• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ALFENS.........It lives!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I trawled google last night for it and couldn't find any mention of it. Do NATS call it something else per chance?

Hmmmm

SAC
No, I think NATS call it EAMS. I'll nose around and see if I can get any more tech detail. Anyway, you lot should have had a letter from HQ Air by now.

U

unclenelli

I hope they just buy it (copperchase or eams) straight off the shelf and install it. The last thing they ever want to do is "tweak" it for military use.
JPA was an off the shelf purchase that was then "tweaked" - The first thing it did was forget what a bank holiday was!!!!!
Then it overpaid my claim and no-one could work out how to get the money back from me
Then it said I was in Basrah - I've never been to Basrah, but that's where it sent my pay statements
Then it forgot to pay my GYH
Then it couldn't give me my accommodation arrears, so at the moment I'm not paying to live-in until I catch up with it.
Then some idiot nominated it for an award!!!!!

If it works out of the box, then it'll work when installed.
If it's tweaked - we're f**ked and someone will die!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Thanks for that, something is better than nothing. Looks a lot like the NATS NOTAM site, which is user friendly. I hate to say it, but if this is EAMS, we may have bought a good system. It'll never catch on you know.

H

Hammer

Ive been away from ALFENS for 6 months now but NATS offered the RAF this system at the same time as EDS offered MFMIS. The RAF wanted phase two of MFMIS as they could do all the low level bookings online (a la ALFENS). Unfortunately the NATS system is a messaging system only but it is 100%guaranteed delivery of messages and they will man the helpdesk. Which is a bonus as it saves us manning it, which ive done twice now!!

seafire

LAC
Alfens Printers

Alfens Printers

YES the ALFENS printers are Rubbish and always were - the complete printer with the fanfold paper is unique to ALFENS - even the maintenance contractor offered to supply new printers becuase it was costing to much to repair however, no other printer is compatible with the software!!!

Fearless Leader

Corporal
What's Replaced ALFENS?

What's Replaced ALFENS?

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread!

If ALFENS is dead, what system is now being used by the RAF for low-level airspace bookings and flight management?

I'm asking because I've had a conversation with someone I work with and he's trying to pass on a view that sounded to me like something from the 1970s. So if I could get an up-to-date perspective then it would be greatly appreciated and I can put this guy back in his box.

Best regards,

Fearless Leader.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
ALFENS was NEVER used as designed for end user Low Flying Bookings and airspace management, they couldn't get it to work. In the end it became an over priced NOTAM printer and AFTN flight Plan machine. It was replaced over 4 years ago by a hybrid civil system called Mil-EAMS, which was rolled out very quickly and did exactley the same as what ALFENS was actually used for, but better (and cheaper)