• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Barry Masefield

stormwell

LAC
I have found out that my uncle, Barry Masefield, passed away early on Friday (15th Oct) after losing a fight with cancer.

Barry had a long service in the RAF, originally in 1959 as a Radar Technician Apprentice. He later retrained as aircrew and would serve on the Shackleton and Nimrod from 1963 to 1979 before being commissioned as an AEO on the Vulcan force with 617 Squadron at Scampton before being posted to Waddington in 1982. He took part in the Black Buck raids during the Falklands War, originally as part of the Primary crew for the first raid but actually going in on the second. Following the Vulcan's withdrawal he went to the Victor tanker force at Marham and ended up taking part in the Gulf War. Retired in 1994 with the rank of Squadron Leader.

The Vulcan was the plane that Barry had the greatest association with, not only the Black Buck raids but also the RAF Vulcan Display Flight from 1986 to 1993 and later the Vulcan to the Sky Trust.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
RIP and condolences to the family. Black buck raids a famous piece of RAF history.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I had the privilege of knowing your uncle during my time on the Victors at Marham.
A sincere, honest and fine gentlemen, as well as a professional and knowledgeable Officer.
My condolences to you and your family.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Stormwell, my condolences to you and your family.
His story is a reminder to us all that behind every well known story of '1 off' heroism or daring there are usually less well known individuals with long, solid professional careers who were loved by their families, respected by colleagues and members of communities but without whom the famous incident couldn't have happened.
They too deserve our remembrance.

stormwell

LAC
Yeah, I didn't find out much about his service life until much later after we'd fallen out of contact.

That said, he arranged for the Vulcan to do a flyover of my cousin's wedding in 2012 and I got a chance to chat with him then particularly as I'd read Rowland White's Vulcan 607 which Barry features in. He joked that "Martin Whithers stole his Military Medal!"

Also recall him taking us to a Families Day at Marham in the early '90s.