• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone still get the naafi wagon round in a morning?

G

grumpyoldb

These used to be the cure for many a liney's hangover in the morning. Stuck out on a limb away from the squadron t-bar, a cuppa and a bacon butty, or corned beef and raw onion sarnie or even a greasy pork pie was welcome to soak up some of the excess alcohol from the previous evening.

Do they still exist, or are they now confined to cold war folklore?

riggrrrr

SAC
It still exists at Culdrose as a 'Shore To You' service run by Sodexo. Environmentally friendly as well, the wagon is electric!

Alas, not in the traditional sense of late. There is a contracted out ISS-supplied 'wagon' that does the rounds about a secret ISTAR base in Linconshire that got rid of a good mobile greasy spoon when I was there locally known as 'Melons' (nothing to do with boobs, I'm afraid readers)

Although good, Melons was probably introduced some years back again when the traditional Gaddafi Wagon that cut about Waddo - another sad minor example of our traditions long gone!

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
At the secret west midlands training base following the arrival of "save as you starve Ltd" the old SIF van is currently up for sale. Got to be 15 years at least since I last saw a pucka NAAFI van.

Although static, Pegs at a secret recruit base in Bucks. I'm pretty sure alot's been stated on other threads before but the wagon did not need to come to you - you always found your way to it.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ah Pegs a subject that has been worthy of a few respectful threads within the hallowed portals of the goat and a level of eminently edible, sans booze, cusine that rises above even that of the revered early morning post booze NAAFI van. Pegs an institution that's kept body and soul together since Trenchard was in short trousers.

Who?

SNCO Odds and Sods
Halton also has a jiffy wagon that travels around camp selling sandwiches and the such.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Ah Pegs a subject that has been worthy of a few respectful threads within the hallowed portals of the goat and a level of eminently edible, sans booze, cusine that rises above even that of the revered early morning post booze NAAFI van. Pegs an institution that's kept body and soul together since Trenchard was in short trousers.

She wasn't there when I went through Halton, it was the old NAAFI wagon.

Not a NAAFI provided wagon but during my time on a (dis)joint post, we had to do OPTAG at Lydd, Kent prior to touring AF and there was a bloke who provided brews and banjos from his Range Rover-pulled trailer kitchen. He probably made a small fortune owing to thousands of pongos that passed through over the years and Lydd not being touched by any CRL-type contract.

Nice private enterprise to get into I suppose but these also seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo due to establishments being tied to restrictive catering contracts.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Slightly off topic but still sort of relevant - At the office I work at in Newark - we used to have a butty wagon that would pop in and flog really good quality butties and hot pies and the likes. It was banned off site, apparently for health and safety reasons (someone might get knocked down in the car park running to get a prawn salad roll...) - it now parks in one of the junctions just across the road, and still does a roaring trade... Wasn't long after that the canteen here opened... funny that...