• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Military (pers) Response to Corona

Captain Kirk

Corporal
A different thread on Corona, teasing out some common sense ideas for intervention/ assistance.
I’ll wager a bet that any response will be crippled by decision makers not thinking about the asset they have sat primed for WW3. We can all be retrained, many quite quickly to be useful in days, if not hours.
Matt Hancock has just said a ventilator needs 5 nurses and a doctor. There aren’t the nurses for that, but that can’t be an answer, then add in doing it in a hotel because of the lack of beds. I have no idea how long it would take to train a ‘helper’ but if you can service an aircraft in a dirty environment you can probably be of use.
I’m choosing that as an example, but there will be many more jobs we can be trained to do quickly, but they’re concentrating on riot control and guarding fuel and food shops. Where I am there’s no issue, apart from toilet rolls;it’s working. They may need more assistance with trucks, but many of us have 7.5t on our licences., which is at least better than nothing. The appetite will soon be there, but they are not ‘forward leaning’,as they love to shout-and asking for volunteers, or even thinking beyond policing/ prison guarding/ defending infra. Personally, I’d help out at a hospital or drive vans to deliver... we’re not about to fight WW3 after all, this is potentially more dangerous. It affects our parents, their parents and our kids.
The problem with any of this is JPA auditing a cup of coffee or a sandwich, if you did claim, or a mileage claim.
The JPA/ training / admin (even to a war zone you get to run round like an idiot for a day or so, and that’s streamlined!)
Expecting a panic in a few weeks, to go and defend a petrol station.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Corona virus couldn't have come at a better time for the military - we are not fighting wars at the moment, nor will we have copious amounts of personnel marching around for the Queen's Birthday Trooping the colour.

Plenty of RAF/Army medics that could be redeployed to hospitals. Stewards could go and push trolleys.

TG1 personnel could all do a one-hour online course to become surgeons, as they are far superior to the rest of the RAF.

J Y Kelly

Corporal
The word from above was not to "Over Plan." When they were talking about the problems of childcare in the event of a schools shutdown, some kind of giant crèche was suggested. I thought that would seem to defeat the object of the shutdown. Look on the bright side maybe the Cosford Airshow will be cancelled.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Corona virus couldn't have come at a better time for the military - we are not fighting wars at the moment, nor will we have copious amounts of personnel marching around for the Queen's Birthday Trooping the colour.

Plenty of RAF/Army medics that could be redeployed to hospitals. Stewards could go and push trolleys.

TG1 personnel could all do a one-hour online course to become surgeons, as they are far superior to the rest of the RAF.
Couldn't agree more. The surgeons will always need someone to mop their sweaty brows and mop the floors.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
It's the usual short sightedness of our leaders. "Just use the military", like we're immune to this and have no need to self isolate if we show symptoms. Probably end up getting MAA'd or charged for not turning up for a Tesco toilet roll guard duty. I can't watch the news anymore, absolute hysteria being fed by them and their irresponsible reporting of sensational bollocks.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I had a wee thought last night. Wouldn't it have been good to have all those Military hospitals ready to help out with this 'crisis'? Pity the Conservative government under John Major decided to close them all.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's the usual short sightedness of our leaders. "Just use the military", like we're immune to this and have no need to self isolate if we show symptoms. Probably end up getting MAA'd or charged for not turning up for a Tesco toilet roll guard duty. I can't watch the news anymore, absolute hysteria being fed by them and their irresponsible reporting of sensational bollocks.
NBC suits and respirators.
252 anyone who catches it...self inflicted wound

:unsure:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What’s the infection rate like in Mother Russia? (Not that their management has ever given their populations welfare that much thought).

Be a great time for Russia to test and tease us and NATO...see how this affects our reflexes and capability.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
What’s the infection rate like in Mother Russia? (Not that their management has ever given their populations welfare that much thought).

Be a great time for Russia to test and tease us and NATO...see how this affects our reflexes and capability.
114 cases as of 17/03/2020