• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Av Tech, W Tech, Squppier?

artie

LAC
Good morning all,

I passed my AST1 last week with a score good enough for all trades. The recruiter was pushing for me to go for SNCO ATC but I really don't fancy it. My application got closed as I have a cross tattoo between my shoulder blades of which the tip (1-2cm) can be seen above my collar when my chin is touching my chest due to the skin being stretched. (It's not visible when my head is in an upright position) :- can you appeal this decision at all? Or is it deffinatly a no go? I have my first laser removal session at 12 today.

The trades I'm interested in are as the title, I'm a quality engineer in the aerospace industry currently and I feel the above would be a good career progression.

I need to be 100% on what I'm choosing, and at the moment I'm not. I can't find a great deal of info on Squipper, there's a good thread on here for W tech, and bits and bobs about av tech. My questions are:

What do the 3 trades pay after full trade training?
Is the extra time training for AV tech worth it?
What is this pint of vomit all about Re. Wtech?
Are the trades rewarding in terms of job satisfaction?
which has the most outdoor work? (Working outside in the cold rain at 3am actually appeals to me)

If you could answer some of, or all of my questions I'd be most grateful, I'm particularly interested to hear from people with experience in the said trades.

Many Thanks,

Alan.

Last edited:

Chad Norman

Corporal
If you want to work outside in the cold rain at 3am, then i can recommend rigger (or ATM for new money).

As Av, you can always watch the nasty weather from the comfort of crewroom or flight deck!

Not sure about the tattoo thing mate, Im sure the film "An Officer & a Gentleman" had a solution for that, bloody big plaster!

Worth a punt?

Chad

artie

LAC
Cheers for the input Chad, I will look a little more into ATM, do you know if they have the same amount of time in training?

I wish it could be that simple! Had my first treatment today, let's just say I'm not looking forward to the next one on the 22nd of December! Still, there's some pigment loss already so it's just a matter of time now!

timaloy

Corporal
Old school plumbers love to drink each others **** etc, usually "drink to you die" and other character building escapades always in the pub, there are still a few around, but that image is sadly going in favour of gym freaks and protein shakes,

artie

LAC
Ah, Thanks for the insight. Thats a real shame, then again, downing a pint of protien shake is just as rancid, that stuff is leathal! More to life than the gym though!

Shugster

Warrant Officer
With everything being automated these days I would go for AV tech if I could do it all again.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
I'm just leaving after 15+ years as an Armourer, if I did it all again I'd choose the same trade.

I've been out 22 years and agree with him ^^^^, I wouldn't have expected to have learned so much from the trade that has helped outside of the trade.

Oberon305

Chairborne
Truth.....after 24 years as an AV Tech, I would have joined as a different trade. Non-technical if I'm honest. 2 extra ranks to plow through for the same pay band as an admin wallah. I know, blah blah, pay shmay, but it's important. If you want to be an ac tech simply because you love working on ac, then great, but I'd seriously consider SNCO ATC or aircrew if they've offered it.