• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Barratt Homes

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Looking for opinions of those who have used them to purchase a home. At the moment they do offer an attractive £15K towards a house for current serving and those who are due to leave in the next 12 months.

They do have a number of plots around Bristol so yes it looks like I'm off to be a Civil Serpent.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you are thinking about using help to buy then you need to check what freebies can be included. Unless you’re buying in a hot market I’d expect at least 5% off the sticker price, for them to cover stamp duty and the cost of some additional fittings and fixtures on a good plot.

The sales office will be desperate to keep the sale price high, because everyone can check how much you paid.

You might be offered a superb deal on selected plots, however these tend to be the hard to sell ones, be careful because you might have problems selling too. I put a cheeky bid in on a large house with no garage once, about 15% in a strong market, they came down by 10% but I walked away, a couple of months later they came back to me to see if I was still interested but I’d moved on by then.

Top tip, don’t trust the builder, the sales rep isn’t a friend and once you complete all the issues are yours to sort out, pay for a snagging service and be persistent with any issues.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I just spent some time reading reviews of them on Trustpilot. I have never seen so much vitriol and hatred directed towards a building firm before from just about every review on there.

I'll be avoiding them then.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I just spent some time reading reviews of them on Trustpilot. I have never seen so much vitriol and hatred directed towards a building firm before from just about every review on there.

Watch out for David Wilson homes as well. They're a part of the Barrett group.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Watch out for David Wilson homes as well. They're a part of the Barrett group.

I think I'll stick to the good old fashioned house not thrown up in 3 weeks. I imagine that £15k Barratt offer the Military has already been factored into the asking price and you'll spend double that fixing their shite jobs.

unruly1986

Sergeant
We have a David Wilson (‘premium Barratt’) house. £10k off the sticker price, stamp paid, upgraded fittings, turf.

I reckon that we could’ve had another £10k off if sales were slow.

We are happy with it. Nice area, good plot which isn’t overlooked and open green areas out to the front.

You do have to be persistent with the snagging; once you are in, the on site team don’t really want to know as they have others to move in.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts

All the big builders are about the same, i think some people unrealistically expect a perfect home when they make the biggest purchase of their life, in reality its probably going to 70% - 90% depending how much they’ve rushed to get it completed within a financial reporting period.

My current house was a Charles Church (Persimmon’s premier brand), they tried to convince me that an independent snagging report was a waste of my time and money, and the more they tried to convince me the more I realised I needed one. Post completion there were plenty of bodges to be found, they were quick to sort out the little things, but there were a couple of big things that meant we ended up with the warranty provider telling them to get it sorted. Like anything, like my neighbours who still have the issues I had sorted, they just expect people to give up.

You might find better quality with a medium size builder like Redrow or Linden, although if you go looking you’ll find plenty who have had an issue with them. Buying a new home is a journey, it takes about 5 years before you‘ll have it how you want it, its not the perfect walk in that the pamphlets and sales agents suggest.

Personally I’d wait a couple of months to see where the market is going, private sellers (not the stubborn ones who let their home sit on the market for years) always react quicker than builders to market shifts, I’d be on the look out for a Part Ex sitting on a builders books, they’ll be desperate to get cash through the books.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Whichever builder you go with see if you can get 'Top Cash Back'.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
My gaff is a Redrow house and it is 6 years old, bought from new. Its had the usual snags associated with a new house; as it dried out I got a lot of cracks in the walls appear for example, but I have to echo Busby's point about the snagging service - you have to display a degree of tenacity in getting any issues you discover on completion resolved otherwise they try and slope shoulders.

When I moved in I discovered that the front door glass had been cracked, all of the internal doors werent secured to the hinges, the window in the master bedroom didnt close properly and someone had wiped a paint brush on the exterior wall which needed cleaning up. Redrow captured the issues in what they called a "blue book", and every week for about 4 or 5 week after the site manager kept calling me to come round and sign off the blue book to acknowledge that the jobs had been completed - which they hadnt. It took a lot of effort to get it all sorted.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
The new quarters at a secret Lincolnshire base soon to host a vintage aircraft display team are David Wilson Homes. Moved into a brand new one and they were still building the others and there were lots of significant issues that needed remedying. Whilst the rest of the builds were taking place it was reasonably easy to get the site manager in to look and have things fixed. as soon as the phase of the build was complete however all the support for snagging disappeared along with the site manager.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Barratt homes featured on world in action in the mid 70s. They were using timber frames in their houses and leaving them out in the rain, as a result try weren't drying out and when they did the houses were cracking. The joke at the time was. What's the difference between herpes and a Barratt house. Answer you can get rid of herpes

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I flipped quite a few houses in the last 12 years of my time in...new and old. It was that time when you could buy a house, do feck all to it and flog it 18 months later and make 15k.

I looked at a few Barrett houses because as people say you can get some deals but the design of some of the kitchens (very odd angles in some), build and finish quality were generally rubbish so I left them well alone.

I bought a Persimmons House in South Wales once 'off plan'. They were pretty good quality and they hung around the site for a while to pick up any snags and never argued.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Back in the late 70's me and Mrs W_J had a wander around a Barrett 'Show House' while house hunting. The quality of the paint job was good on first glance, but, when you had a real look around the quality of build and finishing was real botch up,, gaps around windows and doors, skirting boards not joined, etc. I had a chat with a guy who had worked as a sub-contract plaster for a short time on another Barrett site, he said they were told to cut every possible corner to save as much as possible on costs. Things don't change much so at a guess I would suggest that Barrett still employ Del Boys

unruly1986

Sergeant
Back in the late 70's me and Mrs W_J had a wander around a Barrett 'Show House' while house hunting. The quality of the paint job was good on first glance, but, when you had a real look around the quality of build and finishing was real botch up,, gaps around windows and doors, skirting boards not joined, etc. I had a chat with a guy who had worked as a sub-contract plaster for a short time on another Barrett site, he said they were told to cut every possible corner to save as much as possible on costs. Things don't change much so at a guess I would suggest that Barrett still employ Del Boys

They employ local contractors at each site, so depending where you are looking the quality will vary.

Overall we are happy with ours. Every house was new at some point; at our price range older houses were tired and cramped.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Only brand new house I've bought was in Norwich built by Beazer homes. There was very little wrong with it throughout the time I owned it, and when I did an initial snagging report, they came and fixed everything very quickly and to my satisfaction.

I'd go down the 2nd hand route Spearmint - you get more space and more garden for your £, and if you can get a house with potential to extend, then I would say that's even better. No matter how posh your builder sounds, they still have the intent to put as many houses on their land as they can.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Cheers Gents. 👍

There are some decent looking houses around our price aimpoint which aren't a massive distance to my future place of work, so we'll be buying a house with potential.