• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abolishment of rank.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's rumoured that one of the ideas flying around the ivory towers for the "Future RAF" is the total abolishment of rank to assist with "inclusivity".

When exactly did the RAF become a far left experiment?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
There needs to be a command structure in place, but I'm not convinced that it has to be as overt as it is. Within a section/Sqn, those within will know who is in charge and the respect will still exist.

My recollections of many visitors to our area was they would instantly look for the person with the most stripes regardless of whether he/she was the right person to assist them.

Perhaps abolish rank slides for the normal workplace and save them for annual trips to the rockery and deployments?

Deltaitem

Corporal
I've heard they're going to make the oath of allegiance optional and allow union membership to negotiate acceptance of personal weapons.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
With Luck I'll be pushing up daisys before this lunacy becomes reality. Simply put a Jack beats a ten even though they are both cards. No rank structure no organisational structure, bonkers idea.

Said our resident KOS

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
There needs to be a command structure in place, but I'm not convinced that it has to be as overt as it is. Within a section/Sqn, those within will know who is in charge and the respect will still exist.

My recollections of many visitors to our area was they would instantly look for the person with the most stripes regardless of whether he/she was the right person to assist them.

Perhaps abolish rank slides for the normal workplace and save them for annual trips to the rockery and deployments?
In the techie world as you well know mate, first names up to Chf Tech was the normal unless in front of unknown highers officers. Rank slides tell everyone what level the guy is if unknown personally. Officers of course we are referring to HM on the actions we take. I do not agree that rank idents should be abolished. They make things clear in the situations we used to work in. Some of the Airlines I see, the engineers have slides to show their level of authority in the line environment.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
And how would/could it work in the joint service environment - especially one as status conscious as the army where not just the rank but the cap badge determines the pecking order at times....?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
In the techie world as you well know mate, first names up to Chf Tech was the normal unless in front of unknown highers officers. Rank slides tell everyone what level the guy is if unknown personally. Officers of course we are referring to HM on the actions we take. I do not agree that rank idents should be abolished. They make things clear in the situations we used to work in. Some of the Airlines I see, the engineers have slides to show their level of authority in the line environment.
Most of the techies I have worked with (Jags/Tonkas/Harriers) wore a Sqn T shirt and a pair of denims usually tied round the waist. The only rank slides on view were the Sgt on the trade desk, the TM's/FS/WO. If the Sgts were spannering, they'd be in denims like their team. When I joined them on overseas dets for a spannering session, I'd be in a T shirt too.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I do not agree that rank idents should be abolished. They make things clear in the situations we used to work in.
Also in this age of raging wokery using rank as a form of address gets round "accidentally" using the wrong naming pronoun he/she/Ms/shim/it/they/ etc etc. If the system continues to fall down the woke rabbit hole surely the officer corp will have to ditch the sir/maam thing in favour of some gender neutral terms like mate, pal, buddy.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Most of the techies I have worked with (Jags/Tonkas/Harriers) wore a Sqn T shirt and a pair of denims usually tied round the waist. The only rank slides on view were the Sgt on the trade desk, the TM's/FS/WO. If the Sgts were spannering, they'd be in denims like their team. When I joined them on overseas dets for a spannering session, I'd be in a T shirt too.
True, on the local environment of the line or on the hangar floor. I am sure when we had visits or the upper station management about, the overalls were worn up? Oh, they were! Hearing a future Gp Capt shouting out "Its a Tornado!" to Michael Portillo when he visited Colt in 1996 as Sec Def with his SAC tabs showing.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The way the military operates means it not only needs rank, these things need to be easily identifiable.

There’s a lot on unnecessary baggage in peace time so that war time just works.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
The way the military operates means it not only needs rank, these things need to be easily identifiable.

There’s a lot on unnecessary baggage in peace time so that war time just works.
One doesn't disagree with that. To those on here that have been in hot situations.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
And how would/could it work in the joint service environment - especially one as status conscious as the army where not just the rank but the cap badge determines the pecking order at times....?
..and more importantly, their wives.