• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AST - Very Close scores (1 or 2 marks off)

Hi all

So I sat an AST to rejoin the RAF this week and scored higher stanine scores for the trade, but I was only 2 Group Score marks off the new trade I wanted. I needed 53 and got 51.

With ten years' previous RAF service experience, (I have only been out 4 months!), and a degree. Surely this is quite harsh.

I was made aware that waivers can be lodged if only 1 or 2 marks off and there is a good reason for a waiver. (Or a Trade Aptitude Report 'TAR'). One has been put in for me. I hope it gets accepted. I really don't want to go back to the AFCO and resit the AST for just 2 marks. It's really hard getting time off in civvie street for things like this. (Another reason why I want back in!).

I'm just wondering if there's anybody else out there who has ever scored so close on an AST and been allowed to progress? I hope that they agree to the waiver. Civvie street is proving too difficult to adjust to.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Hi all

So I sat an AST to rejoin the RAF this week and scored higher stanine scores for the trade, but I was only 2 Group Score marks off the new trade I wanted. I needed 53 and got 51.

With ten years' previous RAF service experience, (I have only been out 4 months!), and a degree. Surely this is quite harsh.

I was made aware that waivers can be lodged if only 1 or 2 marks off and there is a good reason for a waiver. (Or a Trade Aptitude Report 'TAR'). One has been put in for me. I hope it gets accepted. I really don't want to go back to the AFCO and resit the AST for just 2 marks. It's really hard getting time off in civvie street for things like this. (Another reason why I want back in!).

I'm just wondering if there's anybody else out there who has ever scored so close on an AST and been allowed to progress? I hope that they agree to the waiver. Civvie street is proving too difficult to adjust to.

If waivers weren’t allowed then the AFCO wouldn’t have sent one in, you’ve just got to wait for a reply from the people who can say yes, it will come down to the strength of your case and service need.

Subject to recruiting pressures at times they are looking at anything that will let them accept the waiver, and at times they will be looking for any reason to reject, as a former airman they’ll have a bit more info to hand so it might take a little longer to get you an answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk