• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AST requirements for Int An (Reserves) roles

Harby1

LAC
Happy New Year one and all! I've obtained some sample AST questions (howtobecome) and was surprised to find these more difficult than I'd expected. Particularly maths, probably because I've relied heavily on a calculator in my job (financial services) for the past 15-20 years!
I was also surprised to find myself stronger in the mechanical comprehension questions than I would have thought though.
I'll keep practising so that I will do my best in a couple of weeks but is anyone able to offer any further insight they can offer based on their experience? What strengths/aptitudes would one need to demonstrate in the AST for the IA roles? How is the AST scored against the requirements for the Int An trade? Many thanks, Harby1.

Hello Harby, I did this test recently and passed with some good scores. Its out of around 144 marks something lke that. I don't want to break any confidentiality agreements but basically my advice is this. The ICT groups you need 65 and 63 for example. Int An requires 60 similar to Personnel (Support) - lower mark. I made sure I had a tick/cross in every box by the end of the paper. Don't worry too much about the elec or mech section as its more suited to Regulars I believe or school leavers with a knowledge specific for going for these trades. Concentrate on maths and English. I found it much easier to go straight to the answer sheet (multiple guess paper) and reverse engineer your answer. 2 or 3 answers are obviously way wrong; then focus in on the two which are very similar. Relax throughout the test its an enjoyable experience like a Mensa Test more than sitting your O Levels for example.

Harby1

LAC
Great thanks arch. That's encouraging to read - I thought I'd misplaced a few brain cells somewhere.

Harby1

LAC
Clutching victory from the hands of an AST2 defeat? Has it been done before?

Clutching victory from the hands of an AST2 defeat? Has it been done before?

Well, I've recently just sat the AST and, sadly, my results were pretty awful. So much so, I won't be invited back to resit (AST2) for the Int An role nor are there any trades available with my current AST scores. Such a shame because I really liked what I saw at the info day in terms of what I could offer and what the reserves could offer in return.

Without wishing to seem arrogant, I'm really disappointed with myself as I've got good quals and have been sitting professional papers since leaving Uni (with a 2:1). This has always been through tenacity rather than naturally gifted ability though.

The trade I was hoping to go for was Int An which requires Group B, 60 group score (Specific scores VR2, NR2). Anything under 50 and they don't ask you back to resit. So I scored 30 in Grp B, 3 in VR and 6 in NR. The other scores were: WR 3, EC 3, MC 2, SR 2. The format of the memory test wasn't what I'd imagined either.

In practice tests I'd been scoring 100% in VR and demonstrated a substantial improvement in NR to an above average score which I'd worked on the basis as being my weak spot. However (and here come the excuses) the time pressure panicked me on this occasion after lack of sleep, a long day of presentations, making small talk and thinking about what is on offer. At the end of the day though - I don't think I tried hard enough.

The recruiter (who was great) has kindly offered to put me in touch with other trades/sqns with a view to retaking the AST. He suggested though, in his experience, that it would be too much of a jump in scores to expect a resit to produce a successful score. When I suggested that if I got the required AST scores elsewhere would I be able to darken their doors again, the recruiter said yes.

So never say die? At 37 I don't consider myself too old, the brain cells do work and on my day, I'm sure that I could pass the AST.

What actually makes up Group B? Has any else got any AST1 horror stories and snatched victory from the hands of an AST2 defeat? If I don't go back, I've certainly taken on board a lot more respect for the reserves having seen what they give back in terms of public duty. Harby1

What actually makes up Group B? Has any else got any AST1 horror stories and snatched victory from the hands of an AST2 defeat? If I don't go back, I've certainly taken on board a lot more respect for the reserves having seen what they give back in terms of public duty. Harby1

Sorry to hear that Harby,
Group B trades:
RAF Regiment Gunner - Score 40
Int An - Score 60
Logistics (Driver) - Score 50
Photographer - Score 58
PTI - Score 58
RAF Police - Score 60

I believe you have checked wrong boxes/out of sequence. Have another go at it.

Harby1

LAC
Thanks Arch, now that you say that I think you may well be right. There were occasions during the AST when I had to correct some of my responses due to syncing/answering the wrong questions. So more practice under pressure and I'll contact the recruiter for the best foot forward. You've been really helpful once again, thank you.

Harby1

LAC
Dry your eyes mate, I know it’s hard to take but the RAF's mind has been made up...

Dry your eyes mate, I know it’s hard to take but the RAF's mind has been made up...

Well it seems that they only route to re-sit the AST that I can determine so far would be following an info event for the Rocks at Brize...and I think they'd find me out pretty quickly in that I would not be cut out for the trade. As I've indicated in my last post the low score was v.likely due to a number of other factors because my NR score was a pass. However, my VR (100% in practice tests) was ballsed-up due to ticking the wrong boxes (unintentionally) and the invigilator not clearly stating that that section of the test had begun (I know excuses, excuses). Any alternative suggestions to get to actually re-sit the paper gratefully welcomed! If I fall that, I'll accept that I'm pretty solid and walk away now, it's over. I'll give the Reserves line a call but suspect that this scenario might require a bit of thinking outside the recruitment processes toolbox and there's probably another potential auggie out there who'd pass first time. Kicking myself really, I could have sat and passed the AST after the info day at my local AFCO. Harby.

Last edited:

oneiron

LAC
Hi all, Ive just sat my AST and I passed the overall mark (scoring 58) but failed in VR scoring 3 but needing 5. Ive been invited back to resit early June. To be honest I only have myself to blame as I only focused revising my maths and this was the area I scored highest on. Yet my VR , which I considered to be my strong point proved to be my lowest scored. What I failed to do was take account of the time constraints and completely cocked up the VR section , I was advised to answer only the questions I was certain about and not to guess as "they" had ways of telling of if you had just filled the outstanding questions with random marks. Proved to be my downfall really as I took my time too much and answered only about half the section! Safe to say I have bought the RAF Airman Tests (Richard Munn) practice book ( noted they have a couple of answers wrong !) and another book on psychometric testing and I've been busy practicing and brushing up on my skills.