• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone taken in any Ukrainians?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just wondered?

Hearing from an associate over the weekend, they were dead set on taking in a mother and her daughter, but red tape and finances got in the way...

First off if the kid is 14+ they have to have their own room (they could be sleeping in a shell hole or dirty train station right now but whatever)
Secondly the person I know was expected to pay for their airfare over
Thirdly, someone they knew had already taken some in, and then spent £1k in clothing and shoeing them, as they arrived with the clothes they were in.

Seems a bit extreme to, after you've opened your home up to absolute strangers, be expected to bankrupt yourself to achieve the good deed?

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
For 3 it sounds like £1K was personal choice although I stand to be corrected?!!! I would have no qualms doing the same and I'm sure most on here would if they had the readies!!

For 1... Even if they are sleeping on a couch in the short-term as long as they are safe IMHO. Things can be sorted medium to long term with the long-term plan to get them assisting and moving them to their own place.

2. Govt: We want you to take in a few refugees. Public: Count me in and I will help!! Govt: Ok just fill in these 1000 forms and pay for their air fares over. THX!!! Public: ?????????? Eh!!!!

In typical fashion The British bureaucracy system slows things down rather than speed up the processes with such rubbish.

We always find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot with bureaucracy.

Examples:

Aircraft squadron personnel and deployed support elements ... Deploy to Cyprus and get set for humanitarian operations over Syria. Oh...Need to pay for your own meals and claim back on JPA!! THX!!

Pandemic... We need as many retired Drs and Nurses as we can get to come back. Oh... 1000 forms and online training to tick all the boxes you don't need.. THX!!!

fourteen2two

Corporal
Come over in a rubber boat, no papers then get picked up by border force or RNLI. Off to a hotel courtesy of the taxpayer.🤬
Might get a long holiday in Rwanda later?
My wife is a retired senior nurse. She was going to be a volunteer vaccinator but the amount of form filling and pointless online training made her decide against it.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I wouldn’t but i have donated some clothing to a local resident who has.

Must admit our local weekly market square evening stand in solidarity group has shrunk a little of late.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For 3 it sounds like £1K was personal choice although I stand to be corrected?!!! I would have no qualms doing the same and I'm sure most on here would if they had the readies!!
The family they welcomed had nothing, and there is no grant available, only the monthly allowance, so I believe they felt they had to help them out (dignity/self esteem etc).

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Come over in a rubber boat, no papers then get picked up by border force or RNLI. Off to a hotel courtesy of the taxpayer.🤬
Might get a long holiday in Rwanda later?
My wife is a retired senior nurse. She was going to be a volunteer vaccinator but the amount of form filling and pointless online training made her decide against it.
Wife was going to be an usher during the height of C19. Q: Are you willing to give CPR. A: I'm surrounded by Nurses what do you think.