• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Army transfer

R

redheadkev

Hi guys,
After a bit of advice really.
I'm currently a SSgt Artificer in the Army (REME) with 16 years behind me and I'm pretty threaders with it! I'm now 33 and trained as a vehicle mechanic and have plenty of quals (HND etc), but seriously considering a transfer to the RAF but unsure of what trade and if its been done before etc.
Got an idea of trying for Non-commissioned aircrew or a commission in a technical ground trade.
Any know if its been done before? Is there a seperate selection process? Our Artificer selection is exactly the same as the aircrew/ officer selection process (except for the medicals) so do the hoops need to be jumped through?

Any info would be much appreciated

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Hoops are us

Hoops are us

The Army do have a different selection procedure and suitability criteria to the RAF.

You will need to apply to the Army to transfer and then go through the selection process for what you want to do in the RAF.

If you want to be Aircrew or Officer then this means filtering then selection at OASC.

Officer wise you need to know what type of Eng O you want to be, you may be surprised how limited the areas in which they are employed compared the RE/REME.

Good luck, though don't expect a shoe in.

F

Flaps100

redhead I know a guy who transferred from the Coldstream Guards to NCA. Can I suggest that you contact the TCO at 55R sqn at RAF Cranwell and organise a visit to see the NCA training and opportunities open to you. They do a monthly visit on the last Thursday in every month. The WSOp guys on the Nimrod have had their training stopped for about 18 months so you will end up as a WSOp Crewman. The NCA world are disparate for people, particularly in the SH world as they are hurting with sickies, bad backs, necks, knees etc.
As for Commissioning in the Engineering Branch, you end up as a Manager rather than a maintainer. Being a JENGO on a Sqn is not that much fun.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
redhead I know a guy who transferred from the Coldstream Guards to NCA. Can I suggest that you contact the TCO at 55R sqn at RAF Cranwell and organise a visit to see the NCA training and opportunities open to you. They do a monthly visit on the last Thursday in every month. The WSOp guys on the Nimrod have had their training stopped for about 18 months so you will end up as a WSOp Crewman. The NCA world are disparate for people, particularly in the SH world as they are hurting with sickies, bad backs, necks, knees etc.
As for Commissioning in the Engineering Branch, you end up as a Manager rather than a maintainer. Being a JENGO on a Sqn is not that much fun.

Correct but there are some very interesting EngO posts that arent any where near aircraft or airmen for that matter!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There was acoustic and EW NCA going through when I visited 55 in July so it must have been a fairly recent development [training ceased]...That said it's not really my focus these days...

You would be ideally suited to the crewmen role but it may well be out of the frying pan and into the fire with time away in theatre and jointery...Chances are you'll be getting riled by the same people you are now only wearing a RAF cap badge this time!

Feel free to ask questions about NCA...I'll do my best to stay objective!

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
I think you need to get down the careers office (or on the website), get the brochures, and have a better idea of which officer branch or NCA trades you're interested in, then you'll get more focussed feedback from peeps on here.

Crack on then!

R

redheadkev

Thanks for the advice guys,
Think I'll be looking at WSOp Crewman or Engineering Officer (AS).
What are the RAFs terms of service with regards your pension point (i.e 22 years, 12 years?).
Realise it may be out of the frying pan etc but the RAF guys I worked with in Afghan last year were nothing but proffessional, something that interests me as most guys in my Corps are thouroughly ****ed off and de-motivated!
Also can anyone give me any info on what a Flight Ops Officer does? Is it an interesting job? Not much info on the RAF Careers website
Thanks again

F

Flaps100

what a Flight Ops Officer does?

Sit around all day achieving the square root of fukc all.

Is it an interesting job?

No.

Not much info on the RAF Careers website

Doesn't that tell you something?

Seriously stick with your choices and you won't go far wrong. Many NCA took Commissions in the Ops Support Branch when it first started. They were all promised that they would be Wing Commanders by next Thursday in this wonderful new job. The reality was much different. They get paid less than NCA, and have a crap job.

P

philarmy

I hope you guys don't think I'm hijacking the thread but I am doing something similar in transferring from the Army to NCA but going down the linguist route. I passed my filter interview last week and I am now waiting for a date for the OASC.

I have some notes scribbled down about the training and I was hoping you could give me a bit more background info on what's involved.

My understanding is:

7 weeks basic military training @ Halton

Probably won't apply to transferees.

10 weeks NCA training @ Cranwell

Civvy to A/Sgt in 10 weeks!! Learn lots of leadership related stuff, lots of classroom and practical stuff including a couple of stints doing command tasks etc at Otterburn. Also defence writing, military law etc etc.

26 weeks @ Cranwell

Basic aircrew training - survival training, including sea survival, aviation medical training, including pressure chamber /gyro training etc at RAF Henlow. Basic airmanship, including flight planning, weather, navigational charts etc. Comms training, including radio exercises and several sorties flying as radio op on a Dominie. Flying training, including aircraft systems and several sorties (effectively) flying as a co-pilot on a Dominie.

15 months language training @ DSL Beaconsfield

Speaks for itself. Currently I understand Pashto is in vogue whether you like it or not. Not you though, Kev.

Posted (or 'assigned') to Waddington

Linguists spend a further 10 months doing further applied training in order to learn how to use language skills, operating various systems, safety eqpt etc.

Not sure where other WSOps are 'assigned' but I imagine rather more widely than linguists are.

I am sure I have missed an awful lot out there and would be grateful if someone could fill in the blanks (where opsec allows). I was told that I may be asked about what the training involves whilst at OASC so any useful info would be apprecaited, either on here or by PM.

Finally, am I right in believing that transferees don't have to go through basic training all over again. I mean, really, I can still iron my kit, pack my bergen, salute, shoot, blah, blah, blah...

Visits to Cranwell can be arranged for the last Thu of every month (good idea!)

Last edited: