• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Admin Discharge on Med Grounds during TERMINAL LEAVE?

Where to start...?

In a nutshell, am due to start GRT leave in 8 weeks, followed by ILA leave c/fwd from last year, followed by termination leave. As of 20 Jun this year, I will effectively be on 'gardening leave' in the run up to my exit date of 23 Sep 13. I will have 'cleared' the section before i leave and plan to clear the unit a week before I exit.

I sat a permanent med board at Henlow in 2009 (post heart surgery), and was allowed to continue in service until my 22 yr point. As I have other med issues that have developed since then, I have been given various TMES downgrades with accompanying limitations, however, this has never stopped me from carrying out my duties apart from being undeployable outside base areas.

Anyway, my SMO has insisted I sit another permanent med board at Henlow so that my MES can be assessed before I can leave the Service. He assures me this is routine practice as I will be unable to exit on a TMES.

With this in mind, the current waiting list for permanent med board appts at Henlow is approx 3 months, at which point I will be halfway through my gardening leave approaching terminal leave.

Can I be 'admin discharged on medical grounds' at this point, literally weeks before i complete my 22, thus forgoing my terminal benefits and IP?

Anyone heard of similar cases?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Janner

LAC
I don't know the legal ramifications, but it would be a massive PR own goal. I can't see them doing it.

P

pie sandwich

I am not 100% certain on this but he could be doing you a favour, by which I mean if you are then classed as medically discharged you will then be given a medical pension plus lump sum on top of your normal pension gained at the 22 year point.
But give the SPVA a call in the morning and ask them. They will know more about this than we will.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
I am not 100% certain on this but he could be doing you a favour, by which I mean if you are then classed as medically discharged you will then be given a medical pension plus lump sum on top of your normal pension gained at the 22 year point.
But give the SPVA a call in the morning and ask them. They will know more about this than we will.

An admin discharge would be the worst case scenario because it would mean a preserved pension rather than benefits paid immediately, because the 22 yr point has not been reached.

If in AFPS 75 a medical discharge means that the pension codes used for the pension and lump sum are better than the compulsory discharge codes.

If in AFPS 05 it is more tricky because a Tier 1 medical discharge attracts an extra lump sum of between 6 and 24 months pay but the pension is preserved until age 65. Tier 2 and 3 medical discharges attract enhanced pensions, paid immediately.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Personally I think the doc is just covering his arse.

i don't believe you will get med' discharged so close to your original exit date. However one possible bonus to you is that, should your condition deteriorate within a specified timescale (I think it could be 18 months) you could go back to SVPA and potentially be able to review your pension entitlements, (anticipate a bit of a battle) but it could be something for you to consider. Good luck

Doubt it will be a med discharge. Maybe an admin discharge on medical grounds. However, because I will have already begun my final 3 months of GRT, ILA and terminal leave, I was hoping someone in the know might be able to confirm I would 'be safe'...

LilStill

Sergeant
Sorry to be the bearer, but I have had personnel whose goalposts were moved right as they started gardening leave. It was, however, in their favour. Whether this makes a difference - I could not honestly say.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It is possible to have your discharge status and date can be changed whether you are on GRT, annual leave or terminal leave. This happened to my wife when she left and was very advantageous to her situation.

There will be pros and con's to either outcome and you will sit down at the end with the Doc and be able to make your wishes known, so be prepared for this.

You might want to chat to SSAFA RAFA and the SPVA before hand so that you can understand what the different outcomes will mean to you not only at the present time but also in the future.

The med board process can be intimidating but the staff there try their best to make it as easy on you as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 4

I have been down this route before in 09 for a Perm Med Board. I am aware the Board President will consider 4 possible options. Retain & upgrade, retain and exit at 22yrs with lowered JMES/PMES, med discharge or the very worst case scenario - admin discharge on medical grounds.

The thing is, if you are med discharged you are still entitled to your GRT, and terminal leave.

If they choose to admin discharge me on med grounds, I will have already entered this leave period and surely must be allowed to complete it? This being the case, I will have completed my 22 at the completion point, thus the beneficiary of an immediate pension, no?

