• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allowances question

B

Bizjetter

Hello everyone, not sure if this is in the right section (admin please move if it isn't!).

I am considering joining the RAF (Personnel Support) but I am near the top of the age range at 34. I have a mortgage, wife and child.

The new recruit pay is going to be really tough, though this will get better I suppose after trade training. Even still, with my commitments every penny will count.

What sort of benefits/ financial allowances are given if any to new recruits on first posting in UK?

Please don't think I am being a money grabber or anything, I just wanted to know the full story before committing!

Thanks

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Hello everyone, not sure if this is in the right section (admin please move if it isn't!).

I am considering joining the RAF (Personnel Support) but I am near the top of the age range at 34. I have a mortgage, wife and child.

The new recruit pay is going to be really tough, though this will get better I suppose after trade training. Even still, with my commitments every penny will count.

What sort of benefits/ financial allowances are given if any to new recruits on first posting in UK?

Please don't think I am being a money grabber or anything, I just wanted to know the full story before committing!

Thanks

You won't get anything from the RAF other than your wages, they don't care if you are 18 and single or a married bloke with commitments, pay is on fixed scales.

Look at Working Tax Credits and such, it is available to you in the RAF just as it is available to Civvies on a low income.

B

Bizjetter

Hi

I didn't mean benefits as in state benefits, more like travel allowance? Reading the post looks a bit cr@p sorry! Ive never had any benefits in my life....

Perhaps I'll look into tax credits....

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Hi

I didn't mean benefits as in state benefits, more like travel allowance? Reading the post looks a bit cr@p sorry! Ive never had any benefits in my life....

Perhaps I'll look into tax credits....

I know what you meant mate, and my reply stands, new recruits do get a few warrants to get home to mummy, but with your age, you get nowt once you are out of training.

If you keep your house as your main residence and have to live in at your new posting, you should get some GYH (get you home) travel and should you live close enough to commute you can get HTD (Home to Duty)

Not sure on the food and accommodation charges for married livers in any more, you may still get it cheaper? Somebody in that situation will be able to fill you in better.

B

Bizjetter

Makes more sense cheers! That's what I meant, if I happened to be within commutable distance, help towards fuel would be a big help.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
For married persons living in Single Accomodation, there is no charge for accomodation. Food charges are same as for single persons. If at a 'pay as you dine' unit you can choose to starve!

Do bear in mind that pay rises for the next to years are likely to be capped but you will still receive annual increments.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
But don't forget to subtract mess bills - these are overlooked in the marketing blurb and can rack up, expecially in training where "bonding" functions can get a little costly.

clungemobile

Corporal
I know what you meant mate, and my reply stands, new recruits do get a few warrants to get home to mummy, but with your age, you get nowt once you are out of training.

If you keep your house as your main residence and have to live in at your new posting, you should get some GYH (get you home) travel and should you live close enough to commute you can get HTD (Home to Duty)

Not sure on the food and accommodation charges for married livers in any more, you may still get it cheaper? Somebody in that situation will be able to fill you in better.

I think it is for the first 3 years of their service that they get these warrants.

You can also claim for your initial journey to Halton

good luck

B

Bizjetter

Many thanks everyone.

My wife has concerns about 6 months of me seeing her and toddler only on weekends.... No way of avoiding this!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Many thanks everyone.

My wife has concerns about 6 months of me seeing her and toddler only on weekends.... No way of avoiding this!
That is military life.

Wait until you start going 'Out of Area' for months at a time.