• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Application "on hold"

TSG1

LAC
So after taking nine months to get to the point of starting PRTC I get a phone call to say that my application to join is now on hold owing to the fact my trade choice is full and there are no longer any vacancies.

No explanation of how long I might be on hold.

Am now seriously considering jacking it, trade choice was driver.

All seems pretty inept.

Anyone with any useful info on timescales for future vacancies most welcome.

Thanks guys.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
While I appreciate that this is a setback and that it may have an influence on your current lifestyle and work, it is only that - a setback. After having spent 9 months on the recruiting process, to say that you are "seriously considering jacking it" would not be a character trait recommended if you do get in. My application to join took over a year - I had to wait around 4 months from initial interview to final interview and in the interim heard nothing from the Careers Office - and that was back in 1989!

These things happen - but I think it is an ideal time to ask if you really are keen to join up; Service life will be full of "hurry up and wait" moments like this - ask yourself is this really the career you want? If it is, have you considered any other trade?

TSG1

LAC
Thanks for the reply Kryten and the advice much appreciated.Guess I was a bit angry when I wrote the post and your right it's worth waiting for.Trouble is you kind of put your life on hold a bit waiting for stuff to happen then the recruitment process is pretty poor at communicating.Will crack on with things and see what happens.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Thanks for the reply Kryten and the advice much appreciated.Guess I was a bit angry when I wrote the post and your right it's worth waiting for.Trouble is you kind of put your life on hold a bit waiting for stuff to happen then the recruitment process is pretty poor at communicating.Will crack on with things and see what happens.

Hang in there, mate - it will be worth it in the end!!

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
After ym final interview in June 1988 i was told there was a 3 year wait for my trade - unless i wanted join up as a YTS entrant. After politely telling the guy to feck off I'll wait (i wasn't getting paid 1/3 of the wage of a regular for doing the same job), i left. 3 months later i had a phone call and i was at Swinditz 3 weeks later.

Depending on the trade / job there have always been waiting lists. If it's what you want to do you'll wait for the opportunity. If not you'll move on and find something else.

TSG1, have you thought of alternate trades as Kryten suggested. There is more than 1 road into the Air Force.

Why do you want to become a driver? Why not Engineer? Or Intelligence? If you want to join the Air Force because it offers something that the Navy/Army doesnt, there is potential to select another trade and once you're at Halton, seek advice on changing.
Don't give up hope on getting in, there may be a letter on the way to your house now with your report for duty date at RAF Halton.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
If you're considering changing Trades, you need to speak with your recruiter ASAP, as it's not quite as simple as 'actually, I'd like to be X instead of Y...'

Don't be disheartened, it happens. Just take it on the chin and carry on.