• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

606 Sqn

I was looking at some 606 Sqn media the other day, I forget whether it was images or the video they have posted up. I saw someone marshalling and also some guys working on underslung loads.

Do they do this?

Respectfully,
Intrigued of Dagenham.

S

Snidely Whiplash

Most trades at Benson get involved in Heli-handling skills. The Squadron exercises twice per year on Salisbury Plain and gives people the chance to remain current in Rotors Turning Refuel and underslung loads. Just bear in mind that we normally train weekends when nobody else is working!

We also support the load park activity at Benson and some bods will come in on a spare evening or weekday to help out. There's an open evening on 23rd April if you fancy a look.

Regards

Snidely

Last edited:
F

FrogPrince

655 Sqn AAC (V)

655 Sqn AAC (V)

Due to be up and running at Middle Wallop this Summer...

FP

D

darrenwills

[ The AAC are standing up a TA Apache groundcrew Sqn at Middle Wallop soon so I may have a gander at that too!!![/quote]

Can anyone give more information on this, im looking to join the TA, i understand the TA unit at netheravon has been disbanded. and this is perfect for me if it is true.

Ive been googling for ages and cant seem to find any information about this/

D

darrenwills

i did find a small bit of information: is it likely to be 655 Sqn AAC (V) that is being formed at Middle Wallop???????????????????????????

D

darrenwills

Thanks for that, Ill call them tomorrow.

My back ground, none regular but many years in the AIR CADETS!! both as a cadet and instructor.

I always said that once I stopped enjoying it ill give it up, i gave it up and im now looking for a new challenge and have always been interested in the AAC. and now happen to live around the corner from middle wallop!!

:pDT_Xtremez_44:

F

FrogPrince

Aac (v)

Aac (v)

Darren,

Check your PM's.

FP
Vendeur d'oignions extraordinaires
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

sapper

LAC
Most trades at Benson get involved in Heli-handling skills. The Squadron exercises twice per year on Salisbury Plain and gives people the chance to remain current in Rotors Turning Refuel and underslung loads. Just bear in mind that we normally train weekends when nobody else is working!

Snidely

I am looking at applying soon for the MTD position, once my day job gives me the permission to apply! I thought about the RAF Regiment but at 39 it sounds like a lot of hard work.

I am currently working shifts and may have problems attending every month. Is it expected that everyone turns up every month?

How quickly could I get the RTR Course after completing basic training I already have my LGV Class II for my driving duties.

I have done a bit of underslung loads before when I was in the Army and like the prospect of combining the different roles with the driving.

Whats the position with 606 and Op Herrick, how many have gone out, what trades are going, have there been compulsary call-ups or voluntary? A compulsary would make it "easier" for me...with work etc!!

What about the fitness levels for the basic training, what level is expected?

Any other bits of info you can offer would be appreciated.

Regards

Sapper

S

Snidely Whiplash

Sapper

Sorry for the late response but am currently out on Herrick as a Regiment gunner. I'll try and answer your questions in the order you asked:

There are plenty of fit gunners over the 40 mark, I am 48 and employed on a rifle flight. It's down to you at the end of the day.

There are plenty of people who are on shift work and nobody is going to attend all training weekends. There are a couple of mandatory ones and you will be expected to attend as many others as is reasonably possible.

Places on RTR courses are subject to availability and your ability to attend. Not something I am involved in so cannot give you a definitive answer.

Support to Op Herrick is one of the Sqn core outputs. Regiment, Supply .Ops and Engineering are all playing their part. All mobilisations are voluntary at the moment but are done as a compulsory call out. It's up to you if you tell your employer before hand.

Fitness tests are based on the multi stage fitness test,(bleep test) and involve running 20 metre shuttles upto about level 8 at your age which isnt difficult. It is easier than the army bpft.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info then let me know.

Regards

Snidely