• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATM Seminar at Cranwell tomorrow

orgASMic

LAC
I only said it was possible not probable. I did what Manning does and read the APs and interpreted the regulations, balanced by the experience of having sat on a promotion selection board. The fact that the pool is very small does not mean it cannot happen for the right person.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Yep, and it's not as if it would be much of a challenge to pinch a FOM's job if it came to that.
Any controller, even a failed one who's only just strolled through the door, could happily pick up the reins and crack on. NOTAMs, Flight Plans, Rosters, making sure you don't lose control of your bladder during your mid-afternoon nap, airfield driving permits, making tea for the Boss etc etc.
OpsO's are a prime example of how a downward step for someone absolutely incapable of even making it to Scribbly can slide into a FOM job.
The real challenge would be to stop your brain dribbling out of your ears with the pointless futility and mind numbing ease of it all. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Off Topic

The real challenge would be to stop your brain dribbling out of your ears

And there was me thinking that was the point of the 'all new' JATCC .

Off Topic

Anyway Rojaws, enough of your jealousy - get back on (and stay on) topic eh?

J Y Kelly

Corporal
A couple of years ago one of the FS Controllers decided that he couldn't cope with it any more due to stress and that he wanted to be a FOM. After an extended period of imprinting his arse on the crewroom chairs with the occasional visit to the therapist, a short detachment to High Wycombe was found for him. It seems that he was upset by the attitude of some of the FOM's down there that they didn't welcome him with open arms. On his return and after another lengthily hold which gave him the opportunity to avoid anything that might be considered constructive, the powers at be offered him the opportunity to remuster. First he would be detached to the other end of the country to shadow a PFOM for six months then an out of area for four. Only then would he be considered suitable to be placed in a FOM's post. The proposal was not to his liking so he PVR'd.

This individual was well known as a complete chiseller and it was very obvious that he was afraid of working for a living. He gambled on being pushed into a quiet corner and left to fester, I'm glad they saw through him. He wasn't the only one, a Sgt deliberately dropping a number of check rides hoping to have an easy time with just a couple of tickets and a Flt Lt supposedly going wibble to miraculously be re-branched to PTI within weeks.

In previous years I believe it was possible to be selected on both boards, for Controller and FOM. I think that it is most unlikely now, I know of a few who were acting Corporals going into JATCC so if they failed to check out, potentially they could be back to SAC. The OCU proposal is interesting, essentially it's formalising the system that CATCS has been doing for years. Pushing out people with marginal passes to see if they make it in the outside world, if they don't let the units make the difficult decisions.

orgASMic

LAC
I don't think the attitude to passing out 'training risks' will change too much. From what I understand, the assessed phase of JATCC will be tailored to suit the OCUs. Those students going to OCU A will have their sims set up just like the real OCU A, thereby teaching them the airspace and procedures of their next unit. Thus, when they reach OCU A, they can go straight into OJT having already practised the procedures. This should ensure that they endorse quicker because they were already satisfactory in each position in the sim.
If the OCUs are set up properly, they should (IMHO) utilise ex-CATCS instructors as the basis for their trg teams, giving the first-tourists continuity of instruction and better standardisation. It will also give the SATCOs a bit of stability to counter the turnover of first-tourists doing their 18-month Combat ready work-up.