• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AST - anyone able to recommend a good phone app?

Harby1

LAC
Evening,

Hoping to PASS my AST2 in the next few weeks for the RAFR - it's probably my last bite of the cherry now. Could anyone recommend a good mobile phone app to practice VR, NR, memory, etc please?

Harby

Last edited:

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Evening,

Hoping to PASS my AST2 in the next few weeks for the RAFR. It's probably my last bite of the cherry now - could anyone recommend a good mobile phone app to practice VR, NR, memory, etc please?

Harby

You seem to be beating yourself up a bit about this. I've just read your posts on the earlier AST thread and it struck me that doing things like ticking the wrong boxes is often what people do when they are feeling under too much pressure: also, you don't seem to appreciate your own achievements, for example by suggesting that your highly respectable 2-1 was the result of plodding rather than inspiration; you seem to need to do something about boosting your self-respect because it seems to me the pressure is coming from inside yourself. Remember, the tortoise beats the hare every time! Be easy on yourself.

It's for others to advise you about a relevant app. The very best of luck - any score better than your previous one is an achievement. And there other other organisations Out There, depending on where you live.

Harby1

LAC
Thanks flybynight...there's a bit of truth there and I've got a bit of a point to prove! Do appreciate the feedback, I'll get practicing for the right reasons as this is definitely something I want to do. Harby.

LilStill

Sergeant
What trade? If non-technical BBC Bitesize for Maths and English will see you right. FitBrains will do well enough on your phone for Maths and Memory.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Might be unconventional, but I did not revise for my AST (it was a few years ago though). It's like any selection test; designed to filter out those who simply cannot do certain tasks (mechanical comprehension for example) you can either do these things or you can't, although I appreciate brushing up on basic maths probably won't do you any harm.

Another tip (unless it;s changed); don't try and finish all the questions; in some sections it's impossible to finish in the allotted time.

Just my thoughts on the matter, for what they are worth.

oneiron

LAC
Might be unconventional, but I did not revise for my AST (it was a few years ago though). It's like any selection test; designed to filter out those who simply cannot do certain tasks (mechanical comprehension for example) you can either do these things or you can't, although I appreciate brushing up on basic maths probably won't do you any harm. Another tip (unless it;s changed); don't try and finish all the questions; in some sections it's impossible to finish in the allotted time. Just my thoughts on the matter, for what they are worth.
Of course its each to their own but I would strongly advise AST candidates to practice , practice , practice - plenty of on line tests out there which are free. Depends which are your weak areas but I focused on VR & NR , my EC & MC were reasonably sound , the rest of the sections are what they are and I found practicing didn't really improve my scores also the memory test wasn't scored on either of my AST's ( which is probably just as well!!) not really sure why it was in the test but I'm certain that it will form part of the result somewhere just couldn't see where. In the week leading up to my AST2 I spent an hour revising and practicing and it paid off, some lucky buggers can just stroll up and pass it first time but unfortunately not me! Im now at medical stage and as Hammy the Hamster once said .."but that's another story"

Harby1

LAC
All sorted...VR not as good as I'd have liked seeing as I do it all day in my day job but the time factor in the AST is a killer. On to the interview and medical. Happy days!

Numerical, Mechanical and electrical have been 6 and 7s in both tests and I'd always thought I had more of a language bias so this has indeed been an eye opener...in a positive way.

Last edited: