• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allottment gen

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I am aware that some of us have allottments already so this could be handy forum for swapping hints and tips and also it seperate from general gardening questions. I have just taken over an allottment for the first time and it's brand new nothing but grass has been grown there for decades. Any gen on crop rotation, plot planning, useful websites, new crop ideas etc would be useful. I intend to use raised beds where ever possible and remain chemical free as much as I can. I have grown stuff at home for years with moderate success but this is a new project.

G

grumpyoldb

You lucky bu@@er. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

I've been after one for ages. I'm on 4 different waiting lists but it's like waiting for dead mens shoes. I rang one of the secretary's today and he's got a waiting list of over 500. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Good luck with it. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You lucky bu@@er. :pDT_Xtremez_31:I've been after one for ages.

My allottment is on camp, a group of like minded people asked if it could be done and the station management said yes. Some land was allocated and so this year an allottment group has been formed and it's up and running. To get one via the local council well I probably won't live that long last I heard the waiting list was around 10 years.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I had to wait a day to be given the choice of several all over Lincoln 2 years ago...Now it sounds a bit like you guys describe...sign of the reccesionary times I guess...

Join this site and spend weeks reading all the gen in the forums....

G

grumpyoldb

That's a good link Vim.
One of the waiting lists I'm on, I'm down to 9th. I just won't hold my breath.
The main problem in my area is that people seem to put their name on the waiting list years before they need them. Then when they do get a plot, they just pay the rent but do nothing with them.
I was on an allotment site this morning chatting to one of the plot holders, and he said that there were at least eight plots that were overgrown but because the rent was being paid nothing could be done about it.
It's just so wrong. If the plot isn't used for a year, it should be forfeited.

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
I was thinking about getting an allotment as I dont have a garden but after reading a these few posts it sounds like it might be harder than just making a phone call!! If I did put my name down and got one would I be ok as I am a total gardening 'virgin' the most amount of things I have grown and tended to is probably cress seeds in an eggshell!!

G

grumpyoldb

If you can get one, go for it. It's all about learning, and good exercise without paying gym membership. And healthy food. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

grumpyoldb

Grumpy got a call today from the local allotment chairman. I'm top of the list. Should be digging in a few weeks! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was thinking about getting an allotment as I dont have a garden but after reading a these few posts it sounds like it might be harder than just making a phone call!! If I did put my name down and got one would I be ok as I am a total gardening 'virgin' the most amount of things I have grown and tended to is probably cress seeds in an eggshell!!

Get one then sub-rent it out to one of these coffin-dodgers at a profit and 20% of all produce...

You'll need a big strong chap to initially dig it over but after that you should be able to cope as long as you like weeding...

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Spent a very pleasant couple of hours on the plot with the mini TB's this morning and we now have a raised bed ready for an Autumn planting of onions. :pDT_Xtremez_30:Any suggestions as to what else to plant this time of year?

G

grumpyoldb

TB, many thanks for starting this thread. It prompted me into digging a few allotment secretary's in the ribs, and I now have 250 square feet of allotment.
It's hardly Ponderosa but I reckon I can fill a couple of chest freezers from it.

Any idea's what to do with a sore back? :pDT_Xtremez_26:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
TB, many thanks for starting this thread. It prompted me into digging a few allotment secretary's in the ribs, and I now have 250 square feet of allotment.
It's hardly Ponderosa but I reckon I can fill a couple of chest freezers from it.

Any idea's what to do with a sore back? :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Make that 200 square feet of land after you've set up a shed, couple of chairs and a brazier/BBQ...and a wind-up radio capable of LW for the cricket in the summer...:pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

grumpyoldb

Make that 200 square feet of land after you've set up a shed, couple of chairs and a brazier/BBQ...and a wind-up radio capable of LW for the cricket in the summer...:pDT_Xtremez_14:

It'll have to be a big shed to store the slab's of Stella for the summer afternoons.................. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

grumpyoldb

Perhaps a deck chair and blanket is what you need for your allottment?

A seat and a slab is all that I need for my "allotment"............. Please note the spelling...................! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

grumpyoldb

You'd best "tell" Tinbasher as well then, it's spelldid that way in the title!:pDT_Xtremez_14:

OK, so I'm a Lancashire lad, and I have a whippet......................... No flat cap. sorry! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OK, so I'm a Lancashire lad, and I have a whippet......................... No flat cap. sorry! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Lancashire lad that'll be two of us then sadly no whippet or flat cap just yet grumpy. Apologies for the poor speeling of allotment Mr M. Sadly there will be no shed on my patch it's not allowed, only structures for growing plants permitted i.e. bean poles wigwams etc. Plot envy has started the guy next to me has got the most organised and tidy plot you could imagine. A place for everything and everything in it's place. Even his compost corner is tidy FFS.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Okay tried digging the plot today:S
It's very compacted soil it has taken over an hour to "dig" an area 3 feet by 2 feet to a depth of around 6 inches. Plenty of stones in the ground to, not irregular stuff like building spoil but nice round smooth pebbles about tennis ball size and smaller dozens and dozens of the blighters. I have a soil griddle to remove them from each spadeful dug but it's going to take a very long time. Manual labour and some hard graft would seem the only fool proof way of shifting them. I guess even a rotivator is going to struggle chomping through such a stony mix. Any tips??

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I hired out this bad-boy back in Feb to dig in 6" of manure into my plot...After some negotiation I got it for £40 for the day and I finished my 57 x 9m plot in under 3 hours so a half day would have done...It monstered the job.

As an aside there is a drag thing that you put down at the back which retards the machine...The more you drop it the deeper it digs as it works harder to pull itself along...If you lift it completely and do it when the soil is wet you can mud-ski behind it until your arms really ache by sitting back on your heels!

I felt it was a small price to pay to get the entire plot dug-in and turned over in a couple of hours...I would say that it was quite a physical activity so if you're feeling a bit ginger still then ask someone to operate it for you...

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just been to my local hire place ASLES to suss out renting a machine similar to the one in Vims link. As of now I'm hiring feck all from that bunch of smart @rse gits. Do they have rotivators that will do the job? Certainly sir in stock right now but you can't hire one. They will only hire to "professional horticulturists or landscape gardeners" seems allotment holders aren't skilled enough to handle a rotivator they might according to the chap in the shop have an unfortunate accident like chop a foot off etc. He will however let me hire a small tiller that would "suit my needs better" how about feck off I'll take my business elsewhere.