• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any of this sound familiar?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
From the BBC....

A police officer has published a damning resignation letter on social media criticising police for "putting their employees last". Laura Beal has served with the Devon and Cornwall force for 13 years as a police constable and even featured in a force advertising campaign. In her letter she says inadequate staffing has made it "impossible to do her job to the best of her ability". It comes as inspectors warn police cuts are putting the public at risk.

Speaking to the BBC, Ms Beal said she was prompted to put her resignation letter on Facebook after her sergeant told her it was unlikely to be seen by the Chief Constable, Shaun Sawyer. She said she followed her father into the police when she was 19 and had always been proud to say she was a PC, but now felt "embarrassed at the way everyone is being treated".

In her letter she claims she was expected to go on patrol covering Mid Devon with one other officer most days.
"This is meant to be adequate and safe. How this can be acceptable is beyond belief," she wrote. Ms Beal's resignation comes as the police standards watchdog warned some forces are putting the public at risk by rationing responses as they struggle with cutbacks. Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary said some forces had "downgraded" 999 calls, in order to justify responding to them more slowly.Its report found most of the 43 forces in England and Wales were providing a good service. But that others have let victims down.

Ms Beale said the job had left her suffering from stress and anxiety. "Your staff are not coping, and are suffering because there is no one looking out for them. "Front line response is where you need to focus your time and money. This is where the buck stops," she added.

Ch Supt Jim Colwell said: "I would like to formally thank PC Beal for her loyal service, hearing of an officer resigning is sad, particularly when this is done so publicly. "We do hear concerns from officers and staff and recognise where they are feeling the strain. "Being a police officer is not easy. It requires skills and personal resilience which are often unique to the role. We are a supportive force and will always assist an officer needing help or guidance."
Last month Devon and Cornwall Police announced it would be employing nearly 100 additional police officers into local policing in an effort to relieve pressure on frontline staff.

Any of this sound familiar? The emboldened bit is the same typical patronising b0ll0cks response you'd expect from a senior military officer forced to make the same kind of statement. What he of course means is that he's p1ssed off that their failings and shortcomings are being so publically exposed. The ridiculous thing is that senior personnel in all branches of the public services genuinely do seem to think that they are doing their best to support their troops when the opposite is quite often the case. Going to your line manager to report frustrations that you can't do your job properly, or that standards are being eroded and being met with the response 'well you want to have had the morning I've just gone through' kind of makes you wonder why the fcuk you bother at all.

Emergency services on their knees. NHS crying out for help (and getting it from The Red Cross!). Councils looking to hike taxes. Armed Forces at their lowest numbers for decades. National debt still climbing at an incredible rate.

But austerity is working, right guys? Right?

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Putting employees last. Expecting them to do more with fewer staff and other resources. Eroding standards.It's not just public services, I'm afraid it's everywhere.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Last month Devon and Cornwall Police announced it would be employing nearly 100 additional police officers into local policing in an effort to relieve pressure on frontline staff.

How many of these are Special Constables?

FOMz

Warrant Officer

How many of these are Special Constables?

More importantly.. over what period of time? And over that period of time how many officers are due to retire or plan to leave...?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
More importantly.. over what period of time? And over that period of time how many officers are due to retire or plan to leave...?

Says additional not new.

Wouldn't have thought they'd have a problem recruiting down there as apart from a few hot spots, Plymouth, it's a bit of a back water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocket scientist

Sergeant
"In her letter she claims she was expected to go on patrol covering Mid Devon with one other officer most days"

Does this mean the whole of Mid Devon was only covered by her and another officer most days or is she complaining that she was only on her particular patrol as a pair and not more officers?

I suspect it's the former but I only ever see one policeman on patrol in our little backwater and he's not full time.

The government can introduce all the laws and stricter penalties they want (eg mobile phones whilst driving) but if there's nobody to enforce it......

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
The local police station to me has on most days about 5/6 police cars parked up and occasionally one will drive out, I have only seen one or two police officers in the village in the last 10 years and they were just shopping, we had PCSO's who would walk around in pairs but they seemed to have disappeared a few years ago, like others have said you can increase the fines etc, but if there is no-one to enforce them it is pointless.

I saw the new initiative where they use the uniformed officials to catch these offenders:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4170068/Radical-shake-traffic-policing.html

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Says additional not new.

Wouldn't have thought they'd have a problem recruiting down there as apart from a few hot spots, Plymouth, it's a bit of a back water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1000's apply for each slot. People watch Doc Martin et al then think its going to be the same...Truth is there are a lot of mentalists down here...they seem to flock to the seaside. Bloke got stabbed in the neck middle of the day in Truro yesterday by a suspected member of a bunch of homeless who have started to live in a multi-story in the middle of town.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
My best mate knows her and has worked with her. Says she was a really good lass, great at her job and very good dealing with victims. What he has told me about his job is exactly what she has said. He was not so long ago was part of a team consisting of 1 sgt an 9 officers that was covering 700 square miles of mid and east Devon. He was acting sgt as the substansive sgt was off with stress and anxiety. Other staff off with the same. He got turned down on his sgt board, despite being acting for on and off for years. The day after he got the news he didn't get promoted he got asked to cover for that sgt that was off. Just like the RAF people who are new and or incompetent somehow get promoted. The police is absolutely f*cked.

He used to work north Devon. Most of the time he was on his own and his back up was over 20-30 mins away!

And some bright spark has decided that now you need to have a degree to join the police.

matkat

SAC
Not as many as you'd think post Windsor reforms.

For the money and T&C's I certainly wouldn't join as a new student officer now.

I went to school with the said Mr Windsor, my mate's greatest claim to fame is that he decked Sir Tommy on a couple of occasions he was the type you never tired of smacking didn't help his cause driving around Dundee when he was 18 in Daddy's Rolls Royce.