• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A few questions about the 1.5 mile run?

L

laura

Can anyone tell me how the 1.5 mile run on the fitness test is carried out? ie. does the PTI control the speed or do you control it yourself? Is there a warm up period where you build up to the desired speed that isn't counted in the timing or do they start the clock the minute you start running?
Lastly, and this may seem a silly question, but is it always done on an electric treadmill?

L

laura

If that is the case then I will be over the moon... I have no problem with my running however ever since I had a slight 'incident' on a treadmill a few months back I've been a little weary of them! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

I was training to get as fit as possible before going on AT and had been going on the treadmill every day and running at approx 12 kmph so I would just hop on and up the speed quite quickly to aforementioned desired speed... except one day I unwittingly managed to pick the one treadmill in the whole gym that was set to MPH, started my upping the speed as usual and before I could even get to 12 mph my legs went, I tried to hop onto the sides but one leg went before the other and I nearly did the splits before going flying and one of the group of gym instructors who had been standing nearby (just to add to the embarrassment) hit the STOP button for me and told me off for not wearing the safety clip! Stuck to the stepper machine after that...

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AndyCarter

Mine was on a treadmill. I got a 2min warmup I think then the timer started and he set the speed at 12. he coached me to set a 9.43 time by encouraging me to turn the speed up as i was running well. This was at a fitness first gym.

Off topic I had a simular incident. I had just done a load of cardio then got on a machine I hadn't used. turns out it has a delay between setting the speed and achieving the speed as i set it to 16 an though this is fine. I left it there and when the mill caught up I couldn't keep up as I had jelly legs from the cardio. Stayed on though. It could have been bad. So yea Moral is to everyone out there. Know your machines.

L

laura

Hi Andy, sounds like another comedy treadmill moment! Was your test a PJFT or for OASC?

Thanks for the info though, if they do do the test on a treadmill I just wanted to know what to expect so I can practice that way! :)
I'm hoping it's outdoors though, I find it a lot more natural to run on solid ground than on a machine! Well done on the sub-10 minutes, that's really good!

D

dodgysootie

1.5 mile run

1.5 mile run

Mine wasn't on a treadmill, it was up a 1 in 5 hill draging two used car tyres whilst wearing my Respirator. (Mk 10).
Good luck.

L

laura

Mine wasn't on a treadmill, it was up a 1 in 5 hill draging two used car tyres whilst wearing my Respirator. (Mk 10).
Good luck.

Sounds like your average night out in Liverpool!

Was that for the regiment?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For those of you going NCA there is/used to be a 1.5 mile streamimng run so they can put you in the fast, middle or 'huffers and puffers' group for fizz...Its has a twist as once inspected in no.1 phys ed. clothing and speed changed into your running rig you are doing a few stretches looking forward to the relatively short distance of 1.5miles...Off you trot in one big column in pairs at a 'sporty' pace to the start line which is about 2 miles away! The column begins to stretch out as the pace never slows so the quick ones at the front are eventually told to mark time by doing press-ups until the slower ones catch up then they're off again...eventually you reach the start point which is a big field and its explained (whilst you jog on the spot) that 1.5 miles is twice around this area and off you go..Once finished you log your time (whilst jogging on the spot) and wait for the rest to finish...once they've finished and your legs are really starting to burn now from all this jogging on the spot (and if you slack you get to have a rest by pushing out 50-100 press-ups or until you drop) you get to run home at the same 'sporty' pace via a different route but still it felt like about two miles...It was difficult to judge through the pink haze I was experiencing at the time but I did notice lots of people falling, puking and generally bailing out...You get lots of encouragement for this in the form of shouty PTI's asking you if you want to leave the course etc etc so thats OK then...

And that was just day one...:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:
L

laura

Soo the lesson of the day is... get yourself super-hero-strong marathon-running-fit before showing up?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Soo the lesson of the day is... get yourself super-hero-strong marathon-running-fit before showing up?

The biggest reason for folk dropping out of ITC is physical fitness and the lack of it...I was serving prior to starting so I hit every circuit session they had each week at Lossie...On the couple of days when there was none I was in the cardio suite with a couple of workmates for encouragement getting some miles under my belt...we ran to and from the gym from our place of work as well...I laid off the rugby 3 months prior to starting to ensure I didn't miss my slot through injury (that was the biggest sacrifice!) but instead ran on the beach...

Luckily for me I am broad shouldered and back then due to my job and from my sports had a deal of upper body strength...The people that had fitness on ITC but lacked upper body strength struggled during the leadership stuff where you get to carry pine poles, hernia boxes, barrels etc up some nice steep hills, then down again, then up again (repeat ad nauseum)...

I can not stress this enough...every mile you put in prior to starting NCAITC is time wisely spent...Even if you're no sport billy if you can up your game to 2 miles 5 times a week (2 miles shouldn't take you much longer than 25 mins each day plus stretching) and 30 mins of upper body centric weights then you'll be making life so much easier for yourself...

I witnessed people nearly puking prior to the start of our thrice weekly fizz sessions due to bricking it so much about what was coming...That is no way to take on a course....You're not enjoying it and they are not seeing your best side...

L

laura

That sounds like really good advice, thanks. I've had a lesson over the last couple of days just how much I need to improve my upper body strength so am going to really push that now, as well as the running and general core strength.

Thanks again, I'll definitely take it all on board!!