• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone at Seeb, or been there lately?

jack brew

Sergeant
I'm due to go soon, I was wondering if anyone had some helpful tips on what to take(be polite please!)

I'm going to be there aug to late sept. What are the day and night temperatures? Will I need to bring any softie jackets, etc?

Thanks in advance!

D

DrunkenMonki

You'll not need your softie! Foods good. Take a laptop.dvd player with you, there is a library there, but its not much cop. 5 minute drive to the shopping centre, has Maccy D's, Chillis, all that malarchy. Take your walking boots if you fancy an exped, the PTIs are good with regular trips out into the hills, fishing, diving and stuff. Bar is open 7:30 - 10:30, drink what you like, no two can rule. Hotels down town are good. Make sure you've got money, its worth enjoying it all while you can! have fun!

Oh, pos take pillows/duvet/sleeping bag, I was lucky, and got some. Otheres werent so lucky.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Take those issue shorts and plenty of issue t-shirts as well. Oh and dont turn into a dobber ****** when you get there like the rest of them.

I swear they take all the wankers from a wankers list and send them to seeb to make our lives a misery.

B

Biggsoir

Been a few years since I was in Seeb but it used to be quite a relaxed place and I never realy minded being there. Definiely one of the better DOB's

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I always thought it excessive to build the swimming pool with fun slides and fountains...At least after your swim you could top your day off with a delicious meal from one of the many a la carte bistro's and restaurants scattered throughout the DOB...

Jackbrew...don't forget some smart clothes for the evening...Nimdobs have dress standards you know..

I spent a year working for the RAFO a little while back. I do not know what you facilities are like but they sound good. Try to get an exped out to Wadi Shab and Tiwi.
Here is an example of what its like:

http://www.hansrossel.com/fotos/fotografie/oman/om_s2.htm

The sink hole there is quite stunning.

If you get w/e off try and get a few 4x4s and someone who knows the area and spend a w/e out on one of the many beaches through the hills, a long drive but worth it.

If you want to see how the other half live drive out to the Al Bustan hotel, the other side of Muttrah. Afternoon tea is worth it. There is a couple of good beaches there as well. Last I saw there was a diving school in the bay along from the hotel.

You could always have a touch of the Beau geste in Wahiba sands as well.

If you know anyone working for RAFO perhaps you could get a invite for a game of darts etc on Mam camp (RAFO MOD and VT aerospace accom - cheap beer).

Hill walking is an art out there. Loads of good trails. That time of the year is BBQ time, temps are around the high 20s/low 30s and a little humid but nowhere near the 40+ you get in June/July.

Enjoy it, the Omans are friendly people.

E

enginesuck

The Al bustan is closed for a one year refurbishment ! Always thought it could do with a lick of paint! There is always the Shangri la just up the coast from the dive centre, true paradise ! They even let me stay there for a few days.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
true paradise ! They even let me stay there for a few days.

Hehhehehe you just had to get that one in didnt ya :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Not much of a 6 star though , do like it when they fold yer bed at night with slippers and water by the bed :pDT_Xtremez_26:

jack brew

Sergeant
Just back, loved the Hyatt, the first time I've been to an underwater boozer!

gallery_21.jpg

Underneath the two waterfalls.

D

DrunkenMonki

You have the long island ice teas? awesome to get wrecked on! Tip the jingly behibd the bar well, and you can be legless off 4 of them. weeeell nice birds there too, pity they had to look at my carcas really! I'd be happy to go back again. All up and running after the hurricane in june now? It was knackered when i left!

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
I was there for 6 months in '03 and 4 months in '05 - IT WAS ACE!!!

Used to love bobbing off to the hotels on days off - the Dive Centre was great too AND I found an almost deserted beach down at the yacht club in Muttrah (watch out for the puffer fish tho - Eeeek!) Anyone else due to g out there???

