• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATC Officer career advice

S447

LAC
Hi

I am giving some consideration to applying to become an ATC Officer.

I was wondering how my age may affect any potential promotion prospects? I realise that, at 33, I would be at least a decade behind the majority of my peers. Furthermore, past Flt Lt, promotion is competitive and I’m wondering if my age would be a significant barrier to advancement? I understand there are numerous other variables at play, just trying to get a ‘feel’ for it.

The website states that any successful applicant would join on a 12 year commission, with any extension to 20 years of service being by selection. Are these particularly hard to come by? I’d be mid-fifties in 20 years and (with a bit of luck!) ready to retire.

Would I be moved around to a different base every few years? Say, Shawbury for a while then Akrotiri (for example), the process to repeat for the duration of my commission? If so, how long are these stints, on average? I guess they can’t be too short, as you’d be a fair while learning your location specific ATC procedures and knowledge

Thank you very much for your help

S447

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Initially, as a SNCO ATC you will earn more than a JO (obviously this changes as an officer reaches FLt Lt etc) but apart from that, controlling job wise, they are effectively one in the same. You can always apply to commission later in your career (and I've known quite a few SNCO controllers take that route)

In addition to the points made by the previous poster you should consider the following attributes of being an ATC SNCO:

1. You will have friends
2. You will have a trade
3. You will have integrity

Unfortunately, I can't speak for your initial choice!

J Y Kelly

Corporal
I fully understand where Old Wobbly is coming from and I wish that things were as clear cut now as they were in the past. From what I gather, the numbers of Controllers available is a very poor. I would suggest to anyone who wants to become an Air Traffic Controller in the RAF, that this is a good time to apply.

unruly1986

Sergeant
I fully understand where Old Wobbly is coming from and I wish that things were as clear cut now as they were in the past. From what I gather, the numbers of Controllers available is a very poor. I would suggest to anyone who wants to become an Air Traffic Controller in the RAF, that this is a good time to apply.

Why are there so few controllers available? Are they all leaving/natural wastage/missed ITTs?

Genuinely interested as I have an interest in applying.

J Y Kelly

Corporal
The non PC answer would be Maternity Leave but there are other issues that effect the whole of the RAF. There is a new initiative cropping up in November which may help with the numbers going through but that is almost an experiment.