• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6.8 (bleep) in miles per minutes?

K

k9138

Sorry to repeat this topic again :pDT_Xtremez_42:
I know that someone had a fab little chart on here a while ago but for the life of me I cant find it and I cant get the PTI threads up on this at the moment to trawl through either.

Does anyone know what I should aim for on a straight run to get over my target 6.8 (and god isn't that low compared to the guy's!)

Also any tips on turning to save the old knees:pDT_Xtremez_15:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Level 6 is equivalent to 11km/h, or slightly less than 7mph (about 8m44 for a mile) if that is any use to you. The total distance run to get to 6.8 is 980m.

The trick with turning (as taught me by my local friendly PTI) is:

a) always turn on your stronger leg (open to debate but the logic works for me).
b) don't slow down as you reach the end of the shuttle; plant your foot on the line, pivot on the ball of that foot (takes the pressure of the knee ligaments) and push off from the same foot. Do that even on the lower levels.

M

musclemech

I teach people to turn as TBJ suggested;

The faster your furthest leg (ie the one that touches the line) hits the ground the stronger it will push back, so carry on at the same speed into the turn.

Don't worry that others around you will be slowing down. You will come out of the turn ahead of them and can ease back a bit during the running bit, thus conserving your energy.

If you do this you will also run less than 20m on each shuttle, which is an added bonus! Whatever you do, don't do the run round the line in a big arc as this can add 2 or 3m to each shuttle!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beep_test gives you all the details about the test including speeds and distances and cumulative distances.

HTH
MM

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Advice and a question...!

Advice and a question...!

we got coaching through our fitness test, the PTI said that if we burst off the line then stride out in the last 12-15m then we would expend less effort, seemed to work for me. Got to 9-10 (my pass level for being 26) without too much fuss. It's just the press ups that do me in, being 6 ft 5 and having arms like mr tickle makes life a little tricky. Is there any advice on strengthening my gangly arms?!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Another little trick taught me by a PTI was to figure out my one minute maximum, halve it and do 3 sets with a minute rest between each every day for a week. At the end of the week, repeat the one minute maximum test and continue. I'm now up to 32 press ups - far more than the 19 I need. Not bad for 5 minutes a day.

The same system works for sit-ups.

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Thanks TBJ, I can get the actual 21 done, but the last few are always a pain in the bum. It's just nice to do the min with ease when surrounded by the lads!