:pDT_Xtremez_31:

tag_lincoln

Corporal
Well you've a few more weeks left of Ramadan so the hotels and food courts in the malls are closed or very limited. Finishes about Oct 10 so you wont have long to endure it before it all kicks off again.
After Ramadan is Eid Al Fitr which is kind of like Christmas, New Year rolled into one, make sure you hit the funfairs. Don't get too ****ed though the prison is self catering (well friends and family have to bring the food!!)

jack brew

Sergeant
Do you like curry? If not, you had better start liking it, the DAMAC boys in the mess are really good chefs but the menu tends to be a bit repetitive on the old Indian grub!!

PS, Ramadan ends 13th.

Last edited:

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
Mate, you'll have a great time! The DAMAC boys are indeed excellent, their food is ace and their currys are to die for!!!

Nosh-talk aside, get hold of an extra couple of laundry bags, some washing line & some pegs b4 you go... The laundry service is good, but you'll go through uniform like sh1t through a goose! Not only is it HOT, but humidity can reach 98 degrees...

Sweat-on.com!

Relax though, you'll have a great time!

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Just going back to the food , the currys are nice but you soon get bored a Korma and a vindaloo are exactley the same near end of det just depending on how many green chillies ya put on them , i do recommend a great turkish restraunt (spelling mistake i think ) restraunt !!! nah still looks the same :/ anyway a great turkish place just up the road near Marks and Spencers , just outside , top food , 2 quid for a 3 course meal

cant miss it !!

enjoy its deffo the pick of the 4 monthers id say , but dont become a dobber ****** , us NLS people hate dobber wankers !!! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
Just going back to the food , the currys are nice but you soon get bored a Korma and a vindaloo are exactley the same near end of det just depending on how many green chillies ya put on them , i do recommend a great turkish restraunt (spelling mistake i think ) restraunt !!! nah still looks the same :/ anyway a great turkish place just up the road near Marks and Spencers , just outside , top food , 2 quid for a 3 course meal

cant miss it !!

enjoy its deffo the pick of the 4 monthers id say , but dont become a dobber ****** , us NLS people hate dobber wankers !!! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Forgive me...

What's a Dobber?

Incidentally, there's a good Greek restaurant right near the camp too - drive out of the gate (you have to turn right onto the bypass), at the hoooge roundabout, come back on yourself, past the gate and go straight ahead at the next roundabout then take the first right. Drive behind the row of shops and there it is!

AND, upstairs is this bizarre 'club' where 'ladies' (wearing very little), bellydance on stage and are awarded these dodgy flower necklaces by willing punters who want to vote for their individual performance. It's always packed with Omani blokesand is like a lap dance bar without the boobies (or the laps...) - Great for a chuckle tho! We went in there with some of the lasses from the DOB & they had a great time... Probably...

:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Forgive me...

What's a Dobber?

Dobber:

Someone who has obviously not previously spent enough time on OOA to qualify for a DWR credit and therefore has to go on a 4 month OOA det.

Once in theatre their remit is to become lazy useless moaning smart arsed funkers whose sole job is to make the Sqn personnels life as hard as possible

During their OOA time they are to spend as little time as possible supporting the aircraft and personnel there to do the important job of flying aircraft and spend as much time:
by the pool
feathering their own nests for a nice end of OOA report
filling the hire car they have each with only one person per trip
oh and of course
moaning about the very Sqn guys they are there to support.

Common Dobber sayings:

Quote 1: It all right for you, you are here for 2 months, I am here for 4.
Answer: Yes but you only do this once every X years, we do this at least once a year and are back time and time again.

Quote 2: Sorry we don't have enough hire cars for you.
Answer: Read - sorry we don't have enough hire cars for us dobbers to have one each strapped to our arses so why should you get a wagon to move stuff out to the jet.

Quote 3: I am busy you'll have to come back tomorrow
Answer: Why's that, you only work a two day week as it is you lazy fukcers!

Quote 4: We are not here to support the Sqns.
Answer: Well if thats the case then what the fukc are you here to do, if the Sqn wasn't here you wouldn't be here so wisen up you pr1cks.

Sorry if I have missed anything but I hope that clears a few points on what the definition of a dobber is.
Oh and BTW this experience has been earned from 14 OOA dets to places such as Bahrain, Ali Al Salem, Dhaharan, Al Kharj, Incrilik, Seeb, Basrah, Al Udied etc etc so I think I am more than qualified to comment.