just yet) Eager to get started as am 48 now, getting on a bit !! So if there is anyone from the Sqd on the goat who can give me any advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there

im ex raf (out 4 and a half years) and joined 609 sqn. I was given LAC rank and didn't have to do basic training. Plus if I had joined a year earlier I would have been eligible to receive the top bounty award. Not sure if its the same across the board but would think so.

Hope this helps

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
This is not written in stone, but it's a double edged sword (yes, its Eurovision mixed metaphor night).

If you leave and join the Reserves within 5 years, you do not have to undergo basic, but it does affect your pension.

If you try to join after 5 years out, your pension is safe but you start at square one.