• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allowances on Posting Urgent help Needed

Yandards

LAC
Hallo,

I got thrown a bit of a dilema yesterday when I was asked if I wanted a posting from Lossie down to Brize on 216.

Aside from the fact I have only been in post for just over a year I have been unable to get hold of any admin/allowances types to let me know what the deal is going to be with allowances so I was hoping the goat would come up trumps.

Despite reading through most of the JSP 375 this afternoon I am still a bit confused. So can I do the following and what do I get?

I am single as far the service is concerned, although I could well get married if we need to (just not got around to it yet) own a private home that I am currently living in and going to work from daily.

I am looking at moving into the block on posting, the way I read the info is that I should be entitled to free accomodation, abated food is dead by my posting date so that would be a full food charge and Get You Home to check on my house at appropriate mileage rate. My missus would be staying in the house until we find somewhere to live down south.

I will start house hunting on arrival at Brize, but how easy is it to get the extension of 6 months past the original 6 months these days for the refund of legal fees? I know that the rate of DA will be based on the type of accomodation I expect to occupy for the majority of my posting which will be privately owned.

So is this correct based on my current circumstances?

Thanks in advance

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
OK, lots of questions in there.

Refund of legal fees (purchase & sale): In most circumstances, you have to be buying and selling as a result of a posting, so no problem there. The limit on the claim is still capped at £5000, which doesn't quite cover the average cost of a move. Extension beyond 6 months to 12 months can be authorised locally (OC PMS, usually). Further extensions are approved by Command and you have to provide evidence that you have been actively attempting to sell your house in Scotland.

If you let your house out you could also claim the legal fees associated with setting up the tenancy agreement. This doesn't sound like an option for you.

Disturbance allowance: Not sure of the rate for a singly moving between private homes, but you will be entitled to claim 30 days ahead of your move into your own home near Brize.

You can get free single accommodation at Brize if you have a continuing mortgage commitment, so again no problem. Even if the food charge was not changing, you would pay full food charges.

I must confess, I thought the Get You Home (Stability Assistance) - to make sure your own home is still standing, etc. - went out with the introduction of JPA. I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will soon correct me if I am.

Have you had a look at house prices around Brize? I imagine it's quite a hike from the value of the house you presently own. Only you will know if affordability is an issue.

Hope this helps

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
No allowances expert but you've just about got it right as far as I understand it. The DA is based on the accommodation you will occupy for the majority of your tour; therefore if you move into the block, with the intention of occupying your own home eventually, you can claim the full DA.

GYH (SA) or whatever it's called now, still exists but you still need to be paying the council tax at that property which you will be so no probs until you sell. If your missus is staying at Lossie to start with, I think you can claim GYH(M) for your weekend trips home (certainly if you're married, not quite so sure in your case) - need to check the JSP 752 for allowances. As I say, I'm no expert on allowances but can have a look on Monday for you if you haven't got a decent answer before then.

PSF Angel

LAC
You CAN get GYH(M) for your property up here throughout your tour at Brize. It will be a massive chuck of cash but as soon as you move you can get the full rate of DA which is 1100 and odd pounds so long as you do it within the first 6 months of assignment. Just make sure you don't try and claim for singly DA or your private accom rate will be void. You will also get mileage allowance from unit on posting. If you don't intend to move from your home at ISL you'll only get the singly rate of DA but you'll still get GYH(M) for the whole time you pay for council tax at the property. Hope this helps.

A

Albert Park

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I thought I'd take the opportunity to asked a question related to allowances and change of assignment.

Last May I was promoted and given a new assignment on the same station. As I was expecting this to be my last posting (assignment), and as I am currently in AMQs, I began house-hunting and reserved a new property in June. The house is still being built, ready for inspection 4 Jun 07. Do I qualify for any allowances? A few people reckon I do but I have had a look at the JSP, which to me, is unclear but I don't hold out much hope.

Any help would be appreciated.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Not a thing, I'm afraid. You have to be posted to a new duty station, and have to move house as a result of that posting, i.e., it is more than 50 miles away to be entitled to relocation allowances.

A

Albert Park

Not a thing, I'm afraid. You have to be posted to a new duty station, and have to move house as a result of that posting, i.e., it is more than 50 miles away to be entitled to relocation allowances.

Thanks for clearing that up.

N

Noodle

I got 2 days notice to move to Brize, it all baffled me so much I never claimed a thing

Humble Scribe

Sergeant

You're right about the relocation package, but if AP's new house is more than 9 miles from his unit, I'm sure he can claim RILOR for the daily travelling. This is not reliant on a posting (assignment) anymore.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
I've got a few questions on this subject. I was posted to a Joint Service unit that does most of its work on the road and living in hotals. Hence I've decided to Lodge with family 30 miles away instead of get a room in the Mess in at my parent Unit which I only intend to be at when not on the road. I've also got my own house about 100 miles away which I go back to on weekends. I'm I intitled to GYM(SA). (I am paying council tax).

A

Albert Park

You're right about the relocation package, but if AP's new house is more than 9 miles from his unit, I'm sure he can claim RILOR for the daily travelling. This is not reliant on a posting (assignment) anymore.

Humble Scribe, cheers for your input. I was half-expecting something in the way of HTD or RILOR or whatever the hell it's called. The new property is in excess of 9 miles. Thanks again.

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
I've got a few questions on this subject. I was posted to a Joint Service unit that does most of its work on the road and living in hotals. Hence I've decided to Lodge with family 30 miles away instead of get a room in the Mess in at my parent Unit which I only intend to be at when not on the road. I've also got my own house about 100 miles away which I go back to on weekends. I'm I intitled to GYM(SA). (I am paying council tax).

Yes you will get the GYH(SA) (although I'm not convinced that's what it's called anymore). You should also be able to claim RILOR too for the trips you make to work from your lodgings; check with allowances though as it depends how often a month you travel to work.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Yes you will get the GYH(SA) (although I'm not convinced that's what it's called anymore). You should also be able to claim RILOR too for the trips you make to work from your lodgings; check with allowances though as it depends how often a month you travel to work.

If it's fewer than 15 months per month on average (leave is not a consideration) then MAINJAFAD has to submit a manual claim for the journeys actually undertaken each month. We had to do this recently for one of our guys who was reduced to part time work while recovering from a heart attack.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
If it's fewer than 15 months per month on average (leave is not a consideration) then MAINJAFAD has to submit a manual claim for the journeys actually undertaken each month. We had to do this recently for one of our guys who was reduced to part time work while recovering from a heart attack.

From what my timetable looks like over the next year, I guessed that would be the case, not a problem, as long as I get the milage for what I do have drive. Cheers guys

Kim Wipe

Corporal
Spoke to our admin fellow the other day. If you are moving from your own premises to a new premises you own the average DA is £1,600.

When it comes to being posted you can't fault the RAF in helping you financially and giving you the req'd advice, especially if you own your own property.

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Spoke to our admin fellow the other day. If you are moving from your own premises to a new premises you own the average DA is £1,600.

When it comes to being posted you can't fault the RAF in helping you financially and giving you the req'd advice, especially if you own your own property.

Wef 1 Apr 07, the rate of DA for a move into Privately owned property has reduced to £1116 from £1650 - Sorry!