• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ban on HIV lifted for operational service.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's a huge step forward.

Next, diabetics with controlled medication should be allowed to deploy and not have their careers ruined. When professional football can allow for it, so can the armed forces. Diabetics should no longer be discriminated against

Asthmatics with controlled asthma should be allowed to deploy and not have their careers ruined because of it. David Beckham, Paula Radcliffe and Sir Bradley Wiggins seem to have done okay in high profile sport, but if SAC Aviator Bloggs (or whatever they're calling it this week) develops asthma in service and it's fully controlled, they should now, no longer be subject to medical downgrade.

Whilst the above examples are purely that, examples, I see the possibility of the HiV ruling being used in lawsuits where minor ailments have resulted in career blocking medical downgrades.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Next, diabetics with controlled medication should be allowed to deploy and not have their careers ruined. When professional football can allow for it, so can the armed forces. Diabetics should no longer be discriminated against
No mention of the poor souls who have endured years of prolonged suffering from twisted sock or glass back being allowed to deploy. Now that would be a step forward

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

Asthmatics with controlled asthma should be allowed to deploy and not have their careers ruined because of it. David Beckham, Paula Radcliffe and Sir Bradley Wiggins seem to have done okay in high profile sport, but if SAC Aviator Bloggs (or whatever they're calling it this week) develops asthma in service and it's fully controlled, they should now, no longer be subject to medical downgrade.

Whilst the above examples are purely that, examples, I see the possibility of the HiV ruling being used in lawsuits where minor ailments have resulted in career blocking medical downgrades.
Interesting you mention diabetics. What about those who are not on any form of medication but are on a regime of diet and exercise to control their blood sugars - are they also having their careers curtailed or prevented from deploying? Not picking an argument, just genuinely interested.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Interesting you mention diabetics. What about those who are not on any form of medication but are on a regime of diet and exercise to control their blood sugars - are they also having their careers curtailed or prevented from deploying? Not picking an argument, just genuinely interested.
Again, just curiosity, are those who are controlling diabetes through diet and exercise truly deployable though? Food and exercise opportunities may be severely limited in some operational scenarios and prevent the maintenance of the established controlling regime?

ERT

Corporal

I've has asthma since 2011, I've been on multiple DWRs. You *can* currently deploy with Asthma.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've has asthma since 2011, I've been on multiple DWRs. You *can* currently deploy with Asthma.

That's good to know. I know of some with a diagnosis of "light asthma" however who are fighting to get their downgrade lifted but to no avail.

ERT

Corporal
That's good to know. I know of some with a diagnosis of "light asthma" however who are fighting to get their downgrade lifted but to no avail.

Yeah,

MFD, A4 L1 M1 E2 (1300 medical marker), Medical marker is for Asthma.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
No mention of the poor souls who have endured years of prolonged suffering from twisted sock or glass back being allowed to deploy. Now that would be a step forward

I remember a FS Mover who had "back trouble" when it came to sqn deployments. It the det was to somewhere in the UK or the frozen wastes of northern Norway, he was never able to go. However, come Red Flag time or other very nice locations, he was always first on the list to go - it wrankled a lot especially when he expected the stn's suppliers to pick up the crappy dets.