• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air Eng Training rumour

G

Ginger beer

Ladies/Gents

Having been away from trade matters for some time now, Does anyone know about the rumour that Air Engineer manning is so bad that they are about to reopen the trade and start training once more? Does anyone know the REAL manning figures and exit rates in the Flight Engineer trade? I've heard all sorts of conflicting information, but no solid facts. And finally, if they do reopen training, are there any experienced ex-instructors left to do the job, or will it be a goat as usual? Thoughts/comments?

I haven't heard any rumour of re starting training, but it might be sensible to do so with the in service dates for FSTA and A400M sliping steadily to the right. I think most of the most recent instructors are still in circulation , but most are doing non Air Eng jobs at the moment.

G

Ginger beer

Bit of an update for those interested,

Had it on VERY good auth, that the powers that be are concerned about manning levels and training will begin in 2 years or so.. Also, for those with the CAA tick, DHL are short for their Brussells operation, so that may lead to a few more leaking away. I'd really like an accurate manning figure/forecast, but I don't thingk even PMA know what the true figures are.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
But won't there be a surplus when MR2 is retired and MRA4 takes over?

The MR2 could 'allegedly' be short of that trade already...and the MR4 could 'allegedly' be slipping to the right on a regular basis...all conjecture of course...:pDT_Xtremez_15:

G

Ginger beer

Thats the point exactly. And of course with MRA4 slipping and FSTA not even close to a drawing board, the figures don't work. Of course the suddenmini surge of NGR/PVR has increased the problem. The way I've heard it, the only stations to be on top of the manning are Lyn and Waddo, the others are down on manpower. And as an aside the youngest FE will be retired 5 years BEFORE the E-3, and he'll work alone fo his last few years too! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Converted ground engineers is the way ahead ! :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Decent lineys, with a good knowledge of the aircraft sent on a type specific AE course, just to top up the manpower.

G

Ginger beer

Sospan,

The CAA wouldn't accept that. They tried to do this some years ago on K hercs, but it was deemed to be illegal. FE's must do an approved course. I think it was also deemed illegal when some nutter wanted to train an ALM on a type specific course recently. To me, i'ts not rocket science, reopen the school with limited staffing and push a few students through each year. The Sim phase can be done type specific by the relevant OCU. Then again, when did common sense ever prevail?