• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Access to Gym

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'll not go into my personal circumstances here, but I have no access to a Service gym and I am in a disagreement with my Unit over access to a civvy gym. Is there a maximum travelling time/distance written down anywhere that I can perhaps use to sort this out?

Cheers in advance for any help anyone can give.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Same boat

Same boat

We have civi gym membership at our place, I think the argument in our case was the fact that you couldn't travel to a local service gym and back during your lunch hour.

Although at the time nobody at our place lived on camp, singlies or separated all in SSSA and married in their own place.

Gym's don't like to pay it out, understandably, but the RAF want you to be fit so something's got to be done about it.

B

Bucc Boy

I am paying £17.50 a month membership to my local gym away from camp, 100 miles away from camp in fact. So are you saying that because it is the RAF that insists I maintain my fitness they will pay this or at least something towards it?

Was that a flying pig I just saw top dancing on a cloud!

D

demonfitter

Dont know your personal circs but if you work at a station with Gym facilities your are expected to go there. There story is if you choose to live away from your unit you will not get anything towards costs as you can use the facilities whilst at work.

We get JJB membership as we can not get to a military unit in our lunch. but thats not through choice so they have to pay.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I am paying £17.50 a month membership to my local gym away from camp, 100 miles away from camp in fact. So are you saying that because it is the RAF that insists I maintain my fitness they will pay this or at least something towards it?

Was that a flying pig I just saw top dancing on a cloud!

I think he means he is stationed somewhere without a gym, IE a CIO or somewhere.

B

Bucc Boy

I think he means he is stationed somewhere without a gym, IE a CIO or somewhere.

I assume that all these locations have a parent unit which is where they would actually complete their bi-annual testing.

Mightierthan

Corporal
Happy to be corrected, but I believe that there is nothing set in stone and each case would be decided on its own merits as money would come from the particular station as opposed to central funds.

I think this is possibly because the provision of a gym is a welfare issue as people can keep fit without a gym - running, cycling, lifting rocks (the mineral kind, not the gunners!) for example

docbombhead

Sergeant
When I was foot tapping up in Stranraer, wittering paid for us to use the local leasure center we could use all of the facilities and we had the main hall booked once a week for sport etc which we also used for doing our MSFT.

KingGuin

Sergeant
Single Service decision on a case by case merit basis. Application in writing to your HR with rationale for use and costs of gym membership. They will either forward to the Budget Manager or JPAC for approval. In presenting your case remember to quote basic joining prices (attach leafltet etc) and provide as much info as you can. Don't opt for the all singing, all dancing option with Thai dancing girls/boy/ladyboys* and all you can scoff buffet. Think carefully about your case before submitting. I was assignmend to a Unit without a gym and applied, and was granted, basic membership of a local facility. However my Joint Service colleagues were refused given they could maintain fitness by "utilising local metalled roads" i.e. running! Good luck.

*delete as applicable