• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anti-cartoon protests

fatbaldchief

Corporal
I could not find any reference on any forum with regards to the protests against the cartoons featuring the Prophet Mohammed and apologise if this thread has been started somewhere else.

I think that if people are offended by anything, or it has gone against their beliefs they are quite within their right to protest their objection.

Reasoned protest is quite justified but the level of violence and the reaction from various factions around the world has gone beyond what any rational person would call 'reasoned protest'.

How anyone can be allowed to carry a placard demanding bombings and beheadings whilst dressed as a suicide bomber on the streets of London is beyond me. Incitement to riot, promotion of racial hatred call it what you want, it is just wrong. As for the individual coming on TV to give a public apology he was lucky he hadn't been gunned down in the street as a prospective threat to innocent life.

The recent publishing in Europe of cartoons featuring Hitler and Anne Frank to try and approach the angle of taboo in various cultures blatantly illustrates that all the worlds different cultures have religious or historical taboos.

To live alongside one another we need to respect each other's cultures and taboos and to ultimately do what is right.
By all means protest if you feel you have been wronged, that is Freedom of Speech, but that protest has to be reasoned, justifed, peaceful and appropriate.
If it is not, you will not further your cause you will damage it.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

IMHO the riots and violence in protest only served to reinforce the views allegedly being expressed by the cartoons (although I haven't actually seen them).

B

Beerofund

Respect My A**e!

Respect My A**e!

Notwithstanding the argument for free speech (which a very different topic) this whole very sad episode just shows the lack of respect certain rogue elements of our multicultural society have for this country. The one who dressed as a bomber has a string of offences for drugs and the like – good job he’s back behind bars now

If the disaffected elements don’t like what our society, country and government stand for then there’s plenty of aircraft leave this country every day they could get on – our multicultural society will be better for it.

Last edited:

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
As controversial as this may sound, if these people want to live in a muslim country where muslim laws are adhered to, they can get on one of the afore said aircraft out of here. However if they want to live in a secular society where the majority of its people are christian or some derivative, with free speech, human rights and all the other good things about living in the west, they can respect our rules.
They are entitled to get upset when their religious beliefs are satirised, but to demand the death of someone because they were offended by a cartoon strip is just plain out of order.

Have also just heard the drug dealing muppet in the suicide jacket has just been sent back to jail, should give him enough time to dwell on the errors of his ways.:pDT_Xtremez_32:

T

The Ballerina

All i can say is where was the police snipers. If ever there was a case for proving a point and saying to people we respect your right to protest but dont fu@k us about. I would of liked to see him walk down the street of an American city dressed like that. We are far too soft.

Chaka

Sergeant
where was the police snipers

If the drug dealing suicide dressing muppet had been wearing a Brazil top and carry a rucksack, you might have seen them!

How can you allow people to walk thru' our Capital carrying placards with 'Down with the UK'? I am all for free speech, but as The Ballerina has just said, we are far too soft!:mad:

C

Cat of Shadows

Plumber said:
Have also just heard the drug dealing muppet in the suicide jacket has just been sent back to jail, should give him enough time to dwell on the errors of his ways.:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Trouble is though Plumber it won't. All that it is likely to do is further entrench him with the apparent lack of social judgement and belligerance that he has already displayed.

B

Bluntend

I'm not sure whether this is really on thread or not but did anybody see that 'Route of all Evil?' documentary a few weeks ago. I can't remember the name of the guy who put it together but you've got to admire his guts. Going into the American bible belt and questioning the head of the US Evangelical church on creationism? Debating capitalist values with an agressive british ex-pat muslim now living in palastine? It was refreshing to see someone challenging these religious extremists face to face. In light of the protests in London (and across the world) I can't help but agree that without religion the world would be a nicer place, although half of us would probably be out of a job.

As for the views that we should deport violent anti-british muslims to Islamic states, I am all in favour. Perhaps living in Iran or Saudi Arabia for a while might teach them a thing or two about the real value of freedom of speach.

Last edited:
A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Bluntend said:
I can't help but agree that without religion the world would be a nicer place, although half of us would probably be out of a job.

Why? are half of us Vicars?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Y

You Can Call Me Al

Interesting to note that said protester (since put back inside) is a convicted drug dealer - yet a 'fervent' Muslim!

PS - note the cutting manner in which Clingfilm's input was ignored!!

B

Bluntend

Ok, I'll bite.

Ok, I'll bite.

A CLING NERD SHRON said:
Why? are half of us Vicars?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

No, more than half of us are actually in the military.

You don’t need a PhD in Theology to understand that a high proportion of wars, since records began, have been fought between countries and indeed within countries because of opposing religious ideals. My logic, flawed though it may well be, is that by removing religion from the equation, you would remove the conflicts that would otherwise have been caused by religion.

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

I am not so sure it is as simple as you put it. People are still going to find a reason to fight each other.

T

Twonston Pickle

Cling has a point but makes it in his usual "rub-you-up-the-wrong-way" approach! Religion is just used as a convenient excuse for people already pre-disposed to violence. Take away the religion and it becomes some other reason such as animal rights, anti-capitalism, football etc. It is in mans nature to be violent for some reason. I think our jobs might be safe (despite Labour's efforts) for some time to come.