My single concern in all this - will I be allowed to complete my pensionable engagement or will they simply 'bin me' a few weeks short of 22 just to save a few quid. How can I drag the process on in order to achieve my 'planned' exit date.

SPVA will not talk specifics to me until I have been 'boarded', by which point it may all be in vain as the med Board will have reached a decision already.

Gilbert Blades me thinks.....

Last edited:

LilStill

Sergeant
That is a shame about SPVA and I wish I could be of more help, but every situation is different and I have only seen this once. Chf Clk and or SSAFA are good bets if you haven't already.

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
No one is out to stitch you up in this process and the most likely scenario in this case is that you are discharged on your normal RSE date. If it's more beneficial to you, you may get a med discharge with the associated benefits but I think the most unlikely thing to happen is that they kick you out short of your 22 year point with nothing. I know it's difficult not to think about it but people will try to look after your best interests here not do you over to save a bob or two!

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Slightly off topic but........
What is the main difference between Medical discharge and Admin discharge on Medical Grounds?
Only wondering cause I'm due to face the Board soon

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Tell that to the many who were made redundant just short of their IP Point....

Anyone just short of their IP point got a reduced amount based on time served. Anyone more than four years from their IP didn't get it. Personally I think we'd all like to have seen any redundee get an IP but it's not gonna happen nowadays. A Cpl with around 16 years walked away with about £75000 all in so most people will survive.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
No one is out to stitch you up in this process and the most likely scenario in this case is that you are discharged on your normal RSE date. If it's more beneficial to you, you may get a med discharge with the associated benefits but I think the most unlikely thing to happen is that they kick you out short of your 22 year point with nothing. I know it's difficult not to think about it but people will try to look after your best interests here not do you over to save a bob or two!

I'd see admin discharge as being very unlikely, and in the other circumstance you won't be left out of pocket, they'll just be different packages.

Med discharges tend to attract enhanced GRT and pension but you cannot commute so it's a bit swings and roundabouts.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
admin vs medical discharge

admin vs medical discharge

Slightly off topic but........
What is the main difference between Medical discharge and Admin discharge on Medical Grounds?
Only wondering cause I'm due to face the Board soon

If it is an admin discharge on medical grounds, and you are an AFPS 75 member who has not reached the IP point, you have to wait for a preserved pension at age 60/65. If it is a medical discharge, and you are an AFPS 75 member, you yet an invaliding pension which is paid straight away.

In AFPS 05 an admin discharge on medical grounds before age 55 would result in a preserved pension payable at age 65, although if you have reached the EDP point, you would get that. If you are medically discharged with a tier 1 condition, the pension is preserved but you would qualify for a lump sum of between 6 and 24 months pay or the EDP, depending upon length of service. Tier 2 and 3 conditions qualify for an ill health pension payable immediately.

See you PM.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
#Joe90

So you agree then, those who were made redundant just prior to their IP Point did loose out and a few bob was saved at their expense!

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
#Joe90

So you agree then, those who were made redundant just prior to their IP Point did loose out and a few bob was saved at their expense!

No, those that were made redundant just before the revised IP still walked away with enough money to not work at all for two and a half years. Pensions all round would have been great but the redundancies were supposed to be money saving in the long run.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the positive comments so far, particularly to the 'humble scribe'...

In an attempt to get the thread back on track and to a fruitful conclusion, it would appear I will simply have to wait for the Henlow board and see what results. The majority of response on this forum seems to favour a positive outcome, which incidentally was also echoed by the WO RMC today who seems to think it will conclude favourably.

That aside, a little gremlin on my shoulder keeps repeating "what if they do it, just imagine, what if?"

I guess by the time they board me, review the findings and maybe look to employ me in a role to suit my PMES - I will have almost exited the Service.

IP = £700+ pcm, for what would appear 'years and years'...
Max commutation = 16k
Terminal grant = £31k

or

Terminal grant

Hmmmm??

Anyway, cheers for listening.

Ironically, I have had more assistance and reassurances from this friendly little forum compared with any of the panic telephone calls made to Henlow, bar the RMC WO.

Cheers peeps.

FootTapper

Sergeant
I was very grateful not to have hit my IP point when I was made redundant.

The lump sum was far more use to me than the pittance of an IP would have been.