• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Barber's Adagio For Strings

Barber's Adagio For Strings

• Yes, brilliant, amazingly haunting

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • utter garbage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • well the dance version is good, dunno bout the original

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • never heard of it

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Right Barber's Adagio For Strings, I just heard it on that power to the people doc about abondoned troops on the bbc tonite. is this one of the most haunting spine tingleing peices of music ever written and played.

It seems to be in almost every war related film/documentry especilaly at a very sad moment.

for those who dont know it, its probably most famous playing is in platoon when sgt elias (willim defoe)gets killed by the vc.

and for the younger people also remixed into one of the best dance tunes ever.

discuss

M

monobrow

William Orbit did quite a bit for forcing some classical onto the tranced out ones among us....

However, it is based on (but don't quote me on it.) angis dei (spelling probably toilet) which is some kind of sung prayer.

THAT my friend is the most chilling version of it. A choir basically singing the whole thing.

M

mad_mo

Right Barber's Adagio For Strings, I just heard it on that power to the people doc about abondoned troops on the bbc tonite. is this one of the most haunting spine tingleing peices of music ever written and played.

Agreed its a haunting theme, however Im more of a Bach man myself with classics like Jesu Joy of mans desiring and I love Prokofiev's masterpeice of " Dance of the Nights performed by the Kirov Orchestra.

Call me sad :pDT_Xtremez_08:

M

monobrow

Don't forget String Quartet in C-Sharp Minor Opus 131 by Beethoven.

It's in the episode of Band of Brothers where they find the concentration camp.

Thank you google!!!

W

Wing boy

Marvelous piece of music. I believe it's also in Gallipoli but just to top it off Barber was an airman. this is from wikipedia. I think he was a MSGT Airgunner

From his early to late twenties, Barber wrote a flurry of successful compositions, launching him into the spotlight of the classical music community. Many of his compositions were commissioned or first performed by such famous artists as Vladimir Horowitz, Eleanor Steber, Raya Garbousova, John Browning, Leontyne Price, Pierre Bernac, Francis Poulenc, and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. At the young age of 28, Barber's Adagio for Strings was performed by the NBC Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Arturo Toscanini. Barber was the first American composer to have a composition performed by Toscanini, launching him to international prominence. Barber served in the Army Air Corps in World War II, where he was commissioned to write his Second Symphony, a work he later suppressed (which was resurrected in a Vox recording by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra). He would go on to win a Pulitzer prize in 1963 for his Concerto for Piano and Orchestra.

Last edited:
M

mad_mo

Marvelous piece of music. I believe it's also in Gallipoli

I beleive you are refering to the music when Mel Gibson makes the frantic dash to deliver the message before the men go over the trench.

That was Jean Michael Jarre.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I beleive you are refering to the music when Mel Gibson makes the frantic dash to deliver the message before the men go over the trench.

Excellent film Gallipoli, one of Gibsons best (I find his later films to be a bit self righteous if you know what I mean)

G

gemarriott

Barbers adaggio was voted top piece for 2 years by classic FM in their Easter poll.

Another haunting piece is Ashokan farewell, also fairly modern.

M

monobrow

Don't forget String Quartet in C-Sharp Minor Opus 131 by Beethoven.

It's in the episode of Band of Brothers where they find the concentration camp.

Thank you google!!!
Stupid quoting my own post, but found a clip on YouTube from that episode.

It's a very moving peice of music, and a rather moving episode.

K

katinthehat

It is Gallipoli the adagio is used - that is the first place I heard it - and it totally astounded me then - so much so, I went out and bought a copy - and as a teenager, that was unheard of!! Classical?? nah!!
Still - amazingly evocative piece, whenever it is used.

W

Wonky Tonka

Personally, I prefer Nimrod by Elgar.

Really moving piece of music.

They played it at Leuchars Airshow last year, as the Nimrod did a flypast in memory of the crew killed the week previously in the Afghanistan crash.

There weren't many dry eyes on the crowd-line.

Rest In Peace CXX Crew 3.

F

fergo

Gotta say music of tat ilk laced to scenes like the one in Platoon and Band of Brothers is a bit of a tear jerker.
Same goes for te music in The Deer Hunter and The Godfather. Its pretty amazing

M

mad_mo

It is Gallipoli the adagio is used - that is the first place I heard it - and it totally astounded me then - so much so, I went out and bought a copy - and as a teenager, that was unheard of!! Classical?? nah!!
Still - amazingly evocative piece, whenever it is used.

I must have overlooked it, but Jarre's music is also in the film...

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
Albinoni's Adagio in G minor is a far better work. An original baroque, as opposed to an American pretender.

It's still a great piece of music though.

D

G

gemarriott

They played it at Leuchars Airshow last year, as the Nimrod did a flypast in memory of the crew killed the week previously in the Afghanistan crash.

Talking music of a different class when you talk Nimrod and Elgar. It is the one single piece of music which always brings a tear to the eye of millions and evokes the act of remembrance. Perhaps because every year it is played around the world when poppies are being placed on war memorials but it is a marvellous piece of music.

W

Wing boy

No mate, I was on about when the other guy does his "faster than a leopard" bit and runs towards the guns. I think it plays then. Not sure though

M

mad_mo

No mate, I was on about when the other guy does his "faster than a leopard" bit and runs towards the guns. I think it plays then. Not sure though

Ahh yes I know what your on about now, thats the end of the film. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

FootTapper

Sergeant

Enigma Variations, and Nimrod in particular, have been my dad's favourite pieces of music for as long as I can remember. Sadly if I hear Nimrod at all even just on tv or an advert it makes me well up (which can be a little strange in the crew room...)

It was of course the perfect piece of music for the Nimrod flypast

RIP John Langton

Status
Not open for further replies.