• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AI holiday advice please.

rafwag

LAC
We're a family of 5 - with 3 children who will be 10,9 and 7, and are looking at booking our first family foreign holiday (Disneyland Paris doesn't count!) during the Easter holidays 2013.

At the moment we are being drawn towards AI holidays but are having a bit of trouble deciding where to go. Egypt has been strongly recommended to us but Mr Rafwag has concerns about travelling to that part of the world with all the recent troubles and I have concerns about the chances of upset tummies etc (plus we have 3 blonde children and fear returning without them and maybe with a camel or 2 instead :)). I don't want to stay in a sprawling high-rise hotel metropolis with 20 swimming pools and 4000 people staying there, which is why we have ruled out certain destinations. Wherever we go, we'd like the children to enjoy it for different reasons, whether it's being able to swim everyday, make new friends or being able to experience the country. So, ideally we would like a 2 bedroomed apartment with opportunities to explore a little. We have chosen Easter so it will be a little cheaper and maybe a bit cooler, but also because after a current deployment we are looking forward to spending time together again as a family.

We would be really grateful for any advice, experiences or recommendations people would like to share.

Last edited:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Our last 2 AI holidays have both been to the Dominican Republic. The hotels are usually to a good standard and the entertainment staff are second to none and they look after all ages of children and adults alike.

Looking to Cuba for our next holiday but that just my choice as I've always wanted to go.....

I have egypt on my to do list as well and really wouldnt worry too much about past troubles especially if you can get a great deal !

Crack on................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you get a really good AI resort it's the best holiday ever...buffet and a'la carte dining, kids never ask you for anything, beer is cold and the sun is hot...You'll easily gain 1/2 a stone over a fortnight and not want to leave.

Get a bad AI resort and after a few days you'll be on first name terms with the rep, you'll feel like one of a herd of cattle as you queue for sub-standard food whilst Russians push in without blinking an eyelid...The beer is sh1te, the wine 11% proof and anything that would make it a better experience costing extra...

I've experienced both examples and can say that I now follow an SOP before booking anything.

1. Choose decent holiday company. Thomson as a minimum although is budget isn't an issue then Sandals or similar. If you choose 1st choice/Thomas Cook because they seem like value for money you are mis-informed...They are generally cheaper because they are cheap! Honestly if it would appear to cost you £2-300 more to go with a good company then spend it as you'll spend way more than tha with a crap travel company dining out to get something decent to eat.

2. Once I've identified a provider and resort I google it to death and weigh up what I've found. Sites like Tripadvisor are OK if taken with a suitably sized pinch of salt...be sceptical of any 5 star grading expecially when it contradicts the previous 30 gradings...In Turkey I saw the Thomas Cook rep putting on a fantastic report and 5 star grading for the place we were in directly contradicting what everyone else had said before because the wite-ups were slagging [rightfully] off the resort. I take only ratings that have 4 stars seriously and especially ones that say some positive but also make the effort to seek out negative points as well...no where is perfect!

3. Avoid anywhere where Russains frequent in any numbers...They push in for everything, steal, are incredibly rude, stack their plates and trays up with mpuntains of food then leave most of it, drink all day until comatose at the bar, rude to staff and did I say they were rude? This means Egypt is a worry as they love the place! We went to Turkey last year (Marmaris Palace) and they were everywhere...we will never go there again.

4. I now try to look for places where yanks frequent...They are generally always ridicuously polite and good value for a laugh but most importantly of all they do not tolerate poor service at all...in fact when we got ourselves moved into the Park Royal Hotel (US owned and patronised) in Cancun after I bribed the rep $300 to get us out of an AI hell hole (Caribbean Princess) the change of atmosphere was tangible...our holiday began then and it was one of the best.

Good luck...in the end if it's your first time anything will seem good but there is bad-good and good-good. Look out for discounts for service people as well...

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Like most others I've done AI that are great (Cancun) and AI that make you feel like a second class citizen (Malta and Bulgaria), now if I'm minded to go anywhere it'll be B&B only. When budgeting you need to take into account that whilst you may not need to pay out any extras you might have to have a decent drink or meal.

Agree with the go where the Americans go and ignore any 1 or 5 star reviews on trip advisor, no where is that good and no where is that bad.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
We've done All inclusive in Dominican Republic and Egypt. Dom Rep was better, not least because of the lack of Russians (rude b@stards). As has been said, avoid the uber cheap as you will end up eating elsewhere.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Funny different people and completely different opinions. I've just returned from a week AI in Turkey (given it was an adults only hotel) but I dont remember any Russians and I couldn't recommend it enough. Similarly with T'egypt I would happily return there. We were AI at Naama Bay (hotel Tropitel which I looked the other day and was surprised to see it was only a 3* now as I'd of thought it was at least 4). The hotel was resort center and just a stones throw from the beach. If I'm honest though from speaking to friends over the years I would look seriously at Turkey. Some of the family compexes look brilliant with plenty for the kids to do and at AI they can eat as much Ice Cream in the afternoon as they like - otherwise it can start to get expensive buying them some. I've always used either First Choice, Thomas Cook or thompson for my holidays and I've thoroughly enjoyed every holiday I've ever been on.

Ronsuddes

SAC
AI Holiday

AI Holiday

We're a family of 5 - with 3 children who will be 10,9 and 7, and are looking at booking our first family foreign holiday (Disneyland Paris doesn't count!) during the Easter holidays 2013.

At the moment we are being drawn towards AI holidays but are having a bit of trouble deciding where to go. Egypt has been strongly recommended to us but Mr Rafwag has concerns about travelling to that part of the world with all the recent troubles and I have concerns about the chances of upset tummies etc (plus we have 3 blonde children and fear returning without them and maybe with a camel or 2 instead :)). I don't want to stay in a sprawling high-rise hotel metropolis with 20 swimming pools and 4000 people staying there, which is why we have ruled out certain destinations. Wherever we go, we'd like the children to enjoy it for different reasons, whether it's being able to swim everyday, make new friends or being able to experience the country. So, ideally we would like a 2 bedroomed apartment with opportunities to explore a little. We have chosen Easter so it will be a little cheaper and maybe a bit cooler, but also because after a current deployment we are looking forward to spending time together again as a family.

We would be really grateful for any advice, experiences or recommendations people would like to share.

I can recommend the Nestor Hotel in Ayia Napa. First Class food. The whole complex is unbelievably clean.
Everyone speaks English. Thomson; Jet2.com and Thomas Cook all do it. We were dubious flying out to Cyprus with jet2.com but their flight was excellent. AI and Half board are both available.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Been to Egypt 20 times. Just booked for the xperience sea breeze in January. Never had a problem. I always go off season between October and February. Go twice a year. June July August is too hot IMHO. Most of the hotels are the same. Been to hurghada taba heights sharm and makadi bay. A lot of hotels in Egypt are out of the way and require a taxi ride to the nearest built up area. Have a look at hurghada and some of the hotels with water parks. I go to Egypt cos I'm guaranteed sun

Olu Deniz, Turkey is my favourite, Different nationals group in the different hotels, Turquoise and the Alize hotels are worth looking at on an AI basis as pretty much cater for the british in the majority and only the odd east european. The turkish love and are mad about kids and will be trying to entertain them all the time.

The rooms are air conditioned and basic but clean and that goes for the food as well bit european, bit turkish, fish (mainly sea bass is to die for !) The resot itself has the Blue lagoon which is stunning and if you have lost all grip of sanity you can paraglide of mount babagaz which is about twice the height of Snowdon ! in october they have the world air games which i am off to have a watch of again in october.

as someone else said Marmaris, Bodrum and ishmayla are full of russians and are more like blackpool not turkey and are full of east europeans. Olu is quiet.

Thomas cook and Monarch do holidays there monarch being the cheaper prices

Theres plenty of clips of the trips, the strip and the blue lagoon on youtube

hope this helps

Cheers

Tedlooney

Sergeant
If you get a really good AI resort it's the best holiday ever...buffet and a'la carte dining, kids never ask you for anything, beer is cold and the sun is hot...You'll easily gain 1/2 a stone over a fortnight and not want to leave.

Get a bad AI resort and after a few days you'll be on first name terms with the rep, you'll feel like one of a herd of cattle as you queue for sub-standard food whilst Russians push in without blinking an eyelid...The beer is sh1te, the wine 11% proof and anything that would make it a better experience costing extra

Vim is quite right, we used to do AI when our lad was a youngster and experienced both sides of it. We had a couple of brilliant ones and a couple that were not so good. Indeed one place we went to was so bad we ate out every day and hardly spent any time at the hotel so AI was a waste of money. So yes, do some research and choose carefully.

In the end we found it much better for us to get a self catering apartment. The best apartments we had would be on a small complex with at least a swimming pool and a bar/cafe. We preferred Greece or Cyprus where we found the locals were great and they seemed to love kids. We also had a couple of good holidays in Portugal.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Olu Deniz, Turkey is my favourite, Different nationals group in the different hotels, Turquoise and the Alize hotels are worth looking at on an AI basis as pretty much cater for the british in the majority and only the odd east european. The turkish love and are mad about kids and will be trying to entertain them all the time.

The rooms are air conditioned and basic but clean and that goes for the food as well bit european, bit turkish, fish (mainly sea bass is to die for !) The resot itself has the Blue lagoon which is stunning and if you have lost all grip of sanity you can paraglide of mount babagaz which is about twice the height of Snowdon ! in october they have the world air games which i am off to have a watch of again in october.

as someone else said Marmaris, Bodrum and ishmayla are full of russians and are more like blackpool not turkey and are full of east europeans. Olu is quiet.

Thomas cook and Monarch do holidays there monarch being the cheaper prices

Theres plenty of clips of the trips, the strip and the blue lagoon on youtube

hope this helps

Cheers

We've been to Turkey a number of times and like the quieter places, Olu Deniz is a great place and paragliding off Mt Babadag and over the Blue Lagoon is awesome.

rafwag

LAC
Thank you everyone for all your information and help. It's certainly given me plenty to think about.

We visited Turkey 12 years ago (pre-children) staying in Hisaronu so are familiar with Olu Deniz and have to agree it is a beautiful part of the world. Just found it a little too hot when we went in August, so would be hoping that April offers a much more civilised climate! My husband lost his sanity on that visit and did the paragliding, leaving me waiting in a cafe for him to return - not sure he would be feeling that brave again if we were to re-visit.

Will continue with the research and see what comes